Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Mercedes to launch 53 AMG models with 430+ horsepower turbo 3.0 liter M256 I6 variant

Mercedes-AMG is going to squeeze another model in between the 43 and 63 AMG vehicles. The upcoming 53 AMG's are expected to utilize a variant of the M256 turbocharged inline-6 engine architecture.

Click here to enlarge

This is a new modular engine family. The E53 AMG coupe for example is expected to make about 430 horsepower. It should also make for an interesting tuning platform unless AMG goes out of their way to lock tuners out.

It will also be interesting to note what role the electric compressor plays and if it will be possible to overspin it.

Engine M 256 M 276
    No. of cylinders/arrangement 6/in-line 6/V
    Displacement per cylinder cc 500 499
    Displacement cc 2999 2996
    Cylinder spacing mm 90 106
    Bore mm 83 88
    Stroke mm 92.4 82.1
    Bore/stroke 1.11 0.93
    Connecting rod length mm 140.5 148.5
    Rated output kW/hp over 300/408 245/333
    Peak torque Nm over 500 480
    Compression ratio 1: 10.5 10.5
    Three sets of brand new 991.2 3.0 headers for sale: Kline, Fabspeed, and Vektor Ceramic Coated

IPD plenum for Porsche 991.2 3.0 for sale: $650

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yayyy more I6's. I still love that architecture and Im glad they are branching out from the damn V6 motors.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Unfortunately, compared to the V6, its gone from over square to hugely under square. Hopefully its not a total tank engine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
    Unfortunately, compared to the V6, its gone from over square to hugely under square. Hopefully its not a total tank engine.
    Soooo.... The BMW approach.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Holy $#@!, talk about diluting the brand. So much for the "one man, one engine" philosophy.

It's just a matter of time until they start calling these "AMG Sport" models, then stuff even more AMG-variants in wherever they can.

The nomenclature doesn't even make sense anymore - 43, 53, 63 don't mean a thing.

Such a shame.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BLKROKT Click here to enlarge
    Holy $#@!, talk about diluting the brand. So much for the "one man, one engine" philosophy.

It's just a matter of time until they start calling these "AMG Sport" models, then stuff even more AMG-variants in wherever they can.

The nomenclature doesn't even make sense anymore - 43, 53, 63 don't mean a thing.

Such a shame.
    Copy cats. BMW did it first
    Cadillac V2 CTS-V - 6MT - Lingenfelter upper pulley, Airaid CF Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, fluidyne H/X

Honda S2000 AP1 - White on red - 9000rpm vtec bruh

Porsche 991.1 PDK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
    Manufacturers are overwhelmingly going to 500CC/cyl architecture due to the way regulations and emissions rules are written. That' why everything is so cookie-cutter these days i.e. 2.0L I4's, 3.0L V/I6's, 4.0L V8s, etc.

Also why you see turbochargers on everything - it's become the best way to successfully navigate the myriad global emissions regs.

Undersquare engines are good for torque, which makes sense for drivability down low when engine is off- or low-boost, keeping general consumers happier by masking lag a bit.

Car & Driver did an informative article on it a while back, might be online.
    2009 535i Sport
    Software: JB4 G5 | MHD | Trebila Tune | XHP Stage 3
    Hardware: GC Lites | Inlets | Outlet | 3" D-P's | 7" FMIC | S2 LPFP | TBI | DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | 3.5 TMAP | RB PCV | Koni FSD

2017 AMG C63
    currently stock ... mods to come

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Main benefit of undersquare engines are efficiency. Less area shared with head means less heat loss. The biggest drawback is small valves.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 93siro Click here to enlarge
    Main benefit of undersquare engines are efficiency. Less area shared with head means less heat loss. The biggest drawback is small valves.
    Don't forget compact packaging. Well, for an I6.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wait, I thought I had read this is replacing all 43 models. Not adding an additional AMG model?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 93siro Click here to enlarge
    Was going to write this exactly.
    Positives of undersquare are torque and efficiency.
    Negatives are small valves and high piston speeds (low redline) but the low redline unusually doesn't matter as much because the small valves cant breathe up high anyway.
    Cadillac V2 CTS-V - 6MT - Lingenfelter upper pulley, Airaid CF Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, fluidyne H/X

Honda S2000 AP1 - White on red - 9000rpm vtec bruh

Porsche 991.1 PDK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BLKROKT Click here to enlarge

Such a shame.
    Great post.

I don't know why they are watering AMG down. Didn't they learn from what BMW M did?
    Three sets of brand new 991.2 3.0 headers for sale: Kline, Fabspeed, and Vektor Ceramic Coated

IPD plenum for Porsche 991.2 3.0 for sale: $650