Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Fumes in the vehicle without catalytic converters?

Has anyone run their car without cats? I'm curious as to whether or not it's fumey in the car... Of course I would only entertain such an idea if I were strictly running my car at the track. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Stage 3 Weistec Supercharged, long tube headers, high flow catalytic converters, 100% locking limited slip differential, Renntech upgraded transmission
    https://www.facebook.com/mbe63amg

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

4 out of 9 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

This post by SLS AMG is hidden due to excessive negative ratings. Click expand to view the post.

World Fastest (NA) SLS AMG in a Standing 1/2 Mile
    Trap Speed 254.81 Km/hr

Qatar Mile- NOV, 30th 2013
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

5 out of 6 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano Click here to enlarge
    Has anyone run their car without cats? I'm curious as to whether or not it's fumey in the car... Of course I would only entertain such an idea if I were strictly running my car at the track. Click here to enlarge
    I run my C63 without cats, I do occasionally smell the fumes, but not often, and it's definitely nowhere near bad. My wife has never complained about the smell, and never noticed the difference. She noticed the sound difference though.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SLS AMG Click here to enlarge
    I think it would be best to start a thread and list all your novice questions in one post , dont you agree?
    I think it would be best to let him utilize the forum for it's purpose. Don't understand your issue with him starting multiple threads.

He ain't spamming, and he ain't trolling like a lot of other people do on this forum.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

6 out of 6 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Thanks, Charlie...

SLS AMG. I've been down low and up high - and I've never talked down to anyone regardless of my financial status. When people ask me questions that I'm shocked they don't know the answers to, I realize that I cannot be critical of them as they certainly know things that I am clueless about. Yes, my questions are that of a novice. However, I've got two purposes with asking my questions the way I do.

1. I like creating separate discussions for each of my questions as it's easier to stay on topic when asked individually.
    2. I'm making it easy for search engines to rank these discussions which will make it easier for future members to find this site based on their own search queries.

A search engine will have more trouble indexing and ranking a discussion about catalytic converters, wheel sizes, superchargers, etcetera - than each of those discussions split off individually. I'd like to think that I'm not only getting answers to my questions but also benefiting the site itself.

Thanks again, Charlie. If anyone else has thoughts, opinions and/or experiences in regards to their vehicle without catalytic converters, I'd appreciate your input...
    Click here to enlarge
    Stage 3 Weistec Supercharged, long tube headers, high flow catalytic converters, 100% locking limited slip differential, Renntech upgraded transmission

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Thanks, Charlie...

SLS AMG. I've been down low and up high - and I've never talked down to anyone regardless of my financial status. When people ask me questions that I'm shocked they don't know the answers to, I realize that I cannot be critical of them as they certainly know things that I am clueless about. Yes, my questions are that of a novice. However, I've got two purposes with asking my questions the way I do.

1. I like creating separate discussions for each of my questions as it's easier to stay on topic when asked individually.
    2. I'm making it easy for search engines to rank these discussions which will make it easier for future members to find this site based on their own search queries.

A search engine will have more trouble indexing and ranking a discussion about catalytic converters, wheel sizes, superchargers, etcetera - than each of those discussions split off individually. I'd like to think that I'm not only getting answers to my questions but also benefiting the site itself.

Thanks again, Charlie. If anyone else has thoughts, opinions and/or experiences in regards to their vehicle without catalytic converters, I'd appreciate your input...
    Understood. No offense, I just thought you could get more answers in one thread. I have seen some of your threads not being replied to.
    World Fastest (NA) SLS AMG in a Standing 1/2 Mile
    Trap Speed 254.81 Km/hr

Qatar Mile- NOV, 30th 2013
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Understood. No offense, I just thought you could get more answers in one thread. I have seen some of your threads not being replied to.
    Thank you. I realize my questions are very elementary so I'm on the defensive. I appreciate your knowledge, input, criticism and opinions here...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Only if you're smoking weed mate

Click here to enlarge

Sorry REALLY wanted to use that pic
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I had the cats off of two cars and I could smell stuff sometimes... my missus hated it, hence I now have 2 catted cars

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

I think it would be best to start a thread and list all your novice questions in one post , dont you agree?
    Bro, what's wrong with you? Don't discourage people from asking questions and wanting to learn more. That's not what this place is about.

That's not cool at all and won't be tolerated. That isn't how this forum works. We ENCOURAGE people to talk about their cars and although some questions are novice everyone starts somewhere.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by charliekay Click here to enlarge
    I think it would be best to let him utilize the forum for it's purpose. Don't understand your issue with him starting multiple threads.

He ain't spamming, and he ain't trolling like a lot of other people do on this forum.
    Voice of reason, repped, thank you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

I have the cats off in my car and it is very noticeable outside, not inside. I wouldn't worry about any fumes inside the car unless you have a leak somewhere.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    i love the smell of decatted cars. smells like victory.
    '08 535xi - fbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I currently have a de-catted car and I don't smell fumes inside the car but a few people are telling me I'm very lucky. I suppose this is something I'll need to just do and figure out later. Thank you all for the responses.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    The new Direct Injection cars run so clean that we have not had any odor problems when off-road systems have been installed on them. Old style fuel injection however is a different story. It won't be very long before the whole Mercedes line up is using Direct Injection.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)

I do not run primary cats on any of mine, I do however run secondary cats so I can keep the decibles in check. I have not noticed any issues with fumes. If you go catless make sure you have a reputible tuner build your exhaust so you can get proper o2 sensor placement and get the sensors turned off that you will need turned off otherwise you are going to have CELs.
    Click here to enlarge

1000+WHP WEISTEC 2008 CLK63 Black Series
    790WHP WEISTEC 2012 C63 Black Series
    725WHP WEISTEC 2014 SLS Black Series

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
    I do not run primary cats on any of mine, I do however run secondary cats so I can keep the decibles in check. I have not noticed any issues with fumes. If you go catless make sure you have a reputible tuner build your exhaust so you can get proper o2 sensor placement and get the sensors turned off that you will need turned off otherwise you are going to have CELs.
    Thank you. I want good FLOW but I don't want my Mercedes to sound like crap. I'll probably do the same - and keep those secondaries connected. Weistec will be doing the tuning so I'm assuming everything will be fine. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

So I went to Renntech and learned I only have short tube headers. I'm still on the fence about whether I'm going catless or not so I'm thinking about making this purchase:
    http://www.eurocharged.com/products/...headers-detail

From reading it appears the stock cats are 500 cell and these are 200 cell. I'm hearing there's even 100 cell out there somewhere. What are some of your thoughts and opinions about these 200 cell catalytic converters? I'm going with the stage 3 weistec supercharger so I know I need a free flowing exhaust but I don't know how much louder I want the car to be...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

I'm still on the fence about whether I'm going catless or not so I'm thinking about making this purchase:
    http://www.eurocharged.com/products/...headers-detail
    Eurocharged is on the forum you can speak to @Jake@Eurocharged.com if you like and he'll help you.

My opinion is I don't like cats upstream as that is where they really kill power. I believe you have two sets so if you are going to ditch a set, ditch the set in the headers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Eurocharged is on the forum you can speak to @Jake@Eurocharged.com if you like and he'll help you.

My opinion is I don't like cats upstream as that is where they really kill power. I believe you have two sets so if you are going to ditch a set, ditch the set in the headers.
    My main concerns are too raspy of a sound and potential fumes in the vehicle (I realize fumes are unlikely). I like the idea of a low, rumbly exhaust note but it's important to me that the car sounds respectable - even if that means sacrificing some power. I wonder if @Jake@Eurocharged.com would have any YouTube videos of exhaust notes...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

My main concerns are too raspy of a sound and potential fumes in the vehicle (I realize fumes are unlikely). I like the idea of a low, rumbly exhaust note but it's important to me that the car sounds respectable - even if that means sacrificing some power. I wonder if @Jake@Eurocharged.com would have any YouTube videos of exhaust notes...
    I don't know where he is at the moment. I think he was out of town for a bit. @Jake@Eurocharged.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I did catless long tubes on my CLK black series and it was so obnoxiously loud the car was not driveable. Granted the CLK BS has basically straight through mufflers, but any M156 you run with headers is going to be stupid loud - especially if you de catted. I also noticed at red lights idling with no cats and headers I could smell the exhaust.
    I immediately had the collectors of my headers modified to install high flow sport cats, 200 cel, and the car car sounds MUCH better but it is still VERY loud. But, it's only loud when I stab the throttle. Just cruising around it sounds totally stock. Weistec did all the work on my car and they are by far the best when it comes to AMG's. Their attention to detail and making sure it is done perfect the first time makes them the obvious choice.
    here's a video to get an idea of how loud it is:

http://web.stagram.com/p/651122899150758133_1066920055

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

4 out of 11 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

This post by Portman is hidden due to excessive negative ratings. Click expand to view the post.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    It sounds like you would be better suited to going outside and playing hide and go $#@! yourself.!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

2 out of 5 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    It seems to not matter what the thread is about, it always comes down to LZH vs. someone from the middle east.

It would really be nice to see a thread without all this bickering as it is getting old. Is it really that much to ask you guys to stop?
    Click here to enlarge

I will quit being rude if you quit being stupid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast