Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

A butchered/fried E55 AMG ECU and possibly blown motor, who did it?

A guy in Palatine, IL bought an E55 that had been tuned. Car was suffering from CEL's and misfires. It was brought to a dealer and then to Speeddriven.

Car is stock except for the ECU, but may be in need of a new motor due to damage from the tune. Now, he question is, who did this?

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    wayne?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oldgixxer Click here to enlarge
    wayne?
    That is what I thought and Eurocharged was suggested to me as well. I don't know, would like to know though as that looks pretty bad.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Who ever did it is just over generous with the soldering flux. You can clean that off and it wont look so bad.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    local barbershop?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That car is extremely easy to flash with $100 tools. Why the hell would you open the board up?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BrenM3 Click here to enlarge
    That car is extremely easy to flash with $100 tools. Why the hell would you open the board up?
    you don't have the right to speak , i asked you more pics of your cars , where are they ? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    you don't have the right to speak , i asked you more pics of your cars , where are they ? Click here to enlarge
    Car is not done yet, just got home for tuning / training on the west coast.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BrenM3 Click here to enlarge
    I don't know, what would be the reason to do it like that?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I don't know, what would be the reason to do it like that?
    Not having quality files or the tools to read/write the controller. Obviously whoever tuned this didn't have a byteshooter. I can think of 2 tuners that don't have them and that's as far as I'm going with this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
    Not having quality files or the tools to read/write the controller. Obviously whoever tuned this didn't have a byteshooter. I can think of 2 tuners that don't have them and that's as far as I'm going with this.
    I understand although that does severely narrow down the list.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    That is what I thought and Eurocharged was suggested to me as well. I don't know, would like to know though as that looks pretty bad.
    nada, we have never EVER soldered to the board before. We started out and have always used Dimsport equipment. But, lets just say I have seen that before and know the handywork all too well. The same company was also known to put epoxy over the chip so it could not be removed....... will send ya a pm sticky

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by loungn14 Click here to enlarge
    nada, we have never EVER soldered to the board before. We started out and have always used Dimsport equipment. But, lets just say I have seen that before and know the handywork all too well. The same company was also known to put epoxy over the chip so it could not be removed....... will send ya a pm sticky
    Thank you for the PM and clearing that up!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    .....so.....the answer is?
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    +1

This is the type of transparency that forum members should be afforded so that BenzBoost doesn't experience its very own 'Evosport-jrcart' debacle.

If it is absolutely known to loungn14 (or any other B'Boost members) that a tuner does this type of shoddy work, why are they not being exposed?

I completely understand if you only have an inkling that another tuner is involved. In that case: fine - don't name them if you aren't sure. If you ARE sure, don't remain mute because you belong to the closely-knit 'brotherhood of tuners' or some other nonsensical concept. The onus should be on this fabulous 'tuner' to explain what in the hell they are doing.

Lest I repeat myself - if you have proof that another tuner is responsible for hack-solder jobs on ECUs as well as 'epoxying' the ECU to prevent others from accessing it, spill the beans!

I'm already a member of a car enthusiast forum [cough, MBW, cough] that covers up the wrongdoings of vendors. I'd rather NOT be a member on another forum with the same fundamental faults.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eirebenz Click here to enlarge
    +1

This is the type of transparency that forum members should be afforded so that BenzBoost doesn't experience its very own 'Evosport-jrcart' debacle.

If it is absolutely known to loungn14 (or any other B'Boost members) that a tuner does this type of shoddy work, why are they not being exposed?

I completely understand if you only have an inkling that another tuner is involved. In that case: fine - don't name them if you aren't sure. If you ARE sure, don't remain mute because you belong to the closely-knit 'brotherhood of tuners' or some other nonsensical concept. The onus should be on this fabulous 'tuner' to explain what in the hell they are doing.

Lest I repeat myself - if you have proof that another tuner is responsible for hack-solder jobs on ECUs as well as 'epoxying' the ECU to prevent others from accessing it, spill the beans!

I'm already a member of a car enthusiast forum [cough, MBW, cough] that covers up the wrongdoings of vendors. I'd rather NOT be a member on another forum with the same fundamental faults.
    ^^This^^

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

The reason being that loung14 is a tuner and pm'd me to point me in the right direction but does not have 100% "proof" of it being that tuner. So, it is a very god educated guess but some may accuse him of being biased and also without complete evidence it would also be irresponsible to say, hey, "it is so and so" without having the owner of that chip/car to confirm.

We won't stop you from talking about it or coming to your own conclusion, the thread was already pointing in the right direction just read it very carefully.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think you have spent enough time here to see we certainly have no problem exposing vendors. We just can't do it without being certain as then that will affect our credibility.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    +1

Exactly
    I hate when poor service and shady business practices are swept under the rug because the vendor in question is a sponsor of the given forum. Enthusiasts first vendors second. I always despise when people are allowed to throw power claims around without a shred of proof if you say your car make X amount of power and you post it on a forum you should be required to post a dyno sheet or some kind of measurable data as well. Lets do better than the "other place" we need to know who not to deal with as a community.

My .02
    Click here to enlarge
    2008 Lexus LS600hl
    2006 CLS55 AMG.
    508whp/564tq.
    171mph at The Texas mile 2011.
    Mods Everything.
    Going fast with class!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ....I completely understand if you only have an inkling that another tuner is involved. In that case: fine - don't name them if you aren't sure....
    The reason being that loung14 is a tuner and pm'd me to point me in the right direction but does not have 100% "proof" of it being that tuner. So, it is a very god educated guess but some may accuse him of being biased and also without complete evidence it would also be irresponsible to say, hey, "it is so and so" without having the owner of that chip/car to confirm....
    ....we certainly have no problem exposing vendors. We just can't do it without being certain as then that will affect our credibility.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Full Throttle Click here to enlarge
    ....I hate when poor service and shady business practices are swept under the rug because the vendor in question is a sponsor of the given forum. Enthusiasts first vendors second....
    As I alluded to in my original post, and Sticky quite rightly reiterated the same, it is completely understandable to hold off on 'naming and shaming' until proof is obtained. There a variety of reasons for doing so, the least of which is protection from legal action and damaging your reputation.

Of course, you could confront the person / tuner who did this damage with incontrovertible proof, and said tuner would still deny having done so - we've all seen cases of this! It should be common knowledge that some tuners / vendors have the balls to say anything to your face in order to make a sale.

But don't take it personally: it's not pathologic - it's just business.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As I alluded to in my original post, and Sticky quite rightly reiterated the same, it is completely understandable to hold off on 'naming and shaming' until proof is obtained. There a variety of reasons for doing so, the least of which is protection from legal action and damaging your reputation.

Of course, you could confront the person / tuner who did this damage with incontrovertible proof, and said tuner would still deny having done so - we've all seen cases of this! It should be common knowledge that some tuners / vendors have the balls to say anything to your face in order to make a sale.

But don't take it personally: it's not pathologic - it's just business.
    This specific situation is not the basis of my argument and i have no problem with waiting the appropriate time period to post your experience with a given vendor. I have had vendors lie to me *directly* to keep me from buying products from competing vendors. My idea is post the truth and let people decide for themselves. If i listened to the drivel from competing vendors and their minions my car would be nowhere near where it is now.
    Click here to enlarge
    2008 Lexus LS600hl
    2006 CLS55 AMG.
    508whp/564tq.
    171mph at The Texas mile 2011.
    Mods Everything.
    Going fast with class!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Exactly
    I hate when poor service and shady business practices are swept under the rug because the vendor in question is a sponsor of the given forum. Enthusiasts first vendors second. I always despise when people are allowed to throw power claims around without a shred of proof if you say your car make X amount of power and you post it on a forum you should be required to post a dyno sheet or some kind of measurable data as well. Lets do better than the "other place" we need to know who not to deal with as a community.

My .02
    I can tell you this much, the vendor in question who we can not 100% prove is responsible but believe to be responsible most certainly is not a vendor on this forum.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My idea is post the truth and let people decide for themselves.
    This is one of my fundamental principles in relation to this forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast