Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Porsche Panamera Turbo vs. Audi S8 Plus drag race

These two are siblings in a sense as they are both part of the Volkswagen Auto Group but they are aimed at different audiences. The Panamera Turbo is slightly smaller and more of an M5 mid-size competitor whereas the S8 is a larger luxury sedan that goes up against the 7-Series and S-Class.

Click here to enlarge

While the S8 is larger the weight between the two is actually close with the Audi coming in roughly 40 pounds heavier. Both are all wheel drive but the Panamera feature a dual clutch transmission.

The issue for the Panamera Turbo is its V8 design is long in the tooth especially when compared to the Audi 4.0 TFSI V8. It's why Porsche developed a new 4.0 twin turbo V8 similar in design to the Audi 4.0 TFSI V8 motor which will replace the Panamera 4.8 liter mill.

The S8 Plus gets a boost to 605 horsepower as well so it has the Panamera Turbo easily outgunned here.

The Panamera Turbo hangs in surprisingly well but the S8 Plus takes it. It's definitely time for the Panamera to get a new engine and new chassis.

Three sets of brand new 991.2 3.0 headers for sale: Kline, Fabspeed, and Vektor Ceramic Coated

IPD plenum for Porsche 991.2 3.0 for sale: $650

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Without really thinking about it, I thought the Panamera was going to stomp the S8 but when you actually look at the figures the result isn't surprising. I'm surprised the Panamera weighs so much (or rather, the S8 weighs so little) given the sheer size difference. I love the S8, looks great and is damn quick in the straights.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nbrigdan Click here to enlarge
    Without really thinking about it, I thought the Panamera was going to stomp the S8 but when you actually look at the figures the result isn't surprising. I'm surprised the Panamera weighs so much (or rather, the S8 weighs so little) given the sheer size difference. I love the S8, looks great and is damn quick in the straights.
    Well, the S8 isn't light but neither is the Panamera.

The new Panamera will set things right.
    Three sets of brand new 991.2 3.0 headers for sale: Kline, Fabspeed, and Vektor Ceramic Coated

IPD plenum for Porsche 991.2 3.0 for sale: $650