Close

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    5
    Rep Points
    9.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

    Help with Passoirt 9500ci - 2013 SL63 PP

    So this is my first post so I hope I'm doing it right (or putting it in the right area at least). Hi, heres my issue. I had a 2009 SL63 and I bought it with the Escort Passport 9500ci. It was working perfectly on the car, saved my ass a couple of times. However I put it in my new 2013 SL63 and the K-band won't stop going off. It actually says there's 2 K-Band signals no matter where I'm at or where I go. I was doing some research and one of the theories is that the distronic on the car can interfere with the radar, and that makes perfect sense, except that my 2009 SL63 had it as well and it never gave me that problem. So I was wondering have any of you guys experienced this? Or know someone who has? It's driving me crazy I can't use my radar because of it. Thanks guys! Like I said it's also my first time posting so if I don't answer back right away or do it in a weird fashion please forgive me! Click here to enlarge

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    London and USA
    Posts
    2,061
    Rep Points
    1,442.9
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Some new Mercs have a film on the windscreen that interferes and some have an electronic interference... try messing with your antenna... or an old military trick.. wrap some wire around the casing and hang a length off..... like a secondary transmitting antennae
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive


    Click here to enlarge



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    5
    Rep Points
    9.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
    Some new Mercs have a film on the windscreen that interferes and some have an electronic interference... try messing with your antenna... or an old military trick.. wrap some wire around the casing and hang a length off..... like a secondary transmitting antennae

    Hey those are some pretty good ideas.. Only issue is I have no idea how to do it on my own and definitely don't want to mess up my new car lol. Is there a step by step link or something you can provide me with? If not its totally fine, thanks for the help!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    London and USA
    Posts
    2,061
    Rep Points
    1,442.9
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by etaigil Click here to enlarge
    Hey those are some pretty good ideas.. Only issue is I have no idea how to do it on my own and definitely don't want to mess up my new car lol. Is there a step by step link or something you can provide me with? If not its totally fine, thanks for the help!

    you are going to laugh, I used to be a crypto/radar engineer in the Ausie Air Force... we used to try all sorts of "backyard" stuff... like hooking our radio to a wire fence by just grabbing some copper wire, jamming it onto the existing antenna and then tying it to a fence.... amazing how well that works sometimes

    What I would do is just wrap some wire even a cut wire coathanger and wrap it around the radar (as a temp test) and see if that works... or get some old speaker wires and remove the copper and wrap it once around the radar and then dangle a LONG piece off (even try a few feet)... let it hang down into the back seat even ... see if you get any joy then.

    Remember any antennae will work as it is a simply a way to MAGNIFY your electromagnetic field... the larger the field the more chance it has of picking up a signal

    I have heard late model Mercs are radar tough because of some elint they have built in and that "shielding" effect.

    There is also a radar detector forum for car geeks that may be worth seraching
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive


    Click here to enlarge



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,076
    Rep Points
    31,288.5
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by etaigil Click here to enlarge
    Hey those are some pretty good ideas.. Only issue is I have no idea how to do it on my own and definitely don't want to mess up my new car lol. Is there a step by step link or something you can provide me with? If not its totally fine, thanks for the help!
    Where are you located? A vendor might be able to help you out with this.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    5
    Rep Points
    9.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Where are you located? A vendor might be able to help you out with this.
    I'm in Miami Florida, yeah if you know someone or a trusted vendor that would be fantastic! I just got this car it has 15,000 miles on it and I definitely don't want to do any of this myself.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,076
    Rep Points
    31,288.5
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    @Andrew@activeautowerke is this something you guys could help him with since he is local?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    974
    Rep Points
    2,185.4
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    @Andrew@activeautowerke is this something you guys could help him with since he is local?
    Never done anything like that before...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,076
    Rep Points
    31,288.5
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Andrew@activeautowerke Click here to enlarge
    Never done anything like that before...
    Do you know anyone in the area to refer him to?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    5
    Rep Points
    9.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Do you know anyone in the area to refer him to?
    Thanks so much for the help sticky! I really appreciate it!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,076
    Rep Points
    31,288.5
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by etaigil Click here to enlarge
    Thanks so much for the help sticky! I really appreciate it!
    My pleasure. It's what I'm here for.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    974
    Rep Points
    2,185.4
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I'd probably contact some stereo/ tint shops to see if they have encountered this issue before.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    5
    Rep Points
    9.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    "I also have a 9500ci installed in my 2013 SL63 with the same issue. You basically have 2 choices; turn off K band or purchase the Mid City Engineering module for $500 to filter out monitoring of the specific K band frequency emitted by distronic. The Mid City module provides some really cool features which integrate the 9500ci into the dashboard display, but I opted to turn off K band. IMHO Escort should provide a firmware update to allow users to turn off monitoring of the frequency MB uses for distronic. At some point Escort is going to start loosing customers because of this."

    Got this from another site if anyone is familiar with this, thanks!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,076
    Rep Points
    31,288.5
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by etaigil Click here to enlarge
    "I also have a 9500ci installed in my 2013 SL63 with the same issue. You basically have 2 choices; turn off K band or purchase the Mid City Engineering module for $500 to filter out monitoring of the specific K band frequency emitted by distronic. The Mid City module provides some really cool features which integrate the 9500ci into the dashboard display, but I opted to turn off K band. IMHO Escort should provide a firmware update to allow users to turn off monitoring of the frequency MB uses for distronic. At some point Escort is going to start loosing customers because of this."

    Got this from another site if anyone is familiar with this, thanks!
    Appreciated, thanks. Moving this to the SL forum since it is model specific.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •