Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,157
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No

    Tesla Sues BBC Car Show Over Bad Review

    Click here to enlarge
    PALO ALTO, Calif. Electric car maker Tesla Motors says it has served the BBC's "Top Gear" show with a lawsuit for libel and malicious falsehood, The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday.
    The suit stems from a 2008 episode of the popular British car show in which the company's Tesla Roadster battery-powered sports car appeared to perform poorly in road tests.
    The car maker says the show, with hosts Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond, included track tests during which the car was said to have run out of charge after 55 miles when it was supposed to have a range of 211 miles. The overall theme was that electric cars do not work well in the real world.
    Ricardo Reyes, Tesla's vice president of communications, said in a statement that when the show first aired, the folks at the car company "were good sports. Tesla was a young start-up company, having delivered 140 cars to customers in the United States. Those early adopters knew what they were driving, and were not affected by the show's lies."
    But the show keeps airing in repeats, essentially haunting Tesla.
    "Today, we continue to field questions and explain the serious misconceptions created by the show. Many of us have heard: I know this car, the one that broke down on Top Gear. Despite the show's buffoonery, Clarkson's words are taken as truth, not only about the Roadster, but about EVs," Reyes said.
    The company said that if the episode had been broadcast in 2008, and not rebroadcast repeatedly it would not have sued. The BBC could not be reached immediately for comment.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,648
    Rep Points
    -167.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    they are so stupid , no one buys a car just because Jeremy said it's a good car !
    it's just an entertainment show , nothing more.
    and also they are stupid if they think it can travel 211 miles when comes to driving crazy in a track !
    no matter if they win or lose, they will be the absolute losers.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6,245
    Rep Points
    6,792.3
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    68


    Yes Reputation No
    As I recall it they had 2 tesla's on that show, and both broke down. One had a flat battery after 50 miles, the other one didn't make it out of the garage...
    The statements made then were quite correct for the cars Top Gear received then.
    It's a bit stupid to sue someone for a test done 3 years ago with products that were new then, when the product has been improved now.
    They instead should spend more on advertising and use the reruns of Top Gear as a publicity anchor to show they really have improved. If they really did improve that is...
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    81
    Rep Points
    71.7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Tesla = Poo

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,923
    Rep Points
    1,825.9
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Yes Reputation No
    lol talk about a company getting butthurt, cus their car sucks.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,894
    Rep Points
    1,422.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Yes Reputation No
    Maybe Telsa should spend more time trying to build cars for people that put deposits down. They use deposits for the upcoming Telsa sedan, to prop up the original Telsa roadster that was not profitable. Telsa uses their time suing people and getting sued themselves. If they were a vendor on a BMW forum, they would have been long gone by now.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    284
    Rep Points
    0.8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    they are so stupid , no one buys a car just because Jeremy said it's a good car !
    it's just an entertainment show , nothing more.
    and also they are stupid if they think it can travel 211 miles when comes to driving crazy in a track !
    no matter if they win or lose, they will be the absolute losers.
    I disagree> Most people who do watch the show believes what is said. I personally cant stand the show. I only watch the parts where more exclusive cars are thrashed around open air port just because its not everyday I can see it. Most people use Top Gear as a reference to what a car can do without realizing these drives are rehearsed and is complete bs.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,157
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Yes Reputation No
    Typical person that is not a car junky, believes the show and will bash your car if Jeremy said so.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,614
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Yes Reputation No
    Elon Husk is a complete tool, he has one thing in mind; money. He doesnt give a $#@! about top gear, hes looking to profit from this. What about all the other car companies that got hammered by jeremy, did their sales figures drop? No, Elon Husk is a just a $#@!ing whiney ass crybaby.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6,245
    Rep Points
    6,792.3
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    68


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lughed Click here to enlarge
    I disagree> Most people who do watch the show believes what is said. I personally cant stand the show. I only watch the parts where more exclusive cars are thrashed around open air port just because its not everyday I can see it. Most people use Top Gear as a reference to what a car can do without realizing these drives are rehearsed and is complete bs.
    Are you serious?
    This is THE most popular carSHOW worldwide! The only true reference (if any) is the laptime the Stig makes with a car. Next thing you say is you base your choice of car on the position it gets on the Cool Wall, which is just as ridiculous.
    People who really base their car purchase on the comments made in Top Gear are clueless and probably do not deserve better.
    I personally think Top Gear is funny as hell, and do not miss any single episode. But if I would value the opinion of Jeremy Clarckson I would now drive around in a Holden V8 (because he claimed it was the most fun he ever had on 4 wheels).
    Which is never gonna happen.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    293
    Rep Points
    226.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    If you watch that episode they never actually said it died, they said "although Tesla says it'll go 200 miles, we worked out that on our track it would run out after just 55 miles." The only potential legal problem for Top Gear is that they dramatized the comment by showing video of the crew pushing it around as if it had run out:


    (comment is @ 4:54)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,923
    Rep Points
    1,825.9
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Yes Reputation No
    I think Jeremy gave it just enough praise. He was just speaking the truth..........

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,614
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Yes Reputation No
    I just saw the video, he didnt really hate on it as much as it sounded.

    Stupid $#@!ing elon husk, what a $#@!ing turd; jeremy is a fair guy IMO

    Elon is pissed because this is the first time a group of people arent bowing down to suck his dick for his 'green sports car', theyre showing the world what this garbage on wheels is about.
    Last edited by DBFIU; 04-01-2011 at 10:48 PM.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Hanover, MD
    Posts
    1,247
    Rep Points
    697.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    I personally enjoy the converted to electric BMW (E36?) the raped the Tesla. Apparently the original footage was pulled from youtube, but there are cell phone shots

    Some type of Tesla promotional crew vs the bimmer


    Nice video of said BMW
    Click here to enlarge

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,923
    Rep Points
    1,825.9
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Yes Reputation No
    500WHP!! Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    419
    Rep Points
    601.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    I was going to sue Jeremy Clarkson because he used to say all BMW drivers are cocks.

    But now he has corrected the errors of his ways, and finally realized that it is in fact Audi drivers that are cocks, I will withdraw my case!

    ~

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,648
    Rep Points
    -167.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    I just saw the video, he didnt really hate on it as much as it sounded.

    Stupid $#@!ing elon husk, what a $#@!ing turd; jeremy is a fair guy IMO

    Elon is pissed because this is the first time a group of people arent bowing down to suck his dick for his 'green sports car', theyre showing the world what this garbage on wheels is about.
    well Jeremy isn't that fair , when it comes to British cars he really sounds like a douche !
    but yes that was a fair episode , those guys in Tesla should be glad that the car didn't end up with a piano on the roof.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    177
    Rep Points
    235.1
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
    I was going to sue Jeremy Clarkson because he used to say all BMW drivers are cocks.

    But now he has corrected the errors of his ways, and finally realized that it is in fact Audi drivers that are cocks, I will withdraw my case!
    The tude of the rich kids at my high school with their parent-bought bimmers, along with a certain sales manager i couldn't stand who was militant about the fact that BMW's were the ultimate driving machine back when i was still in my muscle-car phase turned me off on them for a long time.

    Then years later Lexus and Infiniti and Acura hit the scene, and they're all aiming at BMW as the one to beat, so i decided to go drive them all in one day, and the FACT was that the others were all boring (except the NSX which i loved) and the BMW - a used 1995 325i - not only put them all to shame, but was infact the tightest, sweetest car i ever drove, and muscle cars faded from memory. I came late to the party but now won't drive anything else, and treat anyone who does with condescension!

    The dickhead manager was right. So right i almost wanna look him up just to admit it. He treated me like a schmuck for not driving one and i now know i deserved it!

    28 <~~~~ humbled..

    PS re: Tesla, i like them for promoting green performance and the car seems to perform decently, but i'd rather have an electric M3 and am pretty much figuring either buying one if/whem BMW makes it or converting mine if/when the time comes.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,426
    Rep Points
    32,107.4
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    they are so stupid , no one buys a car just because Jeremy said it's a good car !
    it's just an entertainment show , nothing more.
    and also they are stupid if they think it can travel 211 miles when comes to driving crazy in a track !
    no matter if they win or lose, they will be the absolute losers.
    They are absolutely right to sue. It may just be entertainment but people accept it as fact. The show presented the car as if it ran out of juice which was a lie.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,426
    Rep Points
    32,107.4
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lughed Click here to enlarge
    I disagree> Most people who do watch the show believes what is said. I personally cant stand the show. I only watch the parts where more exclusive cars are thrashed around open air port just because its not everyday I can see it. Most people use Top Gear as a reference to what a car can do without realizing these drives are rehearsed and is complete bs.
    Click here to enlarge

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,426
    Rep Points
    32,107.4
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by spdu4ea Click here to enlarge
    The only potential legal problem for Top Gear is that they dramatized the comment by showing video of the crew pushing it around as if it had run out
    Exactly correct.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,648
    Rep Points
    -167.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    They are absolutely right to sue. It may just be entertainment but people accept it as fact. The show presented the car as if it ran out of juice which was a lie.
    well the people around me never consider TopGear a serious show , just laugh at their sense of humor and watch supercar scene.
    do you think people will buy Skoda Yeti just because Jeremy said it's faster than Ferrari around a track , or you can jump with it into a burning building and while you can enjoy your ice-cream and a helicopter can land on your roof .... ?
    Back on topic , I don't know about Tesla. i never tried one but if it has a 211 mile range with a normal driving mode , 50 miles range at track makes sense to me so why they are mad?
    Last edited by Sorena; 04-03-2011 at 02:14 PM.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,614
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    well the people around me never consider TopGear a serious show , just laugh at their sense of humor and watch supercar scene.
    do you think people will buy Skoda Yeti just because Jeremy said it's faster than Ferrari around a track , or you can jump with it into a burning building and while you can enjoy your ice-cream and a helicopter can land on your roof .... ?
    Back on topic , I don't know about Tesla. i never tried one but i'm sure if it has a 211 mile range with a normal driving mode , 50 miles range at track makes sense to me so why they are mad?
    Because it broke down.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,648
    Rep Points
    -167.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Because it broke down.
    can it move without breaking down?

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,426
    Rep Points
    32,107.4
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Because it broke down.
    They are upset over the way it was portrayed which was misleading.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •