Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Are downpipes really worth it on our cars? M278 and M157

Soooo in talking with a tuner the other day some interesting things came up that made me doubt my own knowledge of how turbo cars work. According to this tuner he stated that stage II (downpipes) really doesn't make more power other than make more noise. That baffled me as I know for a fact back in my B5 S4 days that doing downpipes replacing the cats made at a minimum of 30 hp on the same Maha dyno we would use. However, per this tuner he was stating that now on more modern cars it's not necessary to do downpipes but that in order to make good power you just go full turbo swap right off the bat. Not all of us can do that at the drop of a dime because of different reasons, some mainly being warranty.
    He was also stating that people who claimed that the dp's made power was basically because they would use multiple dynos and take the error from one dyno and claim what was a power gain but in reality if you used the same dyno it would show no increase. There was way more said but I just want to get what you guys (Please feel free to chime in Sticky) think.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It has to as you are removing a restriction upstream.

The downpipes are a great mod on modern motors from what I've seen. Some tuners even request them before doing any Stage II tunes.

Who is this tuner saying downpipes aren't worth it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I will DM you

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Agree with Sticky. The only time DP's will not add power is if stock ones are not restrictive or if the turbos are already at maximum flow. Based on real world results we can assume the turbos have more in them and decent DP's will add flow. I'd have thought 25-30hp was reasonable apples to apples.
    Hung like Einstein, brains of a horse. Click here to enlarge