Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,170
    Rep Points
    2,132.0
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Test drove CTS-V and C63, GT3 brakes driving me nuts!

    So my cars brakes squeal to high hell and its been driving me nuts. I dont even want to drive in the city cause they are so loud and if I go to pick up a date, or take moms to dinner its just obnoxious.

    It just comes with the race brakes i guess....ill even heat em up do many stops from 120/100 down to 40/20 to clean them and they be quiet for maybe half a day then right back to squeeling to high hell. I dont mind a little squeal but this is absurd. Took car into porsche they said they made an audio file and sent it to porsche NA but dont think they will do anything as in the booklet it says they squeak, but this is more like a car driving against a wall.

    Options are to try new pads, but from what I read online it doesnt help.
    I could buy all new brakes but thats expensive.

    So been pondering taking it down a notch plus i havent been able to make it to the track really. The GT3 hands down is my favorite car...its simply amazing...but hey maybe i should just get something chiller and more comfy. I dont know, just debating what to do right now. So thought time for some test drives.

    CTS-V 556hp
    So...test drove CTS-V coupe in stick and auto. I loved the interior, very nice...comfortable (the auto had the recaro upgraded seats a $3200 option and they arent very comfy, unjustifiably hard) the reg seats were very nice but lack a bit of lateral support. The steering was great, very sharp and accurate. The engine just had torque everywhere!!!! Did i say it was torquey! $#@! you could be up 2 gears and it would just pull, 2k rpm no prob! Very smooth and linear power delivery. Was very happy driving it...the manual gearbox was very american, although to my surprise the rest of the car didnt feel that way and let me say i think american cars are crap for the most part, they just feel flimsy and cheap. So the manual throws were a bit long which can be fixed but a pretty good gearbox...clutch had a nice feel not to light not to heavy. I think u can just let the clutch up without gas and it will engage cause there is so much torque. The Autobox was surprisingly very good!!!! I liked it alot...pretty quick, downshifts are quick...seemed to match revs actually, didnt realize an auto could do that, maybe im wrong. Didnt like that it did what the m-dct does when u hit redline it just bogs down then takes forever to shift...I raced a chevy ssr down topanga from a redlight with my friend in front and saleman in back that when i discover the redline lag...tires spun in first a bit bogged down still smoked the ssr. Amazing car overall just wish it was lighter. The ride was smooth, handled bumps great/broken pavement, not like the C63.

    C63 w/ performance package. 480hp
    Loved the engine, steering was good, nice feel didnt get to do much turning was in the city, found one spot thou. Car felt like a train, very planted, lots of torque, felt solid like u could drive thru a brick wall unscathed. But the RIDE WAS HARSH. I was surprised felt stiff, like the suspension is too stiff for the chasis, opposite of the GT3 where the suspension is softened cause the car is so rigid w/ solid chasis. I was upset by that, I could feel every bump and i could see the car becoming very unsettled in the canyon or any turn with a few bumps. Exhaust note was orchestrated by GOD himself, probably one of the best stock V8 sounds ever. and the 2nd most disappointing thing was the GEARBOX, in manual mode felt very slow on downshift, that alone would stop me from buying the car...i double tapped it and would only do one gear and even when downshifting just one gear felt like forever. I thought the caddys auto box was much much better. My friend followed in his m5 and video taped...ill put it up when he sends it.

    Out of these 2 i would have to say i would go for the Caddy. The C63 was 70k and the 2 caddys were 68 (had an amazing 800 a month 24 month lease plan!) and 71.

    Want to go test drive an M3 again to feel a stock one.

    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by DD GT3 RD; 11-20-2010 at 10:55 PM.
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    795
    Rep Points
    591.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    If you are thinking about a performance sedan or grand touring car, I think it be best to wait a bit longer. New versions coming out soon, I think.

    Trade the GT3 for one with PCCBs or a 2008 GT2 Click here to enlarge

    My GT3 has been my best car owing experience. 18K miles and 8 oil changes(Click here to enlarge) in 10 months, zero problems... I got PCCBs though.
    Last edited by GT3; 11-20-2010 at 10:49 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,170
    Rep Points
    2,132.0
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GT3 Click here to enlarge
    If you are thinking about a performance sedan or grand touring car, I think it be best to wait a bit longer. New versions coming out soon, I think.

    Trade the GT3 for one with PCCBs or a 2008 GT2 Click here to enlarge

    My GT3 has been my best car owing experience. 18K miles(Click here to enlarge) in 10 months, zero problems...
    What new versions?

    and trading it is expensive, paying take on a 120k car is 12k!!!! The gt3 is my favorite car no question, but the brakes are making me nuts.
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    795
    Rep Points
    591.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Try some Performance Friction iron slotted or drilled rotors. Call Craig at www.rennstore.com ; he'll hook you up.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    795
    Rep Points
    591.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    What new versions?

    and trading it is expensive, paying take on a 120k car is 12k!!!! The gt3 is my favorite car no question, but the brakes are making me nuts.
    I was thinking about the new M5/M6, C63 5.5 liter TT replacement, new GTR, etc.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,170
    Rep Points
    2,132.0
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22



    Reputation: Yes | No
    thanks, might try just putting on some carrera pads and see if that works
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    795
    Rep Points
    591.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,460
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    uhh.. these cars and price range are out of my league, but id say try a different brake setup before swapping out for an entirely different car?

    Good feedback on the test drives though Click here to enlarge

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,170
    Rep Points
    2,132.0
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GT3 Click here to enlarge
    I was thinking about the new M5/M6, C63 5.5 liter TT replacement, new GTR, etc.
    GTR is out of the question, amazing car, but i typically dont like AWD, and turbos, but depends how they feel, always been an N/A guy, that one thing that was great about the caddy, the roots blower is so instantaneous, no lag. Also, want RWD. But ill have to find one i can drive before really saying.

    New M5 will be a beast...but if i get a new car will be used, and just something cheaper around 60, i just spend too much money on cars.

    New c63 will be nuts for sure with the turbos...any idea when its out?
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,076
    Rep Points
    31,288.5
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Amazing how similar we think Sammy.

    First of all, your brake issue can be fixed. If that is all that bothers you, this issue can be resolved and it will cost you a hell of a lot less than the bath you would take on the GT3.

    I feel the same you do about American cars, they just feel so damn cheap. Probably because they are made out of cheap plastic inside but that is changing, namely with what Cadillac is doing.

    My conclusion would be the exact same as yours, CTS-V coupe over the C63 although the CTS-V is a heavy pig.

    If anything else, new M5. I'm even tempted to just wait for the new M5. I also feel the same way you do about the GTR.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    1,453
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    C63 won't get TT 5.5L V8 until MY 2013, however there will be a BS variant with SLS engine components (how much of them not yet confirmed) in 2012.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,170
    Rep Points
    2,132.0
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Amazing how similar we think Sammy.

    First of all, your brake issue can be fixed. If that is all that bothers you, this issue can be resolved and it will cost you a hell of a lot less than the bath you would take on the GT3.

    I feel the same you do about American cars, they just feel so damn cheap. Probably because they are made out of cheap plastic inside but that is changing, namely with what Cadillac is doing.

    My conclusion would be the exact same as yours, CTS-V coupe over the C63 although the CTS-V is a heavy pig.

    If anything else, new M5. I'm even tempted to just wait for the new M5. I also feel the same way you do about the GTR.
    haha...I realized you and I are very similar in like and dislikes with cars. You have good taste my friend.


    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
    C63 won't get TT 5.5L V8 until MY 2013, however there will be a BS variant with SLS engine components (how much of them not yet confirmed) in 2012.
    heard about this. Isnt the performance package on the C63 some of that as well? It says the package includes:


    *Increase HP to 481
    *Light Weight AMG Forged Pistons
    *Light Weight Connecting Rods
    *Revised Crankshaft
    *New Engine Managment
    *AMG Compound Braking System
    *Red Brake Calipers
    *New CF Rear Trunk Spoiler
    * Top Speed of 174mph!
    * New Alacantera AMG Steering Wheel
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,170
    Rep Points
    2,132.0
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22



    Reputation: Yes | No
    sticky, also what is the answer to my brake situation you mentioned?
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    1,453
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge

    heard about this. Isnt the performance package on the C63 some of that as well? It says the package includes:


    *Increase HP to 481
    *Light Weight AMG Forged Pistons
    *Light Weight Connecting Rods
    *Revised Crankshaft
    *New Engine Managment
    *AMG Compound Braking System
    *Red Brake Calipers
    *New CF Rear Trunk Spoiler
    * Top Speed of 174mph!
    * New Alacantera AMG Steering Wheel
    I would skip the P31 package. You can do a Quaife Diff for $1450 installed so pass on that as well. P31 is basically a 520HP factory tune, it runs on par with a Kleemann ECU tune. We get P31s to the same 540-545HP we do with every C63 for around 35% the cost. I also can neither confirm nor deny that the SLS bottom end is really included. The gains are easily attainable with present factory software (S/SL/CL class), and although the pistons and rods are forged and .5 kilo lighter in the M159/SLS motor, the static C/R remains 11.3:1 so there is no power to be gained there and the M156 rods/crank/pistons are more than up to par. I also can't find part numbers for the P31 cars rotating assemblys in MBs part system to date and the cars have been on the road for months now. Very odd...

    I think the C63 BS gets the SLS top end with revised airboxes due to the lower hood. The top end makes the power and the SLS cams are where the greatest gains are. Our sticks are significantly larger than SLS cams to boot.

    Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by MHP LLC; 11-21-2010 at 02:44 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,170
    Rep Points
    2,132.0
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22



    Reputation: Yes | No
    interesting, thanks.....also does anyone tune the autobox? is it possible? cause that thing downshifts slow Click here to enlarge felt like that $#@!ed the car up.
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,076
    Rep Points
    31,288.5
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    sticky, also what is the answer to my brake situation you mentioned?
    I forget the specs on your car, you don't have ceramics, right?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,888
    Rep Points
    1,422.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    You should drive the new E63, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I honestly think it handles better than the C63, even being heavier. It definitely has way better ride quality.

    Plus it has the new Speedshift MCT seven-speed, drops the torque-converter for a wet clutch setup.

    You could pick up a 2010 E63 with less than 10k miles, for around $80k.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,076
    Rep Points
    31,288.5
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    You should drive the new E63, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I honestly think it handles better than the C63, even being heavier. It definitely has way better ride quality.

    Plus it has the new Speedshift MCT seven-speed, drops the torque-converter for a wet clutch setup.

    You could pick up a 2010 E63 with less than 10k miles, for around $80k.
    Don't think the E63 is really his style.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,888
    Rep Points
    1,422.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Don't think the E63 is really his style.
    It is basically the same size/weight as a CTS-V and yards better than a C63, especially the gearbox. If he is considering the next M5, surely he should consider an E63.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,076
    Rep Points
    31,288.5
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    It is basically the same size/weight as a CTS-V and yards better than a C63, especially the gearbox. If he is considering the next M5, surely he should consider an E63.
    Well, the M5 and the CTS-V generally are sportier than the E63. I see your line of thinking but I would argue the CTS-V and the M5 are going to be more fun to drive/involved and more in line with the style he goes for.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,170
    Rep Points
    2,132.0
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I forget the specs on your car, you don't have ceramics, right?
    no ceramics, i actually looks for iron brakes cause on the .1 GT3 i heard the ceramics squealed like crazy, but they dont on the .2. I want to shoot myself for that now!!! GGGRRRRRR

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    You should drive the new E63, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I honestly think it handles better than the C63, even being heavier. It definitely has way better ride quality.

    Plus it has the new Speedshift MCT seven-speed, drops the torque-converter for a wet clutch setup.

    You could pick up a 2010 E63 with less than 10k miles, for around $80k.
    Yes, I thought about it, but i have to drive one, sticky right typically i wouldnt consider it, but if i consider a CTS-V i guess id have to consider the E63, hear they handle pretty well now that they got rid of the air suspension that was $#@!. And yes I hear the new 7 mct is amazing. I wish it was on the C63.

    Been getting lots of tickets lately having to fight them, cops everywhere and in canyons so never really go, been super paranoid, nobody goes to the track with me and boring to sit around by myself...so slipping away from my normal GT3/ Lotus loving self. its sad
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,888
    Rep Points
    1,422.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    Yes, I thought about it, but i have to drive one, sticky right typically i wouldnt consider it, but if i consider a CTS-V i guess id have to consider the E63, hear they handle pretty well now that they got rid of the air suspension that was $#@!. And yes I hear the new 7 mct is amazing. I wish it was on the C63.

    Been getting lots of tickets lately having to fight them, cops everywhere and in canyons so never really go, been super paranoid, nobody goes to the track with me and boring to sit around by myself...so slipping away from my normal GT3/ Lotus loving self. its sad
    Yeah, just something to consider. I would easily put the new E63 sportiness/handling on par or even better than the E60 M5 and CTS-V. I had similar feelings prior to driving the new E63. I read the articles praising its chassis and handling, but I refused to believe it, since I had driven the older E63 a few years back. The car far exceeded my expectations, the steering is very precise and it does not feel 4,000 plus pounds. They look killer in white.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Boca Raton FL
    Posts
    2,042
    Rep Points
    48.0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    dont be a pussy and get a 458 Italia
    Click here to enlarge

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,076
    Rep Points
    31,288.5
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    dont be a pussy and get a 458 Italia
    Seconded.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,170
    Rep Points
    2,132.0
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Seconded.
    any idea for the brakes on the car now
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •