Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

aftermarket stereo - 2005 clk320 W209

does anyone know the following...

if you wanted to swap out the factory for an aftermarket. can you.
    Not worried about the wheel controls or anything else.

I believe its not a straight swap because the MB system is fibre.

if you remove the stereo, will you get error codes?

can you simply bypass the factory amp and run cables to the OUTPUT of the amp (hence to the speakers?)

Cheers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Swap out the factory what? Head unit? Speakers? Amp? All of the above? You will not get error codes. Most likely you will need a line output converter or preferably a processor if you want to integrate your own amplifiers.

Chances are if you have navigation, then you'd have to spend some coin to get as clean of a look and as functional after market double din to match the quality of the OEM head unit.

Luckily this is my area of expertise and I can help you. I have been sponsored in the past by some of the best companies in the industry and have competed in several aspects of car audio. So here's a few questions I need to ask to better help you.

What are you goals? Just wanna be loud? Vocals or bass or both?

How much do you care about sound quality? Chances are you initial equipment thoughts will answer this question for me as most people's perspective of "quality sound" is far from true sound quality systems.

What is your budget?

Can you install yourself?

Are you trying to keep the car looking stock or are you ok with minor modifications to the car? For example: custom fiberglass work, etc.

Let me know and I can get you going in the right direction.

My first thoughts though are...

You will need to upgrade your stock power sourcing, alternator may be ok depending on the size of system, but you'll need to upgrade the battery and get some good power wires.

You'll need a processor to properly integrate any aftermarket equipment into the stock head unit, or to even truly setup a proper aftermarket system. Audison, Alpine, and Rockford Fosgate all have good options. I honestly really like the rockford unless you want to drop the coin on an Alpine F1 Status or Zapco processing. Audison options are good, but the bit ten has a track record of losing it's digital crossover for short periods of time and causing blown tweeters.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They already used fiber this early on the CLK's?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    From a quick search people have modified the stereo so go ahead!

Have been promising a few members pictures and updates of what i'm actually up to with my CLK at the moment.
    Started with the intention of doing a rough "How-to" for installing a stereo in an MB, but kept forgetting to take vital pictures!
    All the basic rules apply to any MB.

My goals are simple :
    -Must look stock or as close as possible in the interior, and as far as possible in the boot.
    -Can't be overly complicated with multiple amplifiers etc - (this can easily destroy good sound by over doing things)
    -Reversible if the need ever arises.
    -All work done by myself to keep the costs right down.

I am very busy at work at the moment, so have been spending an hour or two after work, 3 days a week for the last 2 doing this.
    This has all been done on a tight budget using second hand equipment, but any car stereo enthusiast will know, the final sound is 80% down to the quality of installation and 20% the equipment.

Here's the equipment that is going in :

Pioneer F900 BT as the source unit, this features sat nav, bluetooth, dvd etc. RRP 1500, got it second hand for 500, admittedly here i could have gone for something a lot chaper and got just as good sound quality.

Hifonics Olympus Amplifier driving all speakers RRP 800, bought for 120
    For thos of you that want the specs, this will be feeding 2 x 125w RMS @ 4 Ohm to the front speakers and 500w RMS to the subs @ 2 ohm bridged.

A/D/S 364 / 641 component speakers - RRP 800ish, oldest component in the system, absolutely love these speakers (especially the silky tweeter), and picked a set up for 80 from E Bay!!

Sub Woofers- 2 x Elemental Designs EHQS 12", These subs are designed for running infinite baffle, which basically means running free air, sealed to the rear shelf and using the boot as the box. This provides arguably the best sound quality of any sub enclosure, but is damn difficult to get right! Important point is to simply the seal the boot from the cabin completely.
    We'll see how this goes. Although these subs will only be receiving a maximum of 500 watts between the two of them, that will be far beyond my needs and i doubt i will ever use 200watts between the two of them.

Ok, let's start with some pictures!

First 2 show that you need to really strip back the interior to get some good space to work with and to get to all the original wiring channels and ducting.

Last pics shows where to run the power cablethrough. Everyone told me the cable had to run across the engine bay and through the fuseboxand over the pedals, but after lifting the battery out you can clearly see the ducting that allows the cable to go through.

My big 0awg power cablewouldn't fit through, so i ran 3 x 4awg runs through the rubber block and conected them through a fused block to the 0awg cable to run the length of the car.

So we have the power cablerunning down the passenger side and the signal RCA cablesrunning down the right hand side to prevent any interference.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Once all the cable has been run it was time to fit the speakers.
    I had the intention of just making some MDF baffles but once i took the door panels off and saw the original pods i decided to reuse these and just cut the old speakers out of the plastic surround. They were quite weak and flexible after removing the speakers so i reinforced them on the inside with Body filler, which stiffened them up perfectly.

A neat rubber gasket and 8 screws holding every speaker into these pods competed that.

You can see how good the fitment is of standard 6.5inch speakers.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

All fitted back on the doors, luckily the tweeters were almost a direct swap, just a little dremeling and they popped in.

The front mids are playing everything from 80hz upwards, the rear mid-basses are just reinforcing the difficult frequencies between 80hz-200hz

Next was to mount the amplifier.
    I originally planned on sitting it on top of the space save spare wheel on a board with some cooling fansbut decided against this once i realised i could just about squeeze even this big amp down into the left recess in the boot, it was a little bit like getting a square through a circular hole, but i got it in eventually and bracketed it with a couple of brackets to orginal bolt points. It is now sat solidly and everything wired up! Another advantage of it sitting here is that all the cable can now easily be concealed behind original trim.

Chucked my brothers spare sub in the boot to give it a quick test run and initial listening showed that it is a massive improvement over the original system or any bose or harman kardonupgrades althought the mid-bass is still lacking a little focus in the vocal ranges which is a little annoying, but most likely due to my extra mid-basses that need some tweaking.

A friend watched me put the passenger door panel backon and thought it was so unbelievably quick he timed me taking the drives panel off. 1min 50secs...not bad, not bad...

More pics to come of the infinite baffle set-up and the final trim up as and when i get that sorted.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Was asked about the exact advantages of running infinite baffle and the kind of sound it produces.

Here's a graph to demonstrate the general frequency response of most IB subs.

We're only really interested in the frequencies under 100hz, the front speakers coverthe rest easily.

You can see that the Infinite baffle and sealed enclosures are much smoother and less peaky than the ported and that the IB has much better low-end extension than either. This will generally mean lower, smother, cleaner sound which most people prefer.

Some hip-hop junkies do like the peaks of a ported box and these go loud without a lot of power.

Sealed boxes are the hardest to get wrong, but also require by far the most amount of power to get as loud as the others.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    HI there, wow thanks for the great info...

first of all, I "heard" because of the fiber its not a straight swap out and you will get error codes, BUT if your saying not then ok, to answer your questions

1> initially the headunit, with a rolling upgrades, (with a plan of what I want - eventually, amp, cables upgrade, spkrs preamp and some kind of sound processor). I like my headunit/changer and I wanna use it Click here to enlarge if the MB amp will accept RCA input then I'll go that route if not, then I'll connect into the speaker cables from the output of the amp.

2> I'd remove the MB head unit and put mine inits place single din (with an adapter plate)

3> All visible work i.e. head unit, I'd want to be able to put back to factory, or have the original parts available to give to the next buyer.

4> Goals, just loud, but as its a convertible it doesnt need to be bone jarring, dont want just jarring bass, I could just wireup a bass tube for that.

5> OK so I'm a DJ, I know how to set up a PA, I also have my own home system, and I know that your not going to get hi-fidelty sound in a driving seat, nor stereo seperation, it's not about audiophile quality; its about using my headunit and beefing it up, so it sounds good, sounds loud, I also dont intend on going to any sound cruises nor do I wanna burst my eardrums nor my passengers,

6> House, wife, kid, not on a fantastic wage, if its a choice outta speakers or shoes for my kid, well, theres no contest. ( What is your budget?)

7> Have been tinkering with car electricals for over 20 years, have installed some good stuff (for me)

8> YEs wanna keep it stock look, with minor mods, also for insurance, but so some toe-rag wont rip stuff out and custom fiberglass work, must look stock or reversible

9> battery upgrade yes I can go with that, I have a lot of stuff laying around from an old install I ripped out prior to selling the car. I'll add a picture for you, I re-trimmed the doors in white leather myself.

10> I have a list of stuff I wanna get, but the headunit is a JVC with changer.

attached, part of my project which got canned;
    head unit with changer, I re-trimmed doors 2 tone white leather upgraded door speaker box, dyna mat, upgraded power cable, gold covered contacts and power bar connections and fuClick here to enlargeses

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very nice ! I would confirm

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    From a quick search people have modified the stereo so go ahead!
    My goals are simple :
    -Must look stock or as close as possible in the interior, and as far as possible in the boot.
    -Reversible if the need ever arises.
    -All work done by myself to keep the costs right down.