Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

91 vs 93 octane...how much power on our engines?

How much more power is gained on 93 vs 91 octane?

say on a tune only car? or a stock car?

also considering throwing in some 100 octane and trying some 60-130 runs. Would be interesting to see what happens.
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Same question different forum
    Click here to enlarge
    Drives: Basically a pretty bad ass f250 lifted with 24" wheels! Dpf delete 4" exhaust h&s tuner and intake..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

ok...as there are different people on different forums. Except I started a thread here to get answers...when u ask a question like this in a thread about something else it usually get passed over. But thanks for the useless comment
    Current:
    14 Viper TA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dodger63 Click here to enlarge
    Same question different forum
    Is there something wrong with him asking people here?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge

also considering throwing in some 100 octane and trying some 60-130 runs. Would be interesting to see what happens.
    A tune only car can be optimized for 93 octane so there would be a slight benefit if tuning for that fuel. It wouldn't be anything major though.

On a stock car, I don't think there would be an appreciable difference but the ECU is likely to adjust timing a little bit.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

So can you compare this to 98 octane we have in Europe?
    How much is there to gain in comparence to your 91 octane in engine power?
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    So can you compare this to 98 octane we have in Europe?
    How much is there to gain in comparence to your 91 octane in engine power?
    Your octane ratings just use a different system. Your 98 is like our 93.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There will not be a difference if no tuning is involved, and there will be a slight difference if tuning is involved, but in my opinion not enough to make it worth while.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

it really depends on your engine , firing timing , compression ratio ...
    about your car, difference isn't that big so you can't see any difference on dyno (like 2 hp) but you can feel the engine is different with higher octane.
    if it's an old car with lower compression ratio , high octane probably hurt the engine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Ok guys obviously either you took it the wrong way or you are on edge.. Wow take it easy. This almost is progressing into mbworld
    Click here to enlarge
    Drives: Basically a pretty bad ass f250 lifted with 24" wheels! Dpf delete 4" exhaust h&s tuner and intake..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Ok guys obviously either you took it the wrong way or you are on edge.. Wow take it easy. This almost is progressing into mbworld
    It came off like you were dismissing him for posting the same thing in more than one place. It isn't a big deal and come on, that latter part is a hell of a stretch.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

It can not sound like anything when it's not said. Yea I guess the latter part is a streatch but we should all try to not always think everyone is after each other and read things differently. All I said was same question different forum to me what that means is same question different answers we only get opinions!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Apparently we did, came off like a smart alec comment. Like I cant ask a question here and there. But from what ive seen u dont seem that way... Either way all good.

Thanks for the input guys
    Current:
    14 Viper TA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

I'm far from an ass if it came off that way I apologize but there was no I'll intentions,, just here to learn to go faster..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge

The ECU is able to adapt for a couple of points of higher (or lower) octane. I believe it can advance timing enough for 95 octane or so (this is just approximate figure given to us from multiple tuners over the years).

On a stock car, using 93 octane is not much different than using 91 octane. There is a slight difference in performance but not much. However, using 100 octane (unleaded of course) would give you a noticeable difference over 91 octane, but it is still not a BIG difference.

On a car that is tuned for 91 or 93 octane, using 100 octane gas yields the same amount of difference that you would see by using 100 octane on a stock car as the ECU would adapt slightly.

On a car that is tuned for 100+ octane level, using 100 octane gas would give you a significant increase in power. On an E55, I've seen a gain of +38 rwhp and on a C63, I've seen +27 whp.
    2007 E63 P30
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

my friend who just got a 5.0 stang got tuned at steeda. the car comes stock with a 91 octane tune. steeda's 93 octane tune was a 'big improvement' he said, that it was 'more power all over the band' good stuff. then he got a ram air intake, and tuned for it, and then said that it felt like the same increase in power, more or less, but opened up the top end, he felt like it breathed better (common comment). now this is one specific car, changing octane on a FI car is another ball game imho, more octane = more resistance to knock.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Exeenom Click here to enlarge
    The ECU is able to adapt for a couple of points of higher (or lower) octane. I believe it can advance timing enough for 95 octane or so (this is just approximate figure given to us from multiple tuners over the years).

On a stock car, using 93 octane is not much different than using 91 octane. There is a slight difference in performance but not much. However, using 100 octane (unleaded of course) would give you a noticeable difference over 91 octane, but it is still not a BIG difference.

On a car that is tuned for 91 or 93 octane, using 100 octane gas yields the same amount of difference that you would see by using 100 octane on a stock car as the ECU would adapt slightly.

On a car that is tuned for 100+ octane level, using 100 octane gas would give you a significant increase in power. On an E55, I've seen a gain of +38 rwhp and on a C63, I've seen +27 whp.
    That's awesome that the gains can be so large.

Does the C63 that gained 27whp have any exhaust mods?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We can only get 91 octane here in NB Can. I looked at raising octane by adding octane boost (very expensive), race gas (less expensive and hard to locate locally) or toluene (expensive). I gave up because the cost/value relationship seemed too extreme on the cost side for questionable benefits on the value side. I guess if you can't get the big companies to mix it it is not worth it especially for a daily driver. Occasionally at the track is a different matter because you are WOT all the time and max performance is what you are after so it makes it more worthwhile.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mort Click here to enlarge
    We can only get 91 octane here in NB Can. I looked at raising octane by adding octane boost (very expensive), race gas (less expensive and hard to locate locally) or toluene (expensive). I gave up because the cost/value relationship seemed too extreme on the cost side for questionable benefits on the value side. I guess if you can't get the big companies to mix it it is not worth it especially for a daily driver. Occasionally at the track is a different matter because you are WOT all the time and max performance is what you are after so it makes it more worthwhile.
    Why didn't you consider meth?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Greetings Gentleman,

honestly on the M156 motors, 91 octane and 93 octane in stock form will not make much of a power difference, the vehicle may run slightly better as the ME will not have to pull back but the numbers themselves would maybe vary 1-3hp which could be contributed to many things such as a weather. however the difference in 2 points of octane will become more and more important the further you go in modifications.... we have currently built a P800 Switzer 996tt, and the difference in octane from the east (93octane) and the west (91 octane) equals a difference in 2PSI of boost... on the dyno on this particular vehicle equals 50whp.... but we are talking about pushing the envelop safely, in a stock or tuned only M156 ECU the differences in my opinion, is slight. Stock being 1-5hp, tuned being 3-10hp, as you can see the more modifications the larger the difference in power becomes.

-James

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by WIEisME Click here to enlarge
    Greetings Gentleman,

honestly on the M156 motors, 91 octane and 93 octane in stock form will not make much of a power difference, the vehicle may run slightly better as the ME will not have to pull back but the numbers themselves would maybe vary 1-3hp which could be contributed to many things such as a weather. however the difference in 2 points of octane will become more and more important the further you go in modifications.... we have currently built a P800 Switzer 996tt, and the difference in octane from the east (93octane) and the west (91 octane) equals a difference in 2PSI of boost... on the dyno on this particular vehicle equals 50whp.... but we are talking about pushing the envelop safely, in a stock or tuned only M156 ECU the differences in my opinion, is slight. Stock being 1-5hp, tuned being 3-10hp, as you can see the more modifications the larger the difference in power becomes.

-James
    What about using unleaded race gas in a tuned C63 with 91 oct tune?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JonsC63AMG Click here to enlarge
    What about using unleaded race gas in a tuned C63 with 91 oct tune?
    Timing should still advance slightly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    If your ECU is written for 100 octane you will not receive the full potential of the 100 octane fuel. the car will adapt up to roughly 95 octane on its own providing you with a nice increase of power over the 91 octane ~10-20hp, but will not give you full 25-35hp that you could receive.

hope that helps.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

WIEisME what shop do u work from? Just curious
    Current:
    14 Viper TA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast