1551 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Tony Stewart hits and kills diver

Graphic footage so be sure you want to see someone getting hit with a car:

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

6 out of 6 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    IDK about all this... A LOT of people are very upset, think he's a murderer, etc... I am not sure what to say here.

I have been racing, been to school, etc. - and one of the things not to do is get out of your car when it's on a live track unless it's on fire/you feel your life is in imminent danger. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't - but if either is the case, two things should have happened; the red flag should have been waving the MILLISECOND they noticed this man get out of the car. The second thing is that the man should not have stepped in front of moving traffic with the thought that he could stop a car by waving his arms. I understand what happened here is terrible, but what this man did was also very wrong. It would be the rough "equivalent" of getting mad at a train for making you sit at a crossing guard, so you race to the next crossway to beat the train - get out of your car - and walk down the track to scream at the conductor while the train is coming at you. He can't stop in time, and hits you; who's fault is it?

He wanted the other guy to stop - thought he would show how tough he is by walking on a racetrack with moving cars, and a terrible accident occurred. Hopefully it was not intentional, and truly is an accident - but the point is, he should know the danger involved in something like this. Not to speak ill of the dead, but what he did was childish.

Now, I am not sure if Tony didn't see him, was off the grove, was looking down, etc. - I am sure we will find out as more video comes out. It almost looks like the car in front blocked his view, and he literally didn't see him? IDK, point is - this shouldn't have happened regardless of "what happened". This $#@! belongs in a boxing ring, not on a track. What did he think would happen by getting out of his car? It makes me mad, but sad for him at the same time. Terrible thing to happen, that's for sure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1551 Post(s)

I agree with what you're saying. I don't know if Tony tried to avoid him or not. I think there is likely blame on both sides here.

Either way, it's a tragedy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Very sad. One thing I learned is to never exit your vehicle at the track until all cars are stopped. Especially going on the track and trying to stop another car... WTF

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

You NEVER EVER GET out of a race car with moving traffic unless told it is clear

Rule #1 of any type of autosport.

The fact that NASCAR has some horrific hateful competition makes one wonder, but isn't Mr Stewart one of the cleaner souls in that sport ???

God bless anyway
    E85 996 TTS RWD = 2/3 HBK
    E39 540i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Good point on the red flag mention but this is a bit different than your train reference.

You hear Tony Stewart hit his gas not turn his wheel or brake, etc. The guy is Def entirely wrong for getting out of his vehicle like that, certainly bringing the possibility of getting struck by any of the cars but that should of been on accident not on purpose like this.
    2009 FBO RB'd mtech e92 6AT - 11.3@126
    2008 FBO CR e82 6M - 12.0@120 - Sold

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yeah this is sad, seen it this morning.

The bigger issue is Tony Stuart blurped the throttle to get past him, and it kicked the rear end out, which made contact to the 17 year old victim.

Obviously the kid should never have gotten out of his car. He was just copying what he had seen his hero's do many many many times, get out of the car, point your finger at the guy that wrecked you and make your point.

It's really sad.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Darwin Award goes to Kevin Ward Jr. If your pissed at another driver take it up in the pits afterwards.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1551 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Legionofboom Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah this is sad, seen it this morning.

The bigger issue is Tony Stuart blurped the throttle to get past him, and it kicked the rear end out, which made contact to the 17 year old victim.

Obviously the kid should never have gotten out of his car. He was just copying what he had seen his hero's do many many many times, get out of the car, point your finger at the guy that wrecked you and make your point.

It's really sad.
    20 years old.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Legionofboom Click here to enlarge

Apparently you steer these things with the throttle. So what sounds like Tony gunning him down was most likely Tony trying to swerve and avoid him at the last second.
    Sad situation but in my opinion the blame is 100% on the guy who got out of his car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1551 Post(s)

It's possible that Tony was either trying to scare him or avoid him. Regardless, his career will never be the same. The family will go after Stewart and Stewart will settle. His income will be impacted dramatically by this. No matter what it won't bring this kid back though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nugs Click here to enlarge
    Apparently you steer these things with the throttle. So what sounds like Tony gunning him down was most likely Tony trying to swerve and avoid him at the last second.
    Sad situation but in my opinion the blame is 100% on the guy who got out of his car.
    Exactly the morons on tv do not know sh*t about racing in general. Let alone dirt track racing. These cars are very difficult to drive at half speed. They are made to go sideways around left hands turns. Right rear tire is bigger. Throttle blip was done to make the car go left.

The last thing Tony would want is someone to die like this at a dirt track. This sport does not need something like this happening. The sport is dying, he owns one of the bigger dirt tracks Eldora Speedway. This is a sad accident and I am sure Tony is devastated.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Every bone and muscle in Stewarts body was reacting to avoid the kid. Unless he's pure evil I guarantee that. Regardless of how *insert emotion here* he was no normal conscious human being would purposefully run someone over.

Regarding the victim. I pretty much thought I was immortal at his age as well. RIP
    E92 N54 3368lbs
    FSR Motorsports
    Dynojet 431whp 483wtq

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

i watched it over and over and i have changed my mind, i saw a picture of the car and to see to the right has got to be extremely difficult and in those conditions even harder. I take my statement back, I do not know what happened and can't blame Stewart. Whats non debatable is coming out of your car onto a track like that is very dangerous. I am curious as to what happens.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Sad but that kid was wrong for getting out of his car
    ground control coilovers/wavetrac lsd/ full m3 suspension/delrin bushings/ megan racing toe and camber arms/bmw oem performance carbon fiber front lip and rear deck spoiler/m3 strut brace/ecs SS brakelines/CPE dci's, charge pipe, catless dp, fmic/bms OCC/tuningtechfs custom tune/defiv diff lockdownkit,rbpcv valve.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

WTF was that kid thinking? Instead of jumping over the low wall to get to safety he decided he needed to show his distaste for Stewart's driving in the most public way possible. He didn't deserve to die but it's hard not to say he wasn't pushing his luck...the car before Stewart almost hit him a second earlier! My condolences to the family, such a needless loss...

/
    //A L E X A N D R E 1983 Photography///ALX1983.COM, Flickr, Facebook, Tumblr

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The family will go after Stewart and Stewart will settle. His income will be impacted dramatically by this.
    Aren't all drivers required to sign a waiver before going on track that basically says that if anything happens, no one can be blamed for it? This is a racing accident, albeit a very tragic and sad one.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    i watched it over and over and i have changed my mind, i saw a picture of the car and to see to the right has got to be extremely difficult and in those conditions even harder. I take my statement back, I do not know what happened and can't blame Stewart. Whats non debatable is coming out of your car onto a track like that is very dangerous. I am curious as to what happens.
    Good info here Chuck.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The family will go after Stewart and Stewart will settle. His income will be impacted dramatically by this. No matter what it won't bring this kid back though.
    I agree his career will never be the same, but I don't think it will be due to a lawsuit. His insurance company will settle, but I doubt it will impact him financially in a devastating way. More likely emotionally and mentally.

-Rich
    E90 LCI 335i Black Sapphire (his)
    COBB/PTF proTUNE/Alpina/BMS Drop-in/PSS/Blizzak
    L322 Range Rover Java Black (hers)
    1969 Opel Gt Strato Blue (storage)
    Audi TT ALMS Misano Red - 1 of 500 in the US (storage)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1551 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge
    I agree his career will never be the same, but I don't think it will be due to a lawsuit. His insurance company will settle, but I doubt it will impact him financially in a devastating way. More likely emotionally and mentally.

-Rich
    I have no idea what will happen. It's just a sad situation. Money isn't going to bring anyone back anyway.

I have a hard time believing Stewart intentionally hit him. I do believe Stewart tried to scare him and perhaps was too aggressive in doing so.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge

-Rich
    Maybe would believe that if it was some other driver, but not Tony Stewart. He has one of the strongest most resilient attitudes. I see him getting back in the car eventually, at worst sit out the remainder of the season. He has plenty of money, owns a race track, part owner of his team with one of richest men in the world. I have no doubt this time next year he will be racing and probably in the hunt for the championship.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
    Maybe would believe that if it was some other driver, but not Tony Stewart. He has one of the strongest most resilient attitudes. I see him getting back in the car eventually, at worst sit out the remainder of the season. He has plenty of money, owns a race track, part owner of his team with one of richest men in the world. I have no doubt this time next year he will be racing and probably in the hunt for the championship.

Let's hope so!

-Rich
    Last edited by richpike; 08-17-2014 at 08:06 PM.
    E90 LCI 335i Black Sapphire (his)
    COBB/PTF proTUNE/Alpina/BMS Drop-in/PSS/Blizzak
    L322 Range Rover Java Black (hers)
    1969 Opel Gt Strato Blue (storage)
    Audi TT ALMS Misano Red - 1 of 500 in the US (storage)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Tony Stewart loves racing, he is not doing it for the money any more, it would be sad if evidence comes out or it gets spun in a way that sponsor's and fans desert him, and racing no longer loves him.

His passion for it would be destroyed (every thing he lived for), he would no longer be effective as a racer, his self doubt about his judgment would hold him back and castrate that balls to wall attitude that spurred his success.

One side of the fence will feel that is deserved.

It is the court of public opinion that will deal the hardest blow.

As others have said a civil suit will be quickly settled.

I was not fan of Tony Stewart but respected his drive and determination, I do care for both as fellow human beings, I do not blame a 20-yr old kid (Kevin Ward Jr.) for impulsive moves in the heat of the moment, fellow racers and Adults running the sport need to help watch out and protect kids from emulating their role models in the worst way

RIP Kevin Ward Jr.