Close

    • AMS claims 40+ hp gains with W212 E550 M278 Alpha Performance carbon fiber air intake system

      Take a look at this Alpha Performance Mercedes-Benz E550 Carbon Fiber Intake System. It sure is pretty, isn't it? For the suggested retail price of $3995.95 it better be. It also supposedly performs well with AMS claiming gains of over 40 horsepower.


      At $4k we expect performance and looks. AMS only backs up the looks with their photos but provides no proof of the performance gains. Sorry, that isn't good enough when asking four grand for an intake.

      This is what they claim:

      Exclusive Benefits


      • 40+ HP gains
      • 20% increase in intake tubing size
      • 25% increase in turbo inlet tubing
      • Wider and deeper air filter box with a 41% increase in cross sectional area
      • Elimination of the air flow obstruction created by the stock paper filter cartridge
      • A synthetic, multi-layer media filter with a MERV rating of 9 and 41% more surface area than stock

      Includes


      • Carbon fiber upper and lower air boxes
      • High-flow air filters
      • Carbon fiber cold air intake tubing
      • Carbon fiber air inlets
      • Molded silicon couplers
      • All necessary hardware for installation
      • Detailed installation guide

      Applications


      • W212 2012-2013 Mercedes-Benz E550 (RWD)
      • W212 2014+ E550 4Matic
      • 4.6L (often noted as 4.7L) M278 Engines


      Ok, that all sounds nice. However, a company like AMS should know better than not backing up horsepower claims for parts at this point. Where's the graph AMS?


















      This article was originally published in forum thread: AMS claims 40+ hp gains with W212 E550 M278 Alpha Performance carbon fiber air intake system started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 7 Comments
      1. M-Theory's Avatar
        M-Theory -
        Can't deny it makes a beautiful engine bay, but $4,000 for a intake (looking at it from a function stand point) is ridiculous. Putting that cash towards a turbo upgrade would be more useful.

        Also with this plateform (M157 focused for me, the photos look like one anyway), the tubes coming up toward the middle are off the turbos. Why not S shape them to connect directly to the ram air part with some sort of inline filter. That way the entire box set up could be deleted for a more simple and what I'd believe to be more efficient air flow. Once I get the time I'm trying a custom setup with some dyno comparisons, honestly wouldn't cost to mulch either. (S shape silicone hose, inline filter, couple clamps BAM INTAKE!)
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M-Theory Click here to enlarge
        Can't deny it makes a beautiful engine bay, but $4,000 for a intake (looking at it from a function stand point) is ridiculous. Putting that cash towards a turbo upgrade would be more useful.
        Honestly, same thoughts here.
      1. nbrigdan's Avatar
        nbrigdan -
        Just build it in plastic and for 1/3 the price Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        The day I pay $4k for an intake...
      1. Aces's Avatar
        Aces -
        Thats $100 a horsepower....
      1. BLKROKT's Avatar
        BLKROKT -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M-Theory Click here to enlarge
        Also with this plateform (M157 focused for me, the photos look like one anyway), the tubes coming up toward the middle are off the turbos. Why not S shape them to connect directly to the ram air part with some sort of inline filter. That way the entire box set up could be deleted for a more simple and what I'd believe to be more efficient air flow. Once I get the time I'm trying a custom setup with some dyno comparisons, honestly wouldn't cost to mulch either. (S shape silicone hose, inline filter, couple clamps BAM INTAKE!)
        I was thinking the same thing. MB goes through all the trouble of designing a cold air intake, only to send the air to the filter boxes which are all the way in the back of the engine bay right over the hot-ass engine, and then back up front and down to the turbos. And then what does AMS do in all of their genius re-engineering? The same exact thing, except a little bigger and made of carbon. Ooooooh. Totally retarded. Bet it makes no more than 5whp. Sticking $50 K&N cone filters on the ends of the turbos will make more power, guaranteed.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BLKROKT Click here to enlarge
        I was thinking the same thing. MB goes through all the trouble of designing a cold air intake, only to send the air to the filter boxes which are all the way in the back of the engine bay right over the hot-ass engine, and then back up front and down to the turbos. And then what does AMS do in all of their genius re-engineering? The same exact thing, except a little bigger and made of carbon. Ooooooh. Totally retarded. Bet it makes no more than 5whp. Sticking $50 K&N cone filters on the ends of the turbos will make more power, guaranteed.
        This post made me lol.