Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

A look a the Mercedes-AMG Project One Drivetrain - Five motors and an 11,000 rpm redline

What Mercedes-AMG is building here deserves tremendous praise. This will be the closest thing to a street legal Formula 1 car money can buy. While others manufacturers went with heavy hybrid systems Mercedes-AMG is focusing on low weight and race proven technology.

Click here to enlarge

It is a brilliant way to tie the F1 program into the street car portfolio while doing something nobody else has done. If the goal was to make a splash, consider that goal accomplished.

A 1.6 liter turbo V6 is the heart of the car. This engine has the same block and heads as the 2015 Formula 1 car. The Project One will have a variant of the PU106A hybrid powerplant.

There will be differences of course. The compression ratio will be lower as will the redline at 11,000 rpm. Different pistons and rods are utilized. An eight speed automatic transmission is paired to the motor due to the unique nature of the high revs and the desired weight target.

Output is expected to be 1000+ with four electric motors helping. One is used to keep the turbo spooled and it feeds excess exhaust energy to the battery pack. Response should be practically instant.

The second electric motor is a 161 horsepower unit called MGU-K for motor generation unit kinetic. This engine is connected directly to the crankshaft. Unlike the Formula 1 unit this is not expected to serve as a limited power boost but offer the power over a longer time period and range.

The other two power each front wheel. They should offer 120 horsepower each.

How is thst possible? The street car will have battery packs with four times the capacity of the F1 car. That also means much more weight.

Despite the added weight Mercedes-AMG claims the entire powertrain weighs 926 pounds and batteries are only responsible for 220 pounds of that weight. Impressive.

What about the wheels and tires? Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires in 285/35ZR19 up front and 335/30ZR20 in the rear are expected. The suspension will be height adjustable.

How much for all of this Formula 1 technology for the street? Roughly 2.5+ million dollars. Less than 300 will be built so sign up now. If you were really in the market for one Mercedes-AMG already contacted you.

This is by far the most impressive supercar design ever underatken. Bugatti can play with top speed titles all they want to but the Project One is a far more impressive engineering display.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Wow, I can't wait to see the final product and see how it stacks up against some super cars. Sure wish I had the money and connections to obtain one.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I think I just peed a little

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Next level sh*t. This will be a hypercar in the truest since of the word.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by pr3ci5n335i Click here to enlarge
    Wow, I can't wait to see the final product and see how it stacks up against some super cars. Sure wish I had the money and connections to obtain one.
    I doubt anything is going to touch this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I doubt anything is going to touch this.
    Against stock super cars, I agree, but there are plenty of UGR/ALPHA cars etc that will make for some interesting races.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    but there are plenty of UGR/ALPHA cars etc that will make for some interesting races.
    Only in a straight line.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Only in a straight line.
    Well of course. Nothing can touch an F1 style car around a track.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well of course. Nothing can touch an F1 style car around a track.
    Exactly. That's why it will be in a league of its own.

Wish I had the money...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    120 kw is 161 hp.
    As i remember it from Geneve VIP view it is 2x120 kw eletric drive at the front, so total 322 hp at the front, and total engine with the 120 kw electric at the crank and the electric 80 kw help at the turbo crank it is aprox 750 hp total engine.
    Last edited by SVP03; 06-02-2017 at 01:42 PM. Reason: More

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Against stock super cars, I agree, but there are plenty of UGR/ALPHA cars etc that will make for some interesting races.
    What is under 0-200 km/h in <6 s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SVP03 Click here to enlarge
    120 kw is 161 hp.
    As i remember it from Geneve VIP view it is 2x120 kw eletric drive at the front, so total 322 hp at the front, and total engine with the 120 kw electric at the crank and the electric 80 kw help at the turbo crank it is aprox 750 hp total engine.
    The total output of the car is supposedly over 1000 horsepower. The front-end alone (as you mentioned) will push 322 horses electrically, while the combustion engine itself is claimed to make around 750 horsepower (without electric assist? this part is unclear)...

Point here is Mercedes is saying "combined system power of more than 1,000 hp/735kW" - which is absolutely nuts considering the car will supposedly weigh in at around 2700 pounds.

It's like a formula 1 car with torque vectoring and all wheel drive. It will be absolutely insane!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    The total output of the car is supposedly over 1000 horsepower. The front-end alone (as you mentioned) will push 322 horses electrically, while the combustion engine itself is claimed to make around 750 horsepower (without electric assist? this part is unclear)...

Point here is Mercedes is saying "combined system power of more than 1,000 hp/735kW" - which is absolutely nuts considering the car will supposedly weigh in at around 2700 pounds.

It's like a formula 1 car with torque vectoring and all wheel drive. It will be absolutely insane!
    The engine total is aprox 750 hp wirh all elevtric help, so total around 1050-1080 hp. Th weight i cant tell you.