Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

C63 vs C63 P31 ?

Was wondering if there are any videos of the C63 vs C63 p31 ?

Or any mags have data on both?
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is what the P31 package contains I believe:

*Increase HP to 481
    *Light Weight AMG Forged Pistons
    *Light Weight Connecting Rods
    *Revised Crankshaft
    *New Engine Managment
    *AMG Compound Braking System
    *Red Brake Calipers
    *New CF Rear Trunk Spoiler
    * Top Speed of 174mph!
    * New Alacantera AMG Steering Wheel

Is that correct though? The P31 has different pistons, rods, and crank? The software is clearly different, I think I even remember reading something about a tuner just reflashing C63's with P31 software.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Im curious if anyone has raced that stock vs stock. Wonder how much the p31 would pull.

I could be mistaken but I believe MHP said they the c63 and c63 p31 end up with the same hp after a tune.
    Current:
    14 Viper TA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    Im curious if anyone has raced that stock vs stock. Wonder how much the p31 would pull.

I could be mistaken but I believe MHP said they the c63 and c63 p31 end up with the same hp after a tune.
    I think the same HP after a tune makes sense, same compression after all right? But it would seem the P31 is a stronger motor with more headroom. I mean, new pistons, rods, and crank? Damn.

I wonder if the other M156 motors in the E63, S63, etc., get this same treatment or just the C-class?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    First, just to clarify, a P31 car gains about 80% of what one of our ECU tunes does, it's not on par with, but is significantly better than a stock non P31 car. After tuning both, both yield the same numbers. However if we tune a non P31 car it will make more power and torque than a P31 car with P31 tune.

For the $ the P31 package is a joke IMO. It doesn't even include a LSD for $6k.

You can actually put together a better P31 package via the aftermarket including tuning, rotors, etc for 2/3 the cost.

The SLS bottom end is supposedly used in the P31 cars and is allegedly 500 grams lighter than a stock M156 rot. assembly. The downside is it's the same damn static C/R as a regular M156 so no power gained there at all. I personally question whether or not the P31 cars even have these bottom ends as the power increase is easily justifiable via software upgrades alone. Why would MB go to all that trouble? Additionally although initially advertised with SLS bottom end, that portion of the mod list was deleted from MBs website not long after being initially posted--it may be back up now I haven't checked. I do know that it is written on the window stickers, but I cannot find part numbers in the MB system for the rot assembly which again makes me think twice.

Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge

A P31 car and Kleemann K1 car ran against each other a few times at the same drag strip in Washington state and ran almost identical times each pass, it was crazy how close it was. Not nearly on par with one of our tune only cars but not bad for a factory tune either.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
    If it has a different bottom end though that is significantly stronger and lighter that is a bargain though.

The SLS bottom end is supposedly used in the P31 cars and is allegedly 500 grams lighter than a stock M156 rot. assembly. The downside is it's the same damn static C/R as a regular M156 so no power gained there at all. I personally question whether or not the P31 cars even have these bottom ends as the power increase is easily justifiable via software upgrades alone. Why would MB go to all that trouble? Additionally although initially advertised with SLS bottom end, that portion of the mod list was deleted from MBs website not long after being initially posted--it may be back up now I haven't checked. I do know that it is written on the window stickers, but I cannot find part numbers in the MB system for the rot assembly which again makes me think twice.
    Is the P31 package available on other M156 cars?

I'm not sure why MB would go to the trouble of a different crank along with pistons and rods but I kind of like it. If it is a lot stronger, even though it is the same compression ratio, it can certainly take more abuse.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    If it has a different bottom end though that is significantly stronger and lighter that is a bargain though.
    Well it would be if the M156 bottom end was junk but it's far from it. The crank is forged as are the rods, pistons are cast hypereuc's but no one is boosting them anyway so no biggie there.

No. I think MB/AMG noticed how much of an aftermarket the C63s produced and wanted to tap into it.

I'm not sure why MB would go to the trouble of a different crank along with pistons and rods but I kind of like it. If it is a lot stronger, even though it is the same compression ratio, it can certainly take more abuse.
    My thoughts exactly, why waste the time? Well the 2012 C63 BS will be coming with SLS motor, maybe a prelude to that? I don't know. .5kg may seem like a lot but in reality it's not much. Again we've seen real world testing (drag strip) and there is no benefit to 99.99% of customers. Maybe if you were spraying a 250 shot, but the trans will go before the non SLS pistons...Case in point when building NMRA FS and PS 4.6s we elect to use factory forged cranks vs factory cast cranks due to the difference in strength the 20lbs of extra mass is worth it to us (PS motors spin to 9700rpm+). 20lbs is a huge difference in crankshaft weight, and in that case it makes sense to upgrade, but not here.

I just don't see any benefit to the SLS bottom end without an increase in C/R. The SLS parts are still not on par with a custom 2618 piston or a billet 4340 I beam rod, same goes for the crank. If you're into performance the $6k can be better spent no question.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well it would be if the M156 bottom end was junk but it's far from it. The crank is forged as are the rods, pistons are cast hypereuc's but no one is boosting them anyway so no biggie there.
    If someone does boost it though this might prove to be quite the package... the pistons are forged instead of cast right?

No. I think MB/AMG noticed how much of an aftermarket the C63s produced and wanted to tap into it.
    Logical and likely what happened especially if they are just using SLS parts they already were producing.

Well the 2012 C63 BS will be coming with SLS motor, maybe a prelude to that?
    You may be on to something here, the BS would likely have this motor with a motor aggressive tune.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If someone does boost it though this might prove to be quite the package... the pistons are forged instead of cast right?
    Yes, they are forged but I don't think 2618.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    First, just to clarify, a P31 car gains about 80% of what one of our ECU tunes does, it's not on par with, but is significantly better than a stock non P31 car. After tuning both, both yield the same numbers. However if we tune a non P31 car it will make more power and torque than a P31 car with P31 tune.

You can actually put together a better P31 package via the aftermarket including tuning, rotors, etc for 2/3 the cost.

Thanks
    Kinda confused by your wording...

"After tuning both, both yield the same numbers"
    After a tune they do yield the same amount of hp, correct?

Then you say this...
    "However if we tune a non P31 car it will make more power and torque than a P31 car with P31 tune."

im confused...seems like you are saying opposite thing... Im missunderstanding
    Current:
    14 Viper TA

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Stock P31 > Stock non P31

MHP > P31

MHP P31 = MHP non P31

Thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Got it! Thanks.. for a second I thought u meant tuned c63 > tuned P31 , would of held me off from looking for p31.

Also how is the limited slip that you can get from Mercedes?
    Current:
    14 Viper TA

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The MB LSD isn't bad, but for the $1800 asking price you can have a Quaife installed (which is a better diff) with a few hundred left over.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Unfortunately none of the other 63s got the "Development Package" (P31), only the C63. I think this is mainly because of the target audience of the C63. I do like the development package and I do think it will likely be a bit more reliable in the long-term (especially when heavily modded) than non P31 cars.

By the way, the new word on the street is that the C63 Black Series will get the 5.5L Twin Turbo engine Click here to enlarge
    2007 E63 P30
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Exeenom Click here to enlarge
    By the way, the new word on the street is that the C63 Black Series will get the 5.5L Twin Turbo engine
    I know, this information is on the homepage Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Exeenom Click here to enlarge
    Unfortunately none of the other 63s got the "Development Package" (P31), only the C63. I think this is mainly because of the target audience of the C63. I do like the development package and I do think it will likely be a bit more reliable in the long-term (especially when heavily modded) than non P31 cars.

By the way, the new word on the street is that the C63 Black Series will get the 5.5L Twin Turbo engine Click here to enlarge
    Thats what Im thinking, although I havent heard of 1 engine problem on these, I figure stronger is always better
    Current:
    14 Viper TA