Close

Thread: Modded E60 M5 SMG vs Modded E60 M5 6MT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Modded E60 M5 SMG vs Modded E60 M5 6MT

Hey guys, wanted to show this video to document again the speed and aggressive 7 speed gearing of the SMG over the 6MT. Nice to see in person as its well known in the M5 community that SMG is always faster then the 6MT brother.. Even BMW didnt want to bother with the old 6MT for the M5, they only offered it in north america, no where else in the world, it was one of their old 6MT i believe off a normal 5 series, where the SMGIII was specifically designed for the high V10 motor, and takes advantage of the high rpm powerband.

My E60 M5 SMG mods:

Evolve Alpha N tune
    OEM RPI de-catted headers
    RPI GTS Exhaust
    RPI pulley
    RPI air scoops + BMC filters
    RPI oil cooler

vs

E60 M5 6MT

Evolve Alpha N tune
    OEM de-catted headers
    Catless exhaust with custom piping + mufflers
    AP pulley
    RPI air scoops + BMC filters

I thought this race was interesting as both M5's are modded, and closely modded.. Just another video to show the difference between the two trans. Raced multiple times and won each time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1709 Post(s)

Driver skill is going to have a big impact on the 6MT. That said, the SMG is so consistent and quick unless someone shifts perfectly ever shift they are going to lose.

Very similar mods so this is interesting to see.

I'd love to front page this but the video is so dark it's tough to see. Obviously the headlights show what happened.

Good stuff.
    Like BoostAddict on FaceBook, get +20 rep and tacos*: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...-FaceBook-page

* Tacos sold separately

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Driver skill is going to have a big impact on the 6MT. That said, the SMG is so consistent and quick unless someone shifts perfectly ever shift they are going to lose.
    this is so true as i experienced that last night when i raced a friend's modded M5 that i'm going to be putting up vids soon
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Nice run man! Thanks for posting.
    09' CTS-V Sedan- Black Raven, Auto, Recaros, Stock for now..

E60 M5 SMG - Sapphire Black exterior, Black interior,
    Full leather, Ventilated comfort seats, Aluminum trim, Alcantara Headliner, Matte Black front/side grills, 20% window tint, Plasti Dipped Black Wheels, Hardwired 9500ix, RPI scoops(Red), Block off plates, BMC filters (c/f delete), Evolve-R Stage 2 Tune, Muffler & Secondary Cat Delete

P500s S6 DSC OFF- ALL DAY, EVERY DAY.. Unless it's wet out
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Beast is running strong man.. I can attest to that 6mt driver shifts really really good, cant row those gears any better. But, Can't overcome the quick speed and good gearing of the smg all else being equal.. I have raced this 6MT when i was 100% stock over a year ago nd he was fully catless( no tune or pulley); we were even from 40-120.. If i was cat less i would have walked him, but goes to show the advantage of having a smg, it overcame him being fully catless with a lighter exhaust system.
    ///M5 LCI
    "It's like the F10 is the 911 Turbo to the E60's GT3" -Pistonheads (M5 feature)