Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Speedriven's monster SL600 has turbos sticking through its hood because RACECAR - Pushing the M275 V12 to 1100+ whp

How can you not love this? If you don't, you're on the wrong website anyway. Readers will remember this is the first 9 second SL and the first M275/M279 AMG V12 to break into the 9's in the 1/4 mile. Speedriven is now taking it further with bigger turbos and standalone engine management.

Click here to enlarge

Previously Speedriven showed us they were making 831 wheel horsepower from the M275 V12 and almost 1000 lb-ft of torque at the wheels. So what in the world is the car going to make now and how much will it improve on its 9.9 @ 141 pass?

The goal is an 8 second pass. The suspension and tire setup has been addressed. They are targeting well over 1100 whp as well as the turbochargers are individually capable of that power:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Speedriven
    For starters, an 8 second pass will require a lot more horsepower than the car had been making. Indeed, more power than any road-going M275 Mercedes V12 has ever meant. That means, first and foremost, bigger turbos.The Speedriven team plans to ditch the tiny, factory-spec. Mercedes-Benz turbos and replace them with a pair of massive ball-bearing turbochargers rated for up to 1100 WHP.

Each.

Those new turbos will be too big to fit in the stock location, so the guys at Speedriven will have to fabricate an all-new header/manifold that pushes the turbos to the front of the engine bay. Their size and location will help to give the SL’s engine bay a unique, signature look.

Making power, then, wouldn’t be a problem- but keeping the M275 V12 together might be. To make sure the turbos don’t turn the Mercedes engine into a basket of parts, Speedriven plans to machine the block to accept high-strength cylinder sleeves, then re-build the engine using beefy forged connecting rods and high-strength, higher-compression pistons capable of operating under the most extreme racing conditions.

Backing up that reinforced V12 will be a thoroughly re-engineered 722.6 5-speed automatic transmission with thicker clutches, beefed-up steels, a modified valve body, and an upgraded torque converter that will deliver the car’s monstrous power through a specially developed 9″ rear end. Building boost at the line will be critical to a good 60′ time, so the transmission and torque converter setup is very important. Equally important, though, is engine and traction control software that won’t cut power if the tires slip, and that will keep everything running smoothly whether we’re talking about zero to sixty or zero to more than two-hundred MPH.
    This certainly is going to be fun to watch come to fruition.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Three sets of brand new 991.2 3.0 headers for sale: Kline, Fabspeed, and Vektor Ceramic Coated

IPD plenum for Porsche 991.2 3.0 for sale: $650

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I don't always upgrade turbos in my car. But when I do I make sure the whole world can see them!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onisyndicate Click here to enlarge
    I don't always upgrade turbos in my car. But when I do I make sure the whole world can see them!
    These are dual GEN2 PT6870's from Precision unless something changed.
    Three sets of brand new 991.2 3.0 headers for sale: Kline, Fabspeed, and Vektor Ceramic Coated

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    These are dual GEN2 PT6870's from Precision unless something changed.
    Those are really huge to be honest for their 1100whp power goal. That's good for about 2kwhp+ at least with those.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Payam@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Those are really huge to be honest for their 1100whp power goal. That's good for about 2kwhp+ at least with those.
    The goal is higher than 1100.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Goal is much higher than 1100hp , we have spent nearly a year getting this thing done . I am excited and thankful for all the support we have received during the build .

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Reddragon Click here to enlarge
    Goal is much higher than 1100hp , we have spent nearly a year getting this thing done . I am excited and thankful for all the support we have received during the build .
    So it's your car I take it.

Not exactly 'street legal' eh?

Good solution though to fit those monster turbos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I hear jrcart is breaking out the clk to go 8s as well
    Things are getting interesting

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MR747 Click here to enlarge
    I hear jrcart is breaking out the clk to go 8s as well
    Things are getting interesting
    Hmmm, interesting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Sticky , we have spoken before I have another account PhilSL600 but it would not let me rest my passwords . Yes it is completely street legal . Why would it not be .

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What we will do on the dyno and what we tune it for are two very different things . We are hopeful to have it set up to run solid 8s . If we made the car lighter , did things like made it a hard top only taking out all the hydrolics for the roof and gutted it we could go faster . We are going to run 28x14.5 in tires , so we should be able to dead hook . But it is all just talk until we hit the track. I am excited but realize there will be a lot of testing , tuning and praying to get the final results. Remember we built this car for 1/2 mile racing 1st . The 1/4 and 1/8th will require a different set up completely . For the 1mile and 1/2 mile we have very specific goals . SET NEW WORLD RECORDS . period !!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hi Phil, did you already had the first "roll-out" on the street with the car ? What is approx. your time-schedule with the built?

Good Luck!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No I haven't 6 more weeks give or take . I am hoping to run low 8 .

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Reddragon Click here to enlarge
    Sticky , we have spoken before I have another account PhilSL600 but it would not let me rest my passwords . Yes it is completely street legal . Why would it not be .
    That's weird it isn't letting you reset. Maybe the reset e-mail is getting blocked?

Do you want me to reset it for you?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

any updates with this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Roadtalontsi Click here to enlarge
    any updates with this?
    They closed their doors.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    They closed their doors.
    And people think is is so easy. If they want to run 8’s I know a shop which will be in business to see the project through Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ecampbell Click here to enlarge
    And people think is is so easy. If they want to run 8’s I know a shop which will be in business to see the project through Click here to enlarge
    And there are people on the internet who talk smack on it.

The fact is most of these people have no idea what really goes on behind the scenes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Could not agree more.

fyi the port last night was a Warres 1977 and a Taylor 1994. Had a headache this morning for some reason.