Close

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,880
    Rep Points
    31,857.7
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No

    Prepare for more four-cylinder AMG models but no diesels - M133 into larger sedans?

    Relax, this is not happening just yet. Some AMG traditionalists who favor big displacement will probably not like the idea of a four-cylinder AMG E-Class. AMG's boss said they are considering putting AMG four-cylinder engines in larger sedans, "We haven’t decided anything but in my own mind, as an engineer, I think it could be an interesting solution to have a high-powered four-cylinder petrol engine in a car that’s not a compact - maybe even a saloon. There are markets in the world where engine size affects taxes, and this could be an interesting technical answer to that."

    Boss man Tobias Moers has a point. You could technically have an E63 AMG and an E45 AMG in the lineup. Say whatever you want about a four-cylinder AMG E-Class there is no denying the M133 2.0 liter four-cylinder AMG engine is incredibly impressive and is generating quite a bit of attention in the aftermarket and entire automotive industry.

    While the four-cylinder into larger models is on the table diesels are not. Moers does not like the idea, "The market for highly tuned diesel performance cars is very small and in any case, you can have a performance diesel and it doesn't necessarily give you such a big difference over a more modern, efficient, performance petrol engine."

    Things are going to get very interesting at AMG over the next few years.

    Click here to enlarge

    Source

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    974
    Rep Points
    442.4
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Yes Reputation No
    Not a bad idea, I mean in the old days there used to be multiple AMG versions of some vehicles. Might not see that here though, no one would buy it. I mean if you had to choose between an E400 or an E45, what would you buy? I presume they're going to drop the high-power V6 into the E class at some point. Also I'm guessing the other 550 cars will get bumped to 449 hp just like the S Class and to compete with the 50i BMW cars at 445 hp. So, it would be a cool idea but I doubt they'd sell well in the US.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,880
    Rep Points
    31,857.7
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    Not a bad idea, I mean in the old days there used to be multiple AMG versions of some vehicles. Might not see that here though, no one would buy it. I mean if you had to choose between an E400 or an E45, what would you buy? I presume they're going to drop the high-power V6 into the E class at some point. Also I'm guessing the other 550 cars will get bumped to 449 hp just like the S Class and to compete with the 50i BMW cars at 445 hp. So, it would be a cool idea but I doubt they'd sell well in the US.
    Well, I'd choose the E400 but that would probably bring up the same displacement tax problem that some of these Europeans see. In the US we don't have this issue. If they taxed on displacement here it would destroy the market.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    974
    Rep Points
    442.4
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Well, I'd choose the E400 but that would probably bring up the same displacement tax problem that some of these Europeans see. In the US we don't have this issue. If they taxed on displacement here it would destroy the market.
    Right, I'm guessing an E45 would do well in Europe, probably not here. I'd choose the V6 car too, just sounds nicer and has more potential. Also, honestly even with all the witchcraft that they've used in the M133, you're about at the limit of what you can do with 2 liters and not experience some sort of lag or peakiness. The V6 won't feel like that, and honestly when driving a mid-size sport sedan that costs 60k+, I don't want to feel that.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,880
    Rep Points
    31,857.7
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    Right, I'm guessing an E45 would do well in Europe, probably not here. I'd choose the V6 car too, just sounds nicer and has more potential. Also, honestly even with all the witchcraft that they've used in the M133, you're about at the limit of what you can do with 2 liters and not experience some sort of lag or peakiness. The V6 won't feel like that, and honestly when driving a mid-size sport sedan that costs 60k+, I don't want to feel that.
    Agreed. The Europeans can have these if they want.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •