Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 71
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,829
    Rep Points
    31,808.7
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

    The difference a DCT makes - BMS Tuned 2014 F10 M5 vs. two BMS tuned E92 335 N54's with upgraded twin turbos from a roll

    The camera car in these two videos is the Burger Tuning F10 M5. This car has a BMS JB4 piggyback and downpipes. Some impressive output at the wheels has been shown from this car on a Dynojet in the in the ~630 wheel horsepower range. That is a tall order to overcome for a 335i even for one equipped with upgraded twin turbos. The 335i just is giving up too much power and torque to the M5 along with quicker shifts to the DCT.

    And the DCT is the key. The first video shows an E92 335i that has a manual transmission and it gets crushed. The second video has a similarly modded E92 335is with the RB turbo upgrades but the difference is that it is the 335is model that has the DCT transmission.

    Look at the results and see what a difference a dual clutch makes for yourself.

    Click here to enlarge




    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    45
    Rep Points
    0.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    5 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Amazing what a transmission type alone can do Click here to enlarge confirms the other video from pt f's 335is taking out the R8 and an M5 as well..

    Now imagine a DCT equipped N54 with a ST Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by DevourS65; 04-11-2014 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Added text

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    351
    Rep Points
    545.0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    No surprise there. AFAIK the gearing of the DCT is shorter than the MT.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,829
    Rep Points
    31,808.7
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux Click here to enlarge
    No surprise there. AFAIK the gearing of the DCT is shorter than the MT.
    Shorter gearing doesn't help the top end.

    The M5 isn't able to pull up top.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    52
    Rep Points
    212.0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    6 out of 6 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DevourS65 Click here to enlarge
    Amazing what a transmission type alone can do Click here to enlarge confirms the other video from pt f's 335is taking out the R8 and an M5 as well..

    Now imagine a DCT equipped N54 with a ST Click here to enlarge
    DCT will be toast within a few pulls on ST

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    905
    Rep Points
    795.7
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Oh my ! I just about fell over in my seat when I saw what the 335is DCT did to that tuned M5, and to boot, it just kept pulling. They were both DCT cars. I made mention some time back my expereince driving the new M6 and M5, the DCT shift did not feel instant powerful like the N54/S65 DCT .

    Keep in mind the N54 DCT timing at post shift rarely drops in the negative and has an instant recovery.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    37
    Rep Points
    0.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TurboSid Click here to enlarge
    DCT will be toast within a few pulls on ST

    Not unless you keep the wheel torque within reasonable 500ft ib.

    Big st's normally don't have peaky torque like small turbos.

    Worse case scenario would to run to SSP for their upgraded clutch packs.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,829
    Rep Points
    31,808.7
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dixchen Click here to enlarge
    Worse case scenario would to run to SSP for their upgraded clutch packs.
    Why? SSP doesn't have a real solution. Their stuff is junk. SSP is the worst choice anyone could make.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    37
    Rep Points
    0.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the tip. I had no idea man. Fingers crossed my box will hold then...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,829
    Rep Points
    31,808.7
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dixchen Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the tip. I had no idea man. Fingers crossed my box will hold then...
    I have an idea.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    173
    Rep Points
    117.2
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I thought the first car is Serge's car which would make it auto not manual.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,829
    Rep Points
    31,808.7
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by stangorang Click here to enlarge
    I thought the first car is Serge's car which would make it auto not manual.
    Is it? I read something in the comments about manual.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    173
    Rep Points
    117.2
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    Pretty sure. His car is an RB turbo white e92 with carbon hood and deck lid. If it's his car it's an auto.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    45
    Rep Points
    0.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I have an idea.
    Very good spit it out then...Click here to enlarge

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,829
    Rep Points
    31,808.7
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DevourS65 Click here to enlarge
    Very good spit it out then...Click here to enlarge
    SSP sucks. There you go.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    45
    Rep Points
    0.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    SSP sucks. There you go.
    no I think they owed you money, that's why..

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,829
    Rep Points
    31,808.7
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DevourS65 Click here to enlarge
    no I think they owed you money, that's why..
    No they wasted my time and my money without delivering anything. That's why.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,960
    Rep Points
    2,643.2
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Prob has more to do with the tune , cars health, boost / fuel ran than the transmissions. You can't cloak the dct is the difference from two random runs.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,829
    Rep Points
    31,808.7
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    Prob has more to do with the tune , cars health, boost / fuel ran than the transmissions. You can't cloak the dct is the difference from two random runs.
    They have similar tunes and mods and it's a night and day difference. The DCT is clearly the difference.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    893
    Rep Points
    440.2
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    They have similar tunes and mods and it's a night and day difference. The DCT is clearly the difference.
    Too many variables...I ran my buddies IS and we have the same mods and it's a drivers race. He jumped out half a car or so and I'd real him back in...if I $#@!ed up a shift it was game over though.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    281
    Rep Points
    671.0
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    It also depends on how the first driver is shifting. If you flat foot it there probably isnt too much of a difference between the two. There's quite a few run ins that ive had where i know if i took my foot off the floor id have fallen back fast...especially noticeable in turbo applications

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,960
    Rep Points
    2,643.2
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    They have similar tunes and mods and it's a night and day difference. The DCT is clearly the difference.
    I disagree for a few reasons... First being similar tunes is such a vague term, if logs were provided by both cars that show that both cars are running to there optimum potential than you're argument holds a bit more merit. But even still our n54 powered cars show big discrepancies from one car to the next all the time... Tuning is not the whole picture because both can request 13° and 20lbs of boost but what's car As boost curve set up at, how does his rbs hold boost because some have shown to hold much better towards redline etc.. My 135 6m never lost to another n54 ever never ran more boost or timing than anyone else, just ran strong, that happens






    And second no where have I seen any 335is running higher mph or faster ets than a few tenths 2-3 max.. What that video shows is a car down 50hp.. Iat? Fuels used, what Meth content if any.. Didn't really look into details yet but if this was science your conclusion is more of a hypothesis waiting to be proven
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,829
    Rep Points
    31,808.7
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Blaizon Click here to enlarge
    Too many variables...I ran my buddies IS and we have the same mods and it's a drivers race. He jumped out half a car or so and I'd real him back in...if I $#@!ed up a shift it was game over though.
    It's not too many variables. The major difference between the two is the transmission.

    You and your buddy had the exact same tune and exact same turbo upgrade?

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,829
    Rep Points
    31,808.7
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    I disagree for a few reasons... First being similar tunes is such a vague term, if logs were provided by both cars that show that both cars are running to there optimum potential than you're argument holds a bit more merit. But even still our n54 powered cars show big discrepancies from one car to the next all the time... Tuning is not the whole picture because both can request 13° and 20lbs of boost but what's car As boost curve set up at, how does his rbs hold boost because some have shown to hold much better towards redline etc.. My 135 6m never lost to another n54 ever never ran more boost or timing than anyone else, just ran strong, that happens
    Well I disagree with you. We know the DCT shifts faster. We have two 335's with JB4's and RB turbos. One is a DCT the other isn't. The DCT car does much better and it's a huge difference. The biggest variable between the two is the transmission.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    Didn't really look into details yet but if this was science your conclusion is more of a hypothesis waiting to be proven
    No, not really. Your conclusion is the one waiting to proven as the actual video evidence of what actually happened supports mine. It's been proven time and time again DCT's are faster. So... yep.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    893
    Rep Points
    440.2
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's not too many variables. The major difference between the two is the transmission.

    You and your buddy had the exact same tune and exact same turbo upgrade?
    Incorrect. Mods were the same, turbo's were the same tranny was not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •