Thread: Before and after dynograph showing the difference between a custom and canned tune - Brentuning dyno tuned W211 E55 AMG M113K

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)

Before and after dynograph showing the difference between a custom and canned tune - Brentuning dyno tuned W211 E55 AMG M113K

The graph you are looking at shows the difference between a canned tune and a custom dyno tune. Brentuning did the custom dyno tune here on a W211 E55 with the supercharged 5.5 liter M113K V8 motor and produced torque gains throughout the entire curve. A canned tune is essentially a one size fits all tune. It will make more power than the factory tune but it is basically the same code for everyone meaning if you have different parts than the tune was designed for you are not getting the power or torque that you could be.

A custom dyno tune is capable of taking in the variables for your particular car. Think of it is a custom tailored suit versus a store bought suit. You also pay a different price for custom tuning. That said, a canned tune can be adjusted as well depending on the quality of the tuner that produced it so while the gains shown here are accurate the tuner who produced the tune to begin with could also likely get similar gains or even more with time on the dyno. Regardless, customizing a tune should always result in a better tune for your particular car.

Click here to enlarge

2. #ADS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Enrg Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks
    For?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    This is my car im trying to post a long reply about what went down with my car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I tried to edit the "thanks" post but it was too long between the edit and original post that it wouldn't let me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)

This is my car im trying to post a long reply about what went down with my car.
    Ok, it would have been helpful for you to introduce yourself that way.

Please feel free to add your details on what went down. Now I'm rather curious.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Thank you for the post Sticky, this is a graph of my car. i bought the car fully bolted minus headers with Eurocharged ECU/TCU tunes. I bought it after only driving it for about 10 minutes and it felt great as it was. The throttle was a little snappy, but I figured that was just how the car acted from what I have read on MBWorld. After buying the car and driving for about 30 miles, i decided to get on it full tilt to see what it could do......I was stuck to the seat, smile from ear to ear, but as I looked in the rear-view mirror to watch all the cars behind me get smaller, I noticed a decent sized cloud of black smoke left behind the car. So i continued to try small bursts, thinking that it may need a few stabs to clear up since the previous owner hadn't driven the car in months. This did not clear it up and continued to send black smoke out of the exhaust, which means that the tune was super rich-not a huge deal, I continued to drive back home (400 miles).

When I got back home, I decided to take my car to BrenTuning and put it on their Mustang Dyno to check hp/tq and AF's (the previous owner never had the car dyno'd). i do not believe in ever having a car tuned without a dyno, it just doesn't add up to me. Anyway, we found that the car was indeed running pretty rich. So Bren went to the drawing board with Jeremy from OE Tuning and they made a great tune for my car utilizing all of my mods (X-pipe, AFE filters, FTP Heat Exchanger, EuroCharged 172mm S/C pulley, ASP idler pulleys, 82mm Throttle body and a belt wrap kit). After their tune, the car made a ridiculous jump as you can see above in Sticky's post, 474/535 to 515/570 without headers!! This happened to be in 3rd gear which what I have read is the wrong gear for these cars but I am not worried too much about the actual numbers but more of the gain over delta. Now the EuroCharged tune felt good when i first got the car, but after the OE Tune, the car felt like an entirely new monster. Every dynamic of the drive-ability changed, the throttle felt more linear, it acted like a benz should be-nice and smooth. The power delivery comes in much better (less instantaneous snap) which is better for the drive line IMO, pulls much harder up top and it idles better during cold start and normal operating temperatures. Like I said, the car felt awesome before, but it definitely feels much more refined and beastly now after the dyno tunes. To be honest. I don't think a car will perform to its absolute potential after being modded without being on a dyno. Thanks again to Bren @BrenTuning and Jeremy @OE Tuning.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)

Thank you for the post Sticky, this is a graph of my car. i bought the car fully bolted minus headers with Eurocharged ECU/TCU tunes. I bought it after only driving it for about 10 minutes and it felt great as it was. The throttle was a little snappy, but I figured that was just how the car acted from what I have read on MBWorld. After buying the car and driving for about 30 miles, i decided to get on it full tilt to see what it could do......I was stuck to the seat, smile from ear to ear, but as I looked in the rear-view mirror to watch all the cars behind me get smaller, I noticed a decent sized cloud of black smoke left behind the car. So i continued to try small bursts, thinking that it may need a few stabs to clear up since the previous owner hadn't driven the car in months. This did not clear it up and continued to send black smoke out of the exhaust, which means that the tune was super rich-not a huge deal, I continued to drive back home (400 miles).

When I got back home, I decided to take my car to BrenTuning and put it on their Mustang Dyno to check hp/tq and AF's (the previous owner never had the car dyno'd). i do not believe in ever having a car tuned without a dyno, it just doesn't add up to me. Anyway, we found that the car was indeed running pretty rich. So Bren went to the drawing board with Jeremy from OE Tuning and they made a great tune for my car utilizing all of my mods (X-pipe, AFE filters, FTP Heat Exchanger, EuroCharged 172mm S/C pulley, ASP idler pulleys, 82mm Throttle body and a belt wrap kit). After their tune, the car made a ridiculous jump as you can see above in Sticky's post, 474/535 to 515/570 without headers!! This happened to be in 3rd gear which what I have read is the wrong gear for these cars but I am not worried too much about the actual numbers but more of the gain over delta. Now the EuroCharged tune felt good when i first got the car, but after the OE Tune, the car felt like an entirely new monster. Every dynamic of the drive-ability changed, the throttle felt more linear, it acted like a benz should be-nice and smooth. The power delivery comes in much better (less instantaneous snap) which is better for the drive line IMO, pulls much harder up top and it idles better during cold start and normal operating temperatures. Like I said, the car felt awesome before, but it definitely feels much more refined and beastly now after the dyno tunes. To be honest. I don't think a car will perform to its absolute potential after being modded without being on a dyno. Thanks again to Bren @BrenTuning and Jeremy @OE Tuning.
    Good stuff and your experience is appreciated.

This definitely highlights an important difference between a canned and custom dyno tune.

Looks like you got what you paid for and it's good to see you are happy with the car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Absolutely thanks for taking notice!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)

Absolutely thanks for taking notice!!
    It was difficult not to as the results showed a large change.

That said, I also would like to hear @Jake@Eurocharged.com comment on this. Their tune running too rich makes me think they expected higher boost with the file they sent you.

Did you talk to Eurocharged at all?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

shoot me a vin...fat af usually tells me wasn't retuned for mods

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jake@Eurocharged.com Click here to enlarge
    shoot me a vin...fat af usually tells me wasn't retuned for mods
    That's what I'm thinking.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    That's what I'm thinking.
    or car was hot as #$%^ and dumped fuel.

We don't command that A/F on any tune, its pretty rich
    Eurocharged Performance
    Tuner of the WORLDS FASTEST E55 - 10.46 @ 134.42
    Tuner of the WORLDS FASTEST C32 - 12.33 @ 115.08

Locations in Houston - Chicago - Boston - DC- Toronto - Hong Kong - South Africa
    Over 30 other dealer locations around the word

Sales@eurocharged.com

Over 7000 customers strong!

Proud tuning partners of Underground Racing!

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    WOW!, I recently posted a thread on another forum inquiring about the same thing "custom VS canned tune, WHICH IS BEST?", it never got nearly as much traction or data behind it as it did here, but WOW!, I'm glad I came here, I had recently exchanged emails with Jerry/EC and I had a long phone call with Jeremy/OE about custom tuning for my M113k, both have been great to deal with, but I have to say, getting Jeremy/OE on the phone for an hour discussing the benefits of a custom tune was priceless, I also exchanged emails with Jerry about doing remote custom tuning, still deciding which will be the best route, in my case, and after reading ENRG's post, I'm definitively leaning towards OE's personalized service.

With that said, EC has done my TCU and gave a tune for my CLS, they run a good business down there and based on my experience, I would recommend them in a heartbeat.

Bottomline, custom tune will ALWAYS be better for your car, but until seeing that graph, I didn't realize just HOW MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE it makes!, specially if you are running massive mods.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kelvin07 Click here to enlarge
    Bottomline, custom tune will ALWAYS be better for your car, but until seeing that graph, I didn't realize just HOW MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE it makes!, specially if you are running massive mods.
    agreed, but that graph is showing me that something else was off. I never received a vin to make sure but I am willing to bet the car was tuned and then changed mods without a retune. There is no way we would command that kind of A/F. (boost change or car was dumping fuel from heat etc)
    Eurocharged Performance
    Tuner of the WORLDS FASTEST E55 - 10.46 @ 134.42
    Tuner of the WORLDS FASTEST C32 - 12.33 @ 115.08

Locations in Houston - Chicago - Boston - DC- Toronto - Hong Kong - South Africa
    Over 30 other dealer locations around the word

Sales@eurocharged.com

Over 7000 customers strong!

Proud tuning partners of Underground Racing!

Click here to enlarge