Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

REVO tuned MKVII Volkswagen GTI vs. stock Mercedes CLA45 AMG from a roll

Very interesting runs here with interesting results. The CLA45 AMG is stock. Obviously in stock form with its 355 horsepower M133 2.0 liter four-cylinder motor it is much quicker than the MKVII Volkswagen GTI. 45 AMG output is roughly in the ~330 wheel horsepower range stock and the GTI is in the ~220 wheel horsepower range stock.

Click here to enlarge

That is a very big spread between the two 2.0 liter four-cylinder direct injected motors. However, that is what tuning is for and here is the mod list for the cars:

CLA45AMG - Stock, VDC off, Sports mode, 19" wheels
    MK7 GTI - Revo, Milltek Full Exhaust, Revo Intake, 19" wheels, wheel HP - 300

So the GTI is around the 300 wheel horsepower mark so it is still down on the CLA45 AMG slightly. However, the GTI has some advantage in a race like this namely that the Golf is roughly 500 pounds lighter and it sends its power to the front wheels rather than all four.

In a roll on race this pays major dividends as the GTI pulls away. The first race has the CLA45 AMG on the inside tract and it gets a bit of a jump. The GTI does run it down though. The second run really illustrates the difference with a more even straightaway and start. The GTI just pulls decisively away.

The CLA45 AMG of course can be tuned as well but the GTI will always have the advantage of being much lighter. It will be interesting to see how much weight the upcoming R400/R420 model adds with its beefed up components and all wheel drive.

Very impressive performance from the VW:

Three sets of brand new 991.2 3.0 headers for sale: Kline, Fabspeed, and Vektor Ceramic Coated

IPD plenum for Porsche 991.2 3.0 for sale: $650

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd rather have the CLA
    '08 535i - Sport - Comfort Seats - Sport Trans - Navi - JB4 G5 ISO - Vishnu Intake -

'07 Suzuki GSXR750 - Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust - Mirror Delete - Tinted Double Bubble Windscreen

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    But wouldn;t a tune on the CLA be a game changer? I would also rather have the Merc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Roguewrestler Click here to enlarge
    But wouldn;t a tune on the CLA be a game changer? I would also rather have the Merc.
    Watch: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...on-the-highway