Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

5 second Turbo V8 Pro Mod

It is Andy Jensen's car. Incredible engineering work and acceleration.

He is in the 5's now, and the first single turbo in his class of racing to do so.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Here are the engine rules that Andy has to go by to compete in Pro Modified, courtesy of Wikipedia: the engine can either have up to 527 cubic inches and be supercharged and methanol fueled, or it can have a larger 820 cubic inch engine that utilizes nitrous oxide and gasoline. For the first time, turbocharged engines were permitted for the 2008 IHRA season. These engines put out an extremely large amount of horsepower, some at approximately 2500-3500 H.P. The engines propel the cars down the track at speeds of over 200 mph. There are weight limits, according to the type of engine used, 2375 lb. for nitrous powered cars, and 2700 lb. for supercharged (or turbo) cars.

News regarding his record breaking run: (sourced from news.southjerseydirtracing.com)

Andy Jensen is well known as one of the area’s leading race and street car engine builders. His Jensen Engine Tech shop located in Nescopeck has turned out countless winning engines for drags, sprints, late models, modifieds and more. He also builds the engines that go into all the stock cars at the Stock Car Racing Experience at Pocono Raceway.

When it comes to making horsepower, Jensen stands out as a master craftsman in building engines that are strong, reliable and proven.

He is also an accomplished independent Pro Mod drag racer. His expertise as a builder has enabled him to become a regular winner on both the 1/8 and 1/4 mile strips all over the East Coast and beyond.

Now his exploits have gone global as he recently set a world record for a turbo-charged small block Pro Mod drag car.

Wednesday night, July 8 at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in Englishtown, NJ, during the 39th Annual P.C. Richard & Son Summer Motorsports Spectacular presented by Toyota, Jensen sped down the quarter mile strip with his 2500 horsepower 1968 Chevy Camaro in a blistering 5.94-seconds at 238 mph.

“There’s never been a turbo charged Pro Mod go that fast and also the first small block to ever make a 5-second pass so it was two records in one day that we set,” said 44-year old Jensen.

“We had the fastest turbo charged car back in May of ’07 and there were some guys who surpassed that. We did set the 1/8th mile record with the car last year and also set the ADRL Pro Nitrous record and that we still hold.”

The NHRA, IHRA and ADRL all keep track of the records.

“The conditions have to be right. We knew at Englishtown we had a shot at it because the conditions were not terrific but the best they had been in a while with the car. We made some tire and weight changes and it really responded to that and the car was viciously fast and I feel certain we’re going to reset it again in the next month or so.”

At the present time Jensen only competes at select races with the Pro Outlaw Door Slammers which features a wide variety of body styles and engine configurations making for some of the quickest and fastest ‘Door Slammers’ in the country. Some choose Nitrous Oxide while others go with a Supercharged or Turbo configuration.

Jensen raced with the Northeast Pro Mod Outlaws from 2003-07 and won four championships.

He also runs with the National Guard American Drag Racing League which is the nation’s premier sanctioning body for the sport of eighth-mile drag racing.

Recently the IHRA made and amendment to allow a car like Jensen’s to compete with them.

(I really like this) “We’re planning to run some IHRA and NHRA events near the end of the year. A lot of the reason we like the outlaw stuff is because you can be creative and outsmart a guy with a fat wallet and you’re not restricted by a bunch of rules. I can outsmart the guys but I can’t out dollar them,” said Jensen.

Locally, Numidia and Beaver Springs are the two closest drag strips and although Jensen has been supportive of them, his car is a bit too much to race them.

“I like to run Numidia and Beaver Springs. Both have been very good to me. It’s just difficult to get the car down those types of tracks because you need to be on a track that has a lot of adhesion for the entire length of the track,” explained Jensen.

“Most of those tracks have pretty good adhesion for about 150 feet and then there done. My car makes about 2500 horsepower and actually the further it goes down the race track the more power it makes. So it’s just difficult to run the car at those types of tracks.”

His winning ways have also been an excellent form of marketing for his firm.

“It’s a good advertising tool for the business. We’re very busy here at the shop and in an economy that seems to be soft everywhere around me, we’re very solid here,” he said.

Jensen credits much of his success to having great crew members by his side at every race. He has been fortunate to find willing hands to work tirelessly on his car to enable those record setting passes. He has had many crew members in the past that he is very grateful for, and a terrific crew currently.

The Jensen name has been part of the region’s racing headlines for many years. His older brother, Richie, is a multiple Selinsgrove Speedway and Clinton County Raceway late model champion and holds the record for most late model wins at the paved Sundance Vacations Speedway (Evergreen).
    Last edited by fundahl; 01-17-2011 at 11:28 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i want a ride in one of these
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    umm... what just happend? lol
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Crazy build. No air filters, no intercooler, just a fat ass pipe going in the Throttle Body and kickin' ass Click here to enlarge
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That is some quality engineering!

Running 5's.. I can't even comprehend what that feels like.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Updated with Engine Rules for Pro Modified and some history on his record-breaking run.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    cool find slick, i like the blow-through setup. do they use that because of regulations? or because he already makes enough power and cooling the charge would be an unfair advantage? or maybe because it would be too much piping, fitment constraints?
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    cool find slick, i like the blow-through setup. do they use that because of regulations? or because he already makes enough power and cooling the charge would be an unfair advantage? or maybe because it would be too much piping, fitment constraints?
    It is probably methanol fueled and not in need of additional after-cooling. It would likely just complicate things and potentially lose power and increase spool time through frictional losses and pressure drop.

I think it's really awesome how he set records with his own build and keeping things simple.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That turbo eats small children.

Edit: Intercoolers are overrated IMO and I'm being serious.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge