Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Noob intercooler and IAT question

Does the intercooler draw the same fluid from the coolant reservoir or does it have a separate fill port? Also are IAT temps around 170F normal? I am thinking my intercooler circuit ran dry.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No idea... @Jake@Eurocharged.com

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nsx Click here to enlarge
    Does the intercooler draw the same fluid from the coolant reservoir or does it have a separate fill port? Also are IAT temps around 170F normal? I am thinking my intercooler circuit ran dry.
    same and ya somethings wrong...
    Eurocharged Performance
    Tuner of the WORLDS FASTEST E55 - 10.46 @ 134.42
    Tuner of the WORLDS FASTEST C32 - 12.33 @ 115.08

Locations in Houston - Chicago - Boston - DC- Toronto - Hong Kong - South Africa
    Over 30 other dealer locations around the word

Sales@eurocharged.com

Over 7000 customers strong!

Proud tuning partners of Underground Racing!

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jake@Eurocharged.com Click here to enlarge
    same and ya somethings wrong...
    I am hitting around 9psi of boost max - stock tune and stock car other than brabus exhaust and K&N filters. I think I heard that stock boost hits 12psi? And what is a normal stock IAT? Any ideas of where to look for the solution of the high IAT? The coolant looks full.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am hitting around 9psi of boost max - stock tune and stock car other than brabus exhaust and K&N filters. I think I heard that stock boost hits 12psi? And what is a normal stock IAT? Any ideas of where to look for the solution of the high IAT? The coolant looks full.
    That is low. I'm not sure what is up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    probably air in the system....

check for boost leaks too...
    Eurocharged Performance
    Tuner of the WORLDS FASTEST E55 - 10.46 @ 134.42
    Tuner of the WORLDS FASTEST C32 - 12.33 @ 115.08

Locations in Houston - Chicago - Boston - DC- Toronto - Hong Kong - South Africa
    Over 30 other dealer locations around the word

Sales@eurocharged.com

Over 7000 customers strong!

Proud tuning partners of Underground Racing!

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    @ nsx

Because you posted in the M275 V12 Section you mean SL600 or SL65? The V12TT have separated intercooler cirquits. 170 degrees F is way two much, maybe your intercooler pump is not working. I would recommend to datalog IAT-Temps while driving or take your car to a Dealer/Tuner to check the pump. Also 9 PSI Boost is way to low, especially in the midrange. Check for boost leaks or make electronic boost check (boost related parts) with MB STAR-Diagnosis etc.
    Last edited by 65AMG; 04-02-2014 at 05:28 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 65AMG Click here to enlarge
    @ nsx

Because you posted in the M275 V12 Section you mean SL600 or SL65? The V12TT have separated intercooler cirquits. 170 degrees F is way two much, maybe your intercooler pump is not working. I would recommend to datalog IAT-Temps while driving or take your car to a Dealer/Tuner to check the pump. Also 9 PSI Boost is way to low, especially in the midrange. Check for boost leaks or make electronic boost check (boost related parts) with MB STAR-Diagnosis etc.
    Nice post, repped.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    @ nsx

This is for the 2003 S600 (same engine AFAIK), I heard the S600 will eventually self bleed the air in the intercooler circuit. I just replaced the intercooler pump as well (replaced a 2009 bosch 010 pump with a 2013 bosch 010 pump). I have been logging the boost and the IAT using a cheapie bluetooth OBD adaptor and the Torque engine diagnostics program on my Android phone.

The intake temps vary between 130-175F when the car is warmed up. I hit 12psi when the car is cool (5 min after start up) and 9psi after the car has been running for some time.

If the intercooler is a totally separate circuit, how can I tell if there is fluid/air in that circuit? Is there a different fill port?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

This is for the 2003 S600 (same engine AFAIK), I heard the S600 will eventually self bleed the air in the intercooler circuit. I just replaced the intercooler pump as well (replaced a 2009 bosch 010 pump with a 2013 bosch 010 pump). I have been logging the boost and the IAT using a cheapie bluetooth OBD adaptor and the Torque engine diagnostics program on my Android phone.

The intake temps vary between 130-175F when the car is warmed up. I hit 12psi when the car is cool (5 min after start up) and 9psi after the car has been running for some time.

If the intercooler is a totally separate circuit, how can I tell if there is fluid/air in that circuit? Is there a different fill port?
    Ah, o.k. S600. When the intake temps are varying between 130-175F the pump seems to be working, but the temperatures are too high. Like Jake from EC said, I think there are air pockets in the system, maybe as a result of changing the pump without air bleeding procedure. There is a filler cap of the system behind the engine near the transmission oil filling. But it is a complex procedure to get rid of all air pockets, MB has special equipment for this and it's not so easy if you don't have this equipment.

12PSI in the midrange is o.k. for a stock S600, in the highest RPM stock boost is tapering off to approx.9 PSI in the stock S600.

When you only get 9PSI also in the midrange after the car has warmed up, I think ECU is already pulling boost because of the too high IATs (air pockets in the IC System). This is definately not normal. I would recommend to make a proper filling/bleeding of the IC-System.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Pulling boost makes sense. An intercooler upgrade isn't a bad idea...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes, Sticky. Cooler is always better Click here to enlarge.For a stock or mild tuned car the stock system is not that bad, when it is in full function.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ah, o.k. S600. When the intake temps are varying between 130-175F the pump seems to be working, but the temperatures are too high. Like Jake from EC said, I think there are air pockets in the system, maybe as a result of changing the pump without air bleeding procedure. There is a filler cap of the system behind the engine near the transmission oil filling. But it is a complex procedure to get rid of all air pockets, MB has special equipment for this and it's not so easy if you don't have this equipment.

12PSI in the midrange is o.k. for a stock S600, in the highest RPM stock boost is tapering off to approx.9 PSI in the stock S600.

When you only get 9PSI also in the midrange after the car has warmed up, I think ECU is already pulling boost because of the too high IATs (air pockets in the IC System). This is definately not normal. I would recommend to make a proper filling/bleeding of the IC-System.
    You are the man! I think your analysis is quite accurate and your observations astute.

I just took the car to the track in 65 degree weather at Firebird international and ran 12.7@112 consistently with street tires and a touch of race gas (topped off the tank with 100 octane). It seems the car still runs strong despite the high IAT. The other turbo cars were running similar IAT's in the staging lane. With a tune and some minor mods i think i can flirt with 11's.

Like you stated, the intercooler circuit does not appear to be connected to the coolant reservoir. It seems to be filled from the radiator cap looking fill port at the back of the engine near the bleeder valves on the intercoolers. I filled it a bit and it seemed to cool down to 110 at speed and 170 when idling.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Thanks. When the car is idling the pump is normally shut down by the ECU.It starts again when you drive and step on the gas again.