Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

OE tuning C400 impressions

Had previously posted some 0-60 performance results with the Kleemann kbox 400cgi, which is overall a pretty strong piggy back tune. Decided to pull the trigger on a full ECU flash because the car felt a little "boosted" and didn't quite have pull on the low end with worse turbo lag than stock. Another reason I decided to get rid of the piggy back was because I felt the ECU and piggy back were "fighting" for power, and sometimes the car felt plain stupid in lower gears. The ECU flash got rid of this issue, and it only keeps getting better the more I drive the vehicle.

Overall, my experience with Dennis and the folks at OE tuning was wonderful. Shipped in my ECU and received it back in less than 48 hours. The ECU was programmed with their 93 octane map. Although the car was pretty fast before, it basically went into beast mode with the OE software.

First, lets go over driveability. The car is much, much smoother, and the driveability is vastly improved stoplight to stoplight over stock (forget about the piggy back which makes the car faster at the expense of smoothness). There is much less hesitation, the car does not jump between gears, the throttle response is improved, shifts feel strong and crisp, and the car keeps pulling and pulling to a slightly increased redline (which is a nice bonus, thanks OE).

Those impressions are just subjective, so here are some numbers.
    Stock the c400 does 0-60 around 4.6 (on a good day) and 1/4 mile in the low 13's. In my previous posts running the Kleemann kbox, and using the newest model Gtech pro SS (50Hz GPS) to get 0-60 times around 4 seconds flat (with 1 ft rollout standard so around 4.3 sec from an actual stop). I figured the motor was pretty much maxed out so I didn't expect much with the OE tune, but was surprised to see this improve even further by almost 1/4 second. I've attached some photos of the Gtech and a spread sheet of some typical runs below. In addition, it feels like the major improvement in power comes at higher speeds, but I haven't gone to the dragstrip to confirm. If you notice on the spreadsheet, with the Kbox the car hits 70 mph AFTER 330 ft, but with the OE tune, it hits 70 mph well BEFORE 330ft. Also the average 0-70 mph time is improved by over 1/2 second. One of the runs I actually hit 1/8 mile at 7.86 at 92 mph which is pretty bad as* for a non-AMG luxury sedan.

Using the OBD port, the car shows 15-16 psi boost and the torque converter is seeing around 580-600 Nm. The motor and tranny don't feel strained while driving as well. OE knows what they are doing.

Looking forward to going to the track for some 1/4 mile pulls this fall, and I fully expect this to hit low 12's (more than a full second better than stock, which is insane), as experienced by other members on mbworld. Kudos to OE tuning for turning this car's straight line performance numbers to those found in a brand new C63 S and M3, although I probably wouldn't race those cars around a track Click here to enlarge Maybe with stage 2/DPs and some new shocks...

If you decide to tune this motor, you wont be disappointed with OE and the price is reasonable. I also got a discount for being an MBworld member so don't forget to mention that.Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Went to a track about 70 min from home yesterday to do some 1/4 mile pulls. 71F with 70% humidity, sun was beating on the car for a couple hours before racing. Intake temps 120-130F. 2/3 tank of shell 93 octane. Only got two runs in 3 hours because they had bracket racing all morning. Best time was 12.56 sec at 109.67 (slip below). Interestingly, the first run at 12.68 and 110.26 mph had a higher trap speed but the launch sucked due to engine heat. I still think this will do 12.3-12.4 at night especially if I get more than 2 pulls (the ecu adapts after each race). As you can see from the gtech data from the previous post (measured at night) the 330 ft times are way better at cooler temps. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Pete400 Click here to enlarge
    Looking forward to going to the track for some 1/4 mile pulls this fall, and I fully expect this to hit low 12's (more than a full second better than stock, which is insane),
    I have no doubt it will do low 12's.

A proper flash tune is just better than a piggyback usually. There are exceptions but I'm not surprised at all you prefer the flash.
    Three sets of brand new 991.2 3.0 headers for sale: Kline, Fabspeed, and Vektor Ceramic Coated

IPD plenum for Porsche 991.2 3.0 for sale: $650