Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

on if he could deliver things to me on time.. he must have been drunk....

but thats no excuse. homes, women, horses, pretty much everything was won/lost back in the day when dudes were gambling drunk.. only difference is then i could pull out the pistol and solve the problem on the spot Click here to enlarge

your call on car, its really about funds.. i think e46 looks better, but i think e36 has more potential besides hpf

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    it will be 2015 by the time his, or I should say MY, M3 is back up and running, so he would probably start over on a new m3 again...
    I'm sick of M3's.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    Guys I need some opinions. I'm having trouble deciding which direction I should go in, E36 or e46.

E46 Pros:
    -Dashing good looks
    -S54
    -Won't require as much work to turbo aside from tuning
    -Future of BMW turbo builds just starting

E46 Cons:
    -Price of car
    -Price of parts
    -Price of maintenaince
    -Tuning Complications
    -Weight

E36 Pros:
    -Cheap in all regards
    -Light
    -Engine limits known
    -Toquez (just ofr MilkT lol)
    -More tuning options

E36 Cons:
    -Looks dated
    -I will have to pull the head off ( I don't know why but this idea scares me)
    -Will have to upgrade clutch (not a big deal, but even the playing field price wise versus building e46)

Honestly I'm leaning towards e46. The only things scaring me are:
    -Blowing up an S54 since I will be the one tuning
    -Being the first civilian in the U.S. to put together a S54 turbo (not much info to be helped with)
    -Having to ask my parents for a small loan if I come up a little short (they've had it with my car expenditures)

Sar far from what I've caluculated building both cars with quality parts is going to about the same. Typing this out is good, I think just kind of answered my own question. I would still like to hear the your guys' opinions.
    E46, no contest.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    E46, no contest.
    X2

the e36 is a bit dated, and e46 is just gorgeous in every aspect.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I'm sick of M3's.
    time for a z06 bro
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    time for a z06 bro
    Perhaps it is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

What do you guys think about higher mileage S54's? Like in the 100k range

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

What do you guys think about higher mileage S54's? Like in the 100k range
    My friend bought one with 140k for 10 grand and it runs like a champ! If you're doing that, i would consider building the engine to be on the safer side if you're going to boost it. or you can low boost and hope nothing happens.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

My friend bought one with 140k for 10 grand and it runs like a champ! If you're doing that, i would consider building the engine to be on the safer side if you're going to boost it. or you can low boost and hope nothing happens.
    That's good to hear. I'm going to go try and take a look at this over the weekend http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb Just waiting for the guy to email me back.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

That's good to hear. I'm going to go try and take a look at this over the weekend http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb Just waiting for the guy to email me back.
    are you sure you want to drop that kind of money for a car thats 11 years old, esp with all those mods? When you check it out, check out passenger door, it looks like it got into an accident from the pictures. i have a keen jew eye Click here to enlarge and i'm more than 80% sure its been adjusted or hit there. look at the difference between the driver door and shotty

and it says somehting the views for the car are 1700, that means at least 10 ppl have checked it out and it has been there for a while. another thing is his mileage picture is at 93k he states 98k so its been for sale for a while.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

are you sure you want to drop that kind of money for a car thats 11 years old, esp with all those mods? When you check it out, check out passenger door, it looks like it got into an accident from the pictures. i have a keen jew eye Click here to enlarge and i'm more than 80% sure its been adjusted or hit there. look at the difference between the driver door and shotty

and it says somehting the views for the car are 1700, that means at least 10 ppl have checked it out and it has been there for a while. another thing is his mileage picture is at 93k he states 98k so its been for sale for a while.
    Good eye. If he ever emails me back I'll be sure to investigate that area thoroughly. Also checking out an 03.5 M3 with 80k on the clock today or tomorrow. It belongs to a friend of a friend and I've been told it can be had really cheap as the guy is in financial trouble.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Good eye. If he ever emails me back I'll be sure to investigate that area thoroughly. Also checking out an 03.5 M3 with 80k on the clock today or tomorrow. It belongs to a friend of a friend and I've been told it can be had really cheap as the guy is in financial trouble.
    I would stick to the e46, how much for that one?
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

I would stick to the e46, how much for that one?
    16.5K. It needs some work. I took it for a ride and it felt solid for the most part, but it definitely needs some work. It needs a new rear view mirror, rear brakes, and the A pillar and C pillars are drooping. I also suspect subframe issues. I'm meeting up with him again Friday to check it out during the day and going to get under it and inspect. If I can get this car really cheap I'll probably take it as long as there aren't any subframe issues.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

16.5K. It needs some work. I took it for a ride and it felt solid for the most part, but it definitely needs some work. It needs a new rear view mirror, rear brakes, and the A pillar and C pillars are drooping. I also suspect subframe issues. I'm meeting up with him again Friday to check it out during the day and going to get under it and inspect. If I can get this car really cheap I'll probably take it as long as there aren't any subframe issues.
    ask for 14k at most if thats the case. but yea get it checked out first.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

e46 for sure!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

yes e46

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

ask for 14k at most if thats the case. but yea get it checked out first.
    I wouldn't even offer that much. The car needs some tlc, and has been in an accident. With that said, I think it would make a good project car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Ok, so I went and test the the e36 M3 and fell in love. Just the way those cars drive and feel remind me of what BMW once was. I really liked the car, but there were two areas of concern.

1) It burns a little oil. I'm not talking clouds of blue smoke, just a little puff when revved.

2) It grinds gears. Before you say 'No way, run away' I think I know why it does. The owner installed a UUC Clutch stop. I have a feeling the clutch stop is not adjusted properly. There seems to be only 3in of clutch travel which seems way to short to me. I think it might be just on the threshold of disengaging and not disengaging the clutch.

What do you guys think? I might go back tomorrow with a buddy of mine and get his opinion as well since he has more experience with this stuff than I do.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

X2

the e36 is a bit dated, and e46 is just gorgeous in every aspect.
    Unlike most cars, BMW's do not get dated, if kept clean condition

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BigM62 Click here to enlarge
    Unlike most cars, BMW's do not get dated, if kept clean condition
    Exactly. This car I'm looking at very clean too. The only issue is the back interior panel needs to be re-glued, but that is normal with e36's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

ya know.. i know i pretty nice 07 E92 just came up for sale Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    ya know.. i know i pretty nice 07 E92 just came up for sale Click here to enlarge
    I was actually kind of considering it lol If it was a manual, you didn't smoke, and had 30,000 miles less I would be all over it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

lol i know i know... Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Well I guys, I still have yet to find a car. I've about given up looking for a decent e46 M3 or e36 M3 that isn't A) priced absurdly for it year and/or mileage B) In acceptable condition.

What I'm looking at now is:

B5 A4 1.8T: I can make 500+whp for 5k (doing all the work myself, including building the engine), but I'm worried about how daily a car like that will be. IT would be pretty laggy, and reliability could be questionable.

E90 335i: Found one locally. SGM on Terra 6mt. Warranty expires in November. N54 reliability cares the hell out of me. I feel like it is hit or miss with finding a reliable one. Being a college student, This doesn't sound like the best investment.

2011 Mustang 5.0: Probably the reasonable idea yet. Problems, I'm about $2,000 short of buying one cash ($4000 short not including there incentives) and my parents are totally against American cars. If I finance, I won't put all my money, but payments should be around $250/month for 36 months. This car being N/A will be the most reliable, better for track use, and cheaper to maintain. I might being able to convince my parents to loan me 2k but it is a long shot. My best bet is work on my dad first since he is partially to the 5.0 since he had a built 5.0 fox body when he was my age. My mom will be the difficult one.

What do you guys think? Any other cars I should look at. I'm trying stay under $30K.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Mustang.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast