Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Audi RS3 2.5 TFSI vs. BMW F22 M240i B58 acceleration comparison 0-250 kph (155 mph)

The BMW F22 M240i 8-speed automatic in the video is the same car that we recently saw easily pull away from the BMW F87 M2 on the top end. It pulls very hard up top but does that mean it is faster than the Audi RS3 with its smaller 2.5 liter turbo I5 motor?

Click here to enlarge

Surprisingly, no. While the B58 is strong the 2.5 TFSI is just stronger. What makes this particularly impressive is that the RS3 basically weighs the same (slightly heavier) and that it sends power to all four wheels.

The RS3 is quicker to 60, 100, and 155. The dual clutch transmission helps no doubt but the B58 has more displacement and more torque. It would be great to see a dyno overlay between these two motors.

What do we learn? Essentially, the upcoming RS3 sedan which is even more potent than this RS3 hatchback will have no trouble dispatching the M2, M240i, CLA45 AMG, and whatever other German in its class you want t throw at it.

It may even punch above its weight class.

Three sets of brand new 991.2 3.0 headers for sale: Kline, Fabspeed, and Vektor Ceramic Coated

IPD plenum for Porsche 991.2 3.0 for sale: $650

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dammit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    VAG motors are killing it. Look what Iroz is getting out of the MQB 4 cyl in the Golf R.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BM3odymA...irozmotorsport

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm surprised it was that close. Time for Audi to up their game with a mid-cycle refresh and new tune.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    is this meant to be surprising?

RS3 is audis actual M2 competitor, M240 is more like an S3 competitor. More surprising the M2 is so much slower than the 240, doesn't feel it driving them on the road (albeit, don't get to 200+km/h ahaha). the video in that link looks like the m2 is in limp mode or something.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge

RS3 is audis actual M2 competitor, M240 is more like an S3 competitor.
    This... I facepalm every time I hear someone compare the S6 to the M5, S4 to M3, etc... Audi really needs to clarify their positioning.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
    This... I facepalm every time I hear someone compare the S6 to the M5, S4 to M3, etc... Audi really needs to clarify their positioning.
    Why? To align with BMW's numbering which they complicated for no good reason? The M3 used to compete with the RS4/RS5 now it's M4 just because.

It's obvious the S6 can't be compared to the M5 as the RS6 is for that.

I think Audi's lineup numbering made more sense than BMW's for quite a while. What needs to be clarified?
    Three sets of brand new 991.2 3.0 headers for sale: Kline, Fabspeed, and Vektor Ceramic Coated

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge

RS3 is audis actual M2 competitor, M240 is more like an S3 competitor. More surprising the M2 is so much slower than the 240, doesn't feel it driving them on the road (albeit, don't get to 200+km/h ahaha). the video in that link looks like the m2 is in limp mode or something.
    No it's meant to show how well the B58 overachieves.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm surprised it was that close. Time for Audi to up their game with a mid-cycle refresh and new tune.
    That's exactly what they are doing...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why? To align with BMW's numbering which they complicated for no good reason? The M3 used to compete with the RS4/RS5 now it's M4 just because.

It's obvious the S6 can't be compared to the M5 as the RS6 is for that.

I think Audi's lineup numbering made more sense than BMW's for quite a while. What needs to be clarified?

I couldn't care less what you call them. My point is that Audi's system or marketing isn't working because most people I speak to seem to think the S line, not the RS line, is comparable to the M lineup...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I couldn't care less what you call them. My point is that Audi's system or marketing isn't working because most people I speak to seem to think the S line, not the RS line, is comparable to the M lineup...
    I'm not sure what to say. It's clear to me. I think those people just don't know cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I'm not sure what to say. It's clear to me. I think those people just don't know cars.
    Yup, and that is 99% of the general public. Audi is doing themselves a great disservice.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yup, and that is 99% of the general public. Audi is doing themselves a great disservice.
    I think BMW has just marketed 'M' too much. Most people I talk to know of the RS7 and of the RS cars. Audi promotes them and advertises plenty from what I see.

I don't know, maybe they should change their approach. I feel it's fine but I guess others don't know.