Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 130
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    612
    Rep Points
    420.1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

    Supercharged M156 by Weistec

    Teaser video on Youtube... never heard of these guys myself, but the kit looks to be well thought out (from what you can tell in the vid).



    Be interesting to learn more, as more info is made available.

    I've got to imagine that whomever cracks the "successful upgrades for the 7-spd tranny" riddle, will be sitting on a goldmine.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    75
    Rep Points
    45.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Wasn't everyone saying this was "impossible" 2 weeks ago?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Encino,CA
    Posts
    8,097
    Rep Points
    5,888.5
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    59


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BASELINE Click here to enlarge
    Wasn't everyone saying this was "impossible" 2 weeks ago?
    i was just thinking the same thing haha. looks interesting and very well put together. i love the twin screews Click here to enlarge perfect fit!
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

    It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    471
    Rep Points
    488.9
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Yes Reputation No
    Blownnnnnnn c63, whoa how did the impossible work?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,186
    Rep Points
    2,134.5
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22


    Yes Reputation No
    That will be sick, and insanely powerful it actually is released and all works. Although wont the tranny brake pretty quickly?
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    CA and AZ
    Posts
    237
    Rep Points
    148.7
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BASELINE Click here to enlarge
    Wasn't everyone saying this was "impossible" 2 weeks ago?
    I believe what was said was that no one has been able to figure out the software it would take to make it work. That even Brabus and their deep pockets had scratched the project! Hopefully numbers will come soon from weistec.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    75
    Rep Points
    45.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    lmao...

    I know, Mike....thats why I put the impossible in "..." ;-) Would be awesome if they got this to work.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,186
    Rep Points
    2,134.5
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22


    Yes Reputation No
    also looks pretty stock which is cool. If the blower was the same color as the rest it would look stock or clean enough to be
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    1,454
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    A 30 second vid and everyone thinks the impossible is possible. LOL. Let's go over a couple reasons why this blower will never work or sell.

    Cost: If you think this blower is coming in under the $15K mark lol, well, I don't know what to tell you. That nixes 99% of the potential market, as customers already complain about the cost of significantly less expensive yet highly effective parts. We'll see how many "I'm in"s we'll get once the price is announced.

    Overall Output: This will be capped by the trans and fuel management, even if they are using a piggyback unless they replaced the entire fuel system ($$$) the max you're going to see this combo put out is ~500rwhp. Which is what we get from headers, mids, tuning, and airboxes N/A. If you spent the $ to replace the fuel system you still have cast pistons and 11.3:1 static CR with PFI to deal with. Meaning you are not only electronically and driveline limited (trans) you are also mechanically limited by the shortblock.

    Blower Size: I can see that they were targeting stock or near stock cars with this kit as the inlet issue and wrong size supercharger were used for this application. If they had higher outputs in mind (aka going in and rebuilding the shortblock) they would've used a 2.8L or larger blower.

    Trans: Unless they cracked the Holy Grail and I don't see that being the case, this car will $#@! a trans in the first week. It should be making an easy 525-550rwtq with that 500rwhp, BTDT with that kind of torque and the results weren't pretty. Now add to the load that PD blowers make peak boost just off idle (especially in a low boost app like this) and you have a serious recipie for disaster.

    Converter: LOL, just LOL for now.

    Inlets: The blower in question uses the stock inlet tubes which are restrictive on a N/A M156, PD blowers are especially effected

    I know there are quite a few M156 owners that want to believe this is a cost effective forced induction solution, however if you know the facts now you can already tell how limited (power production wise) and expensive this kit will be. Aside from that you can make the same power N/A with much greater reliability, no heatsoak, etc.

    In summation I feel this will be the most overanticipated and underdelivering mod yet for the M156, cost per $, and that is if they can not only get it to run, but to do so without grenading the driveline first. Like it or not nothing about the M156 (save cylinder count) is on par with the S65 in terms of being ready for forced induction.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    921
    Rep Points
    591.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Well, at least did got the hardware done and its running. Thats impressive, from a car enthusiast point of view, no matter what. Did anyone ever get this done to this extent? I never saw a Brabus S/C C63, running, even as development.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,317
    Rep Points
    32,735.4
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GT3 Click here to enlarge
    Well, at least did got the hardware done and its running. Thats impressive, from a car enthusiast point of view, no matter what. Did anyone ever get this done to this extent? I never saw a Brabus S/C C63, running, even as development.
    Agreed, I am very impressed they have the hardware running. We don't have details but they have demonstrated a nice preliminary setup. You have to start somewhere, right?
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,317
    Rep Points
    32,735.4
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
    Trans: Unless they cracked the Holy Grail and I don't see that being the case, this car will $#@! a trans in the first week. It should be making an easy 525-550rwtq with that 500rwhp, BTDT with that kind of torque and the results weren't pretty. Now add to the load that PD blowers make peak boost just off idle (especially in a low boost app like this) and you have a serious recipie for disaster.
    Why is the trans such a problem? No one has this cracked in Europe?

    Assuming the trans does get cracked and it will be able to be upgraded, then on paper this would seem to be a big development and possible, correct?
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,317
    Rep Points
    32,735.4
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@MHP Click here to enlarge
    I believe what was said was that no one has been able to figure out the software it would take to make it work. That even Brabus and their deep pockets had scratched the project! Hopefully numbers will come soon from weistec.
    Same, we need some more details.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    921
    Rep Points
    591.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Sticky, get Weistec on here, so they can post details and info...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,317
    Rep Points
    32,735.4
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GT3 Click here to enlarge
    Sticky, get Weistec on here, so they can post details and info...
    Will do, I just saw this and I am just getting over my Christmas hangover.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    1,454
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GT3 Click here to enlarge
    Well, at least did got the hardware done and its running. Thats impressive, from a car enthusiast point of view, no matter what. Did anyone ever get this done to this extent? I never saw a Brabus S/C C63, running, even as development.
    Yes. Actually the Brabus 63 TT ML63s did run. Again though they spent millions in development, have engineers of the highest caliber, and even had help from Bosch with the ECUs. How long it took them to drop a trans I have no idea.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    1,454
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why is the trans such a problem? No one has this cracked in Europe?

    Assuming the trans does get cracked and it will be able to be upgraded, then on paper this would seem to be a big development and possible, correct?
    AFAIK, there are Four 722.9 TCU tools, 3 in Europe, 1 in NJ, all 4 belong to MB/AMG and no one in the aftermarket has access to them.

    On paper this project is still a disaster because zero driveline solutions have been presented. They figured out the easy part (getting it to run/idle) as others have in the past (Brabus), now getting it to work along with the rest of the driveline (shorterm or longterm) is a different story altogether.

    Fact is we can offer upgraded engine internals now. We can also offer upgraded trans internals now however they are useless unless the software can be changed to accomodate them and the application at hand. Aside from that how many people will spend $40K upgrading the engine/trans internals/fuel system only to find out they have a tiny 2.3L blower sitting on top of the engine that then becomes the limiting factor.

    Until I see hard data telling me otherwise (and that would be a first in this instance) there are just too many problems and stipulations on the table for this to make any sense. Best case scenario this is a quiet 480-500rw solution.
    Last edited by MHP LLC; 12-26-2010 at 08:00 PM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,317
    Rep Points
    32,735.4
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
    AFAIK, there are Four 722.9 TCU tools, 3 in Europe, 1 in NJ, all 4 belong to MB/AMG and no one in the aftermarket has access to them.
    This can not be duplicated or are they guarded like fort knox? Even Brabus can't get a hold of one of these? Why would MB want to hold on to this piece yet the ECU is cracked?

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
    On paper this project is still a disaster because zero driveline solutions have been presented. They figured out the easy part (getting it to run/idle) as others have in the past (Brabus), now getting it to work along with the rest of the driveline (shorterm or longterm) is a different story altogether.
    This is very true, we need to see the rest but it is a step. A small one from your point of view I can understand but it is a step. My question was if the driveline issues are addressed (I understand how unlikely this is) then would this be a viable option on the M156?
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    1,454
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This can not be duplicated or are they guarded like fort knox? Even Brabus can't get a hold of one of these? Why would MB want to hold on to this piece yet the ECU is cracked?
    Like Fort Knox.

    The OEM TCU files keep the trans from ingesting itself. It's MBs way of saying have fun, just not too much fun because the hardware we gave you for the second half of the driveline isn't up to par with the engine.


    This is very true, we need to see the rest but it is a step. A small one from your point of view I can understand but it is a step. My question was if the driveline issues are addressed (I understand how unlikely this is) then would this be a viable option on the M156?
    It's only small to me because others have been this far (and further). Getting past all the potential downfalls and things that will need to be overcome which is very hard to look past, I see this being the perfect mod for someone with cash that wants a quiet 500rwhp M156. Getting more out of the base kit will require a rather large investment of cash I don't see many in this market willing to make. Otherwise we can net the same power N/A with far greater reliability and at about half or less of the guesstimated price.

    This company is located in Irvine, CA. Has no one in CA heard of them prior?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    1,454
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    I also think timing wise (along with price, cost effectiveness, etc) it's the wrong time for a base blower kit for a M156. In a few months 4.6 and 5.5L TT M157s will be everywhere with upgraded trans, fuel system, ECU, etc from the factory. We can already say with certainty the M157 will be able to deliver more HP/TQ than this blower on a M156 ever could.

    For sake of comparison for the Bimmer guys, this would be like slapping an S-Trim on a S65, just not doing it justice. However in order to do it right everything has to be redone.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,317
    Rep Points
    32,735.4
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
    Like Fort Knox.

    The OEM TCU files keep the trans from ingesting itself. It's MBs way of saying have fun, just not too much fun because the hardware we gave you for the second half of the driveline isn't up to par with the engine.
    I can understand MB's perspective as they don't want the problem with warranty claims and we all know the 7 speed is weaker than that classic 5-speed. Maybe this will come with time?

    I just find it a bit ridiculous that I can get my DCT built, which is far more complex, and the 7-speed auto is giving MB guys problems. I realize it isn't a hardware issue but a software one but still. Why can't MB let guys void their warranty and get this cracked? This is the type of thing that holds the enthusiasts back.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
    It's only small to me because others have been this far (and further). Getting past all the potential downfalls and things that will need to be overcome which is very hard to look past, I see this being the perfect mod for someone with cash that wants a quiet 500rwhp M156. Getting more out of the base kit will require a rather large investment of cash I don't see many in this market willing to make. Otherwise we can net the same power N/A with far greater reliability and at about half or less of the guesstimated price.
    Is it a torque limit that is the issue? If so, how is it not an issue for you when spraying nitrous on top of the bolt on and heads + cams packages?

    Absolutely, if that is the limit then you can match this NA. I want someone to resolve this transmission issue as the M156 with big boost would be something special.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,317
    Rep Points
    32,735.4
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
    This company is located in Irvine, CA. Has no one in CA heard of them prior?
    Never heard of them (and I pay pretty close attention to what is going on) but I can certainly pay them a visit and check it all out.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,317
    Rep Points
    32,735.4
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
    We can already say with certainty the M157 will be able to deliver more HP/TQ than this blower on a M156 ever could.
    What are you basing this on? Doesn't the M156 rev higher and have better heads/valvetrain?
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    1,454
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I can understand MB's perspective as they don't want the problem with warranty claims and we all know the 7 speed is weaker than that classic 5-speed. Maybe this will come with time?
    I doubt it. You can't even flash an ECU OBD (unless you play with the ECU first) with a 63, with only 4 tools in the world and all of them being in factory hands, I don't see it ever happening. It's not so much warranty fraud that's the issue, it's the complete and utter destruction of the transmission that would undoubtedly occur within minutes of unleashing all tq limiters in the TCU.

    I just find it a bit ridiculous that I can get my DCT built, which is far more complex, and the 7-speed auto is giving MB guys problems. I realize it isn't a hardware issue but a software one but still. Why can't MB let guys void their warranty and get this cracked? This is the type of thing that holds the enthusiasts back.
    I agree (reg your DCT). Yes it's exactly the thing that holds enthusiasts back. Fortunately for the BMW guys DCT software encryption isn't on par with the MB crap. Unfortunately for us, it is what it is.

    Is it a torque limit that is the issue? If so, how is it not an issue for you when spraying nitrous on top of the bolt on and heads + cams packages?
    It is to an extent, however we can control ramp out rate for nitrous so we have more control than someone running a blower. As far as blowing the trans, yes the torque limiters keep it in one piece and unless properly tuned to handle the extra torque they would grenade almost instantly.

    Getting a TCU file out is impossible, remapping one would be possible but would take time (who knows what maps are where in that), and getting it back in is impossible as well--unless of course you have a factory tool.

    Absolutely, if that is the limit then you can match this NA. I want someone to resolve this transmission issue as the M156 with big boost would be something special.
    There's far more that needs to be done than building the trans to see big power. Not going to happen period with that tiny blower and those uber restrictive inlets. It's a good base blower for low boost, but it's never going to compete with what the BMW tuner's offer in terms of potential. That would require a larger supercharger, built bottom end, trans, converter, and probably altogether a 75K build.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Never heard of them (and I pay pretty close attention to what is going on) but I can certainly pay them a visit and check it all out.
    That would be awesome!

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    What are you basing this on? Doesn't the M156 rev higher and have better heads/valvetrain?
    Yes M156 revs higher (with FI rpm doesn't matter as much though) and has better flowing heads no question. However the M157 is fully forged, with sufficient fuel system and ECU scaling from the factory to accompany it's twin turbos. Making 600HP+ with a M157 is a tune only proposition, not so with a M156. Additionally M157s are backed by a strengthened trans that can handle the 663lb/ft the PP tune puts out and then some. The 722.9 can't and won't. The 722.9 converter is another story in and of itself.

    Basically the M157 is a much better starting point for FI performance.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,317
    Rep Points
    32,735.4
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
    It is to an extent, however we can control ramp out rate for nitrous so we have more control than someone running a blower. As far as blowing the trans, yes the torque limiters keep it in one piece and unless properly tuned to handle the extra torque they would grenade almost instantly.
    If it was built it would not grenade though. Still, making the car understand that is the whole problem. This all foreign territory for me, I find it idiotic torque limits are so hard to raise.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
    Yes M156 revs higher (with FI rpm doesn't matter as much though) and has better flowing heads no question. However the M157 is fully forged, with sufficient fuel system and ECU scaling from the factory to accompany it's twin turbos. Making 600HP+ with a M157 is a tune only proposition, not so with a M156. Additionally M157s are backed by a strengthened trans that can handle the 663lb/ft the PP tune puts out and then some. The 722.9 can't and won't. The 722.9 converter is another story in and of itself.

    Basically the M157 is a much better starting point for FI performance.
    No doubt the M157 is going to be easier to extract the performance from and that will come faster. I'm just speaking on paper the M156 if it didn't have all the difficulties would be incredibly strong with boost since it is fairly efficient to begin with in NA form.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •