Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 111
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,263
    Rep Points
    1,417.7
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    I just need someone local so I can sue them if they put a back door or for intellectual property rights reasons.
    gotta protect your own interests first!
    boop

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,726
    Rep Points
    2,462.7
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    25


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    gotta protect your own interests first!
    Well its moreso the users that need protecting. Running a 100% cold storage however, this is something that other exchanges do. If you want to be confident in your funds being there tomorrow, its the best way. I also have another way, but it requires trading the wallet.dat files and having the exchange add complex password encryption. The problem here is it makes it a pain to trade as you can only trade exact amounts with another person. Not to mention it adds a couple steps, but it prevents the exchange from ever having the money and potentially side step the money service business laws.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,263
    Rep Points
    1,417.7
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    Well its moreso the users that need protecting. Running a 100% cold storage however, this is something that other exchanges do. If you want to be confident in your funds being there tomorrow, its the best way. I also have another way, but it requires trading the wallet.dat files and having the exchange add complex password encryption. The problem here is it makes it a pain to trade as you can only trade exact amounts with another person. Not to mention it adds a couple steps, but it prevents the exchange from ever having the money and potentially side step the money service business laws.
    don't the other exchanges just run the MAJORITY of their coins cold?

    so they have enough to serve general day to day orders, but if you want to withdraw a few k BTC, it's a special order?

    I'm pretty sure they're moving away from that though.. again, no limits, low fees, speed, that's where it has to go.. or how is it more convenient than regular banking/paypal etc.?
    boop

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,726
    Rep Points
    2,462.7
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    25


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    don't the other exchanges just run the MAJORITY of their coins cold?

    so they have enough to serve general day to day orders, but if you want to withdraw a few k BTC, it's a special order?

    I'm pretty sure they're moving away from that though.. again, no limits, low fees, speed, that's where it has to go.. or how is it more convenient than regular banking/paypal etc.?
    Most places keep a hot and cold wallet. The truth is, the biggest exchanges will have hot wallets with tough security, being hacked only seldom. So users are satisfied while being hacked every once in a while as opposed to being partly satisfied being hacked never. How satisfied are you really?
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,263
    Rep Points
    1,417.7
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    Most places keep a hot and cold wallet. The truth is, the biggest exchanges will have hot wallets with tough security, being hacked only seldom. So users are satisfied while being hacked every once in a while as opposed to being partly satisfied being hacked never. How satisfied are you really?
    honestly... not satisfied with my crypto being anywhere other than my own personal wallet.

    I don't want my funds online if i can't have easy access to ALL of them (ie, pure cold storage for bulk), and i don't want them online if it's readily accessible, yet unsafe.

    i will temporarily put them online for trading purposes, but that's it.

    So for me, yeah, speed>all.. get it on, trade it, get it off.
    boop

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,218
    Rep Points
    31,317.0
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Why not just do a paper wallet if you are concerned about being hacked?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,263
    Rep Points
    1,417.7
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why not just do a paper wallet if you are concerned about being hacked?
    yep, pretty much the safest idea as long as you can keep the paper wallet nice and safe Click here to enlarge

    personally i just run good personal protection, and have my digital walllet on multiple HDD's, PC's etc.

    once i have a few BTC total (shouldn't be long) i'll look at something more permanently secured.
    boop

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,218
    Rep Points
    31,317.0
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    yep, pretty much the safest idea as long as you can keep the paper wallet nice and safe
    Safety deposit box...
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,263
    Rep Points
    1,417.7
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Safety deposit box...
    yep. especially if you have a solid sum of BTC you weren't planning on spending any time soon.
    boop

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,263
    Rep Points
    1,417.7
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15



    Reputation: Yes | No
    1 week in on the clevermining multipool, they've just fixed the rejected hashes issue as far as i'm happy with (but a closer server soon), and if it keeps up, i'm calling this bitcoin mining experiment a definite success (Y), over .1BTC/day now!

    my power draw is through the roof though... from the wall, 1 rig is drawing 820+855w, 1675W total (about 249W per graphics card on the supply side) which costs almost $9/day to run Click here to enlarge.. still, almost 3x that in profit at the current terrible exchange rate, i can live with lol.

    my first rack kinda sucks (works fine, but is inconvenient lol.), but my second one is awesome, i'll be able to finish it once i get the last 45cm bit of aluminium. Will post pics of it tomorrow night ^_^.
    boop

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,218
    Rep Points
    31,317.0
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    1 week in on the clevermining multipool, they've just fixed the rejected hashes issue as far as i'm happy with (but a closer server soon), and if it keeps up, i'm calling this bitcoin mining experiment a definite success (Y), over .1BTC/day now!

    my power draw is through the roof though... from the wall, 1 rig is drawing 820+855w, 1675W total (about 249W per graphics card on the supply side) which costs almost $9/day to run Click here to enlarge.. still, almost 3x that in profit at the current terrible exchange rate, i can live with lol.

    my first rack kinda sucks (works fine, but is inconvenient lol.), but my second one is awesome, i'll be able to finish it once i get the last 45cm bit of aluminium. Will post pics of it tomorrow night ^_^.
    Your mom.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,263
    Rep Points
    1,417.7
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Your mom.
    Is a wonderful lady.
    boop

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,218
    Rep Points
    31,317.0
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    Is a wonderful lady.
    That's what I was going to say.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,726
    Rep Points
    2,462.7
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    25


    Reputation: Yes | No
    In bed.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,218
    Rep Points
    31,317.0
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314


    Reputation: Yes | No
    This forum is sophisticated.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,263
    Rep Points
    1,417.7
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This forum is sophisticated.
    why indeed good sir *tips fedora*

    finished building, populated and turned on rack 2... discovered one of my cards wasn't properly modded either, so fixed that easily!.. much better, all around 80 degrees now Click here to enlarge.. not the best cooled cards, but within spec... need to get a power meter on them to check if they're not chewing too much though. whoops. tomorrow haha.

    Click here to enlarge
    boop

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,584
    Rep Points
    2,017.3
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Reputation: Yes | No
    It's my birthday today. Please send me all your Doge: DRycyNu7544kwzPo2iL3gzu9LguoNMBFzo

    Click here to enlarge

    In all seriousness, I am serious. Send me some money.

    I have 3 cards running - and have 4 more on the way. All 280xs - currently mining whatever is profitable. Kinda just doing it for fun - but depending on when my cards come, we will see. I got all the cards at price, so didn't pay crazy amounts of money. We shall see.
    @Flinchy - nice setup (got a link to the build? I need something better - however that temp is a little warm... You undervolting?). Here is mine (it's a milk crate) - both of these puppies are overclocked, but also undervolted - and run at a constant 66 degrees celsius (which is LOW). I get about 1400 kh/s from these two cards alone: Click here to enlarge

    I need a kill-a-watt to test it, but would estimate the hashrate/dollar is pretty good. 1130ish mV - which am surprised is stable, but it is.

    I like p2p Pools, but sometimes hitting that difficulty is well difficult - so it's been a 24 hour dry spell, but will probably hit 10kish today. We will see. When I get my 4 more cards, will go at it more.

    Remember, it's my birthday and I want some coins. You can think of it like a economic game - where I promise not to tumble them, and you can track my spending habits on the blockchain. Win-win, right?? Click here to enlarge

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,584
    Rep Points
    2,017.3
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Reputation: Yes | No
    @Flinchy - I forgot to say in my previous post. Throw a few fans on top (see my "setup") - those 250mm fans push some serious flow and make no noise. I have my fans on the GPU spinning at 60% - almost no noise.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,263
    Rep Points
    1,417.7
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge

    I have 3 cards running - and have 4 more on the way. All 280xs - currently mining whatever is profitable. Kinda just doing it for fun - but depending on when my cards come, we will see. I got all the cards at price, so didn't pay crazy amounts of money. We shall see.
    @Flinchy - nice setup (got a link to the build? I need something better - however that temp is a little warm... You undervolting?). Here is mine (it's a milk crate) - both of these puppies are overclocked, but also undervolted - and run at a constant 66 degrees celsius (which is LOW). I get about 1400 kh/s from these two cards alone: Click here to enlarge

    I need a kill-a-watt to test it, but would estimate the hashrate/dollar is pretty good. 1130ish mV - which am surprised is stable, but it is.

    I like p2p Pools, but sometimes hitting that difficulty is well difficult - so it's been a 24 hour dry spell, but will probably hit 10kish today. We will see. When I get my 4 more cards, will go at it more.

    Remember, it's my birthday and I want some coins. You can think of it like a economic game - where I promise not to tumble them, and you can track my spending habits on the blockchain. Win-win, right?? Click here to enlarge
    Right now i'm happy on clevermining, reasonable returns, and it's easy, just send to blockchain.info wallet, then to cryptsy then to doge and trade back and forth haha

    nah, no links to a build thread, wasn't super technical... rack made out of connect-it, asrock pro-BTC mobo, 2x2gb RAM, G1820 CPU, 2x ST85F-GS PSU's, 6x USB risers.. one rig running 6x powercolor 280x, the other running 6x sapphire dual x.. STILL haven't bothered settingup rig 3, i have to disassemble them tonight, to chase a bad smell (nfi what it is, could be the pedestal fans running hot... some sorta glue.. who knows) and reflash all the sapphires...

    yes the powercolor's are all at 1035/1500 @ 1.1V with the 2 large pedestal fans blowing on them... ambient temps would be (outside) high 2x celcius, maybe low 3x.. inside, because the house is closed up, high 3x celcius at least lol... they're all running fine at 720kh/s though.

    the sapphires are 730kh (but 2 seem to crash to 4xx after a while, have to troubleshoot) and pull a bit under 250W each... they run at 1.15V though, with a TON of vdroop down to almost 1.0 under load.

    i haven't played with a p2pool yet, is it going alright?

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    @Flinchy - I forgot to say in my previous post. Throw a few fans on top (see my "setup") - those 250mm fans push some serious flow and make no noise. I have my fans on the GPU spinning at 60% - almost no noise.
    what are your ambient temps like? it's winter for you now right?

    my 40cm pedestal fans should be at something like 1000-1500cfm each haha
    boop

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,218
    Rep Points
    31,317.0
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314


    Reputation: Yes | No
    People seriously want Dogecoins?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,263
    Rep Points
    1,417.7
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    People seriously want Dogecoins?
    ... yes. i have about 600k now haha

    they'll hopefully hold their niche as legitimately the 'internet currency'.. fairly small (but reasonable) value, used primarily for tipping.
    boop

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    242
    Rep Points
    621.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    This is a great thread, I've read and re-read it but the tech speak was something I couldn't quite wrap my head around...nor the overall Bitcoin "mining concept." Found this little 2 minute video and it's given me a much better understanding of some of the things you guys have been talking about. So, for anyone lost like I was, give this video a look. I'd still like to know what these complex mathematical equations are that your computers are solving...obviously it's not something in an algebra or calculus book.


  23. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,584
    Rep Points
    2,017.3
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    i haven't played with a p2pool yet, is it going alright?
    what are your ambient temps like? it's winter for you now right?
    I like the p2pool, however there are a lot of rejected shares, and your effective hashrate will drop because of this. However, because everyone else's does also - it all averages out. Your share is less, but so is everyone else's - so the proportion of work doesn't change. With those 2 cards - and a 7970 (basically a 280x), I get about 5-10k DOGE a day - depending on my luck. They have proxy pools now - and that helps ensure that the payout variance is less (in other words, you get paid less more often) - and am giving it a try to see if it averages out (or is less/more). Point is, I found that you will make MUCH more money mining in a p2pool instead of a global pool - but again, this induces luck in the equation. With your setup, I would almost guarantee it. The luck is due to that fact that if the current difficulty for DOGE is say 1024 - the pool will set a difficulty of say 3072; so, unless you can mine a share that is above that difficulty, you will not get a payout. Again though - for your setup, I doubt you will have any problems at all.

    Yeah, good point on the fans - they are probably flowing much more air than what I have. I just am happy with the temperature of those 270xs - but they aren't really comparable in power draw to a 280x - I have a hard time keeping the 7970's temperature under control - even if undervolted. It's a pain.

    Good luck mining - +.1BTC a day is no joke

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,584
    Rep Points
    2,017.3
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    People seriously want Dogecoins?
    Oh yeah, for sure - it's not that I want them - it's more that they are one of the most profitable (and the profitability is stable) alt-coins out there right now. It's a pain to switch from pool to pool as the difficulties change or the profitability changes, so DOGE is a very good one to mine.

    The price of DOGE has went up decently, and stays relatively consistent: https://www.cryptsy.com/markets/view/132

    Hopefully it goes to the moon as they say, but right now - like Flinchy said, the idea is to mine them and then convert to another coin (or fiat currency).

    Will DOGE be taking seriously over the next year/month? I have no idea - and that's a concern, but right now it's one of the ones to mine if you are going to do it. Mintcoin is another good one - it's all supply vs. demand vs. current hashrate/difficulty - but it's also common sense (don't take all the coins seriously - especially if they are brand new).

    There is a good website that shows the profitability of a given coin for a given hashrate, I will dig it up.

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,584
    Rep Points
    2,017.3
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •