Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Does it ever end? :Rant:

As some of you know I do a lot of research. 99% of my internet time, is spent researching anything and everything. Typically common issues, recalls, new cars, dyno sheets and new technology. I do a lot of research on everything. Afterall it's the internet and it's all free, so why not use my free time to read.

Here's my issues and where my rant begins. As some know, my transmission is broken in my E46 M3. Completely my fault as I treat the car as if it's a track day car. However, with just the S54 I can easily make a list of items that either A) will fail or B) make you so afraid that it's going to fail, you spend countless hours researching fixes, faults, and common symptoms. Between the Vanos hubs, Vanos itself, rod bearings, smg/manual transmission, subframe, rear springs, bushing failures, and before you realize it, you're already looking at $8k to repair these items. So, let's assume your Vanos hubs fail, engine fails, you're $#@!ed. You're on the hook for a new engine and if you're one of the lucky ones, you can rebuild your engine or just fix the failed hub and play the lottery when you're done.

This isn't just the S54. This is every manufacturer. Ford's 5.0 was having issues with a #8 cylinder, the MT82 is a garbage transmission and can't handle a good beating, GM's C6 Corvettes are suffering from oiling issues on and off the track but a simple yet expensive dry sump kit fixes this unless you have a Z51 package and ticked the box for the dry sump setup or just bought the Z06, but then you're having issues with dropping valves, the Audi 4.2's are prone to carbon buildup resulting in a very expensive rebuild only to have to rebuild the engine again, N54 has all sorts of issues, the 911's 996 and after up until 2009 have IMS issues, 2nd gear issues, the 996TT with it's expensive 2nd gear pop out issues, Nissan's VQ35 having all sorts of issues regarding oil consumption and transmission issues, luckily I had the latter and it was under warranty, if you can afford it the F430 has exhaust manifold issues that are extremely expensive, but then again name a Ferrari that doesn't have some sort of crazy issues, 458's randomly catching fire, Gallardo's that randomly catch fire, oh and the engine out service costs, bringing the costs back down and focusing on more affordable cars once again, M6's are dropping in price, but still Vanos issues, SMG issues, and those prices are not cheap for anyone regardless of your income, GTR's initial transmission woes, but I do believe the 12's are still having some issues. Buy an older Gen 2 Viper? Power steering leaks that cause fires. That's very very common but a simple fix.

Putting all of this into perspective, this $#@! is ridiculous. You cannot purchase a car these days unless it's something rather boring that offers zero excitement. The great cars, the most fun, the most enthusiastic cars require our every ounce of knowledge to keep them afloat. To me, this is the kind of fun part, but at the sametime, I know I dread the day my engine explodes due to a Vanos failure or another transmission decides it's time to pack up and skip town. I don't know. I'm just frustrated with cars these days.

Don't even get me started on motorcycles. I could go on and on about those issues but I won't bore anyone else. End rant and thanks for reading.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Whenever I have similar feelings towards my cars,I check the following:

-Would I rather have something boring an soulless that only transports me from A to B(these "things" I do not call cars,more a condition with wheels and engine)?

-Would something normal put a smile on my face driving it or even only looking at it?

Bottom line is,whatever you buy or own regarding cars that is somehow entertaining/thrilling,non-uniform main stream,you will always have to be prepared to invest blood,sweat,tears and money in it...

But almost all of these "toys" make you also very quick forget the issues they have/cause once you have them sorted and enjoy them for what they are..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As some know, my transmission is broken in my E46 M3. Completely my fault as I treat the car as if it's a track day car. However, with just the S54 I can easily make a list of items that either A) will fail or B) make you so afraid that it's going to fail

I bought an E46 M3 and sold it almost immediately because I got a strange feeling it was going to sit in a garage being repaired a lot

Had an M6 which I hated... really hated the fat ass wobbly tank... great power in a str8 line

Have a boring old 540i which I love... just love it

have had track cars... an Esprit TT etc etc... many were great, many were $$ pits
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    StinkyM - i had a really boring family wagon 1990's Subaru in Australia on my farm........... it had 325,000 miles on it on the same engine..... nuttin ever went wrong with that old heap... used to get driven Perth to Sandstone every few days....... puttered along forever

I am thinking about just leasing my next car and adding a simple tune and some simple bolt ons..... return it in 3 years when I have thrashed the living bejesus out of it .... I have never leased b4

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Try building a high horsepower S65 and get back me to. When you see how cheap manufacturers are getting on parts to save a buck...

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Try building a high horsepower S65 and get back me to. When you see how cheap manufacturers are getting on parts to save a buck...

You are a pioneer in the S65 game and it is also your business... but everyone is getting CHEAP to cut costs to make a profit... stuff we used to sell for $20 a pop in the 1000's and cost $8 to make is now $12 to make and they ONLY want it for $12 a pop... reality in USA today

BTW - S65 and all = Isn't it the pioneers who end up with arrows in their back and sometimes they end up owning all the land west of the Rio Grande !

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A few reliable fun cars come to mind (in order)
    tt Supra
    IS-F
    NSX (
    C6 ZO6
    2G CTSV
    CaymanS

I drive my E46M3 like I stole it daily. If it breaks, I will not be surprised - haha. There is no 1 perfect car, they all offer different experiences. I'm totally digging the S54 right now, despite a 60k VANOS hub failure...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

All high performance toys require higher than normal maintenance and unfortunately high cost....but I think it's really just the price you pay. It's pretty much accepted, just like how everyone here knows they will never get their money back for mods. It's a expensive hobby....but I wouldn't have it any other way.

You can minimize the headaches if you buy a daily driver and use your toy only on the weekends. That's what I do...but I do miss driving the m more Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    While you're at it @StinkyM can you say more about Audis please ?? Click here to enlarge

I'm in the market.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    AMG M156 .... / Thread

But for real dont get a 08-09 because they have the headbolt issue that can have your cylinders full of coolant :-/ other then that they are pretty rock solid dont hear many problems

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ezec63 Click here to enlarge
    AMG M156 .... / Thread
    This isn't accurate. That motor isn't perfect either. Nothing is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This isn't accurate. That motor isn't perfect either. Nothing is.
    Did you not read the rest of my post ?!? Thats why i pointed out the previous head bolt issue i agree no motor is perfect. It is a pretty solid motor all around tho and I've had no issues with mine and i beat the tits off it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ezec63 Click here to enlarge
    Did you not read the rest of my post ?!? Thats why i pointed out the previous head bolt issue i agree no motor is perfect. It is a pretty solid motor all around tho and I've had no issues with mine and i beat the tits off it
    Maybe I didn't it was late and I was sipping on some whiskey. Yes, that's a good point everything has some kind of issue and will require a degree of maintenance.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
    StinkyM - i had a really boring family wagon 1990's Subaru in Australia on my farm........... it had 325,000 miles on it on the same engine..... nuttin ever went wrong with that old heap... used to get driven Perth to Sandstone every few days....... puttered along forever

I am thinking about just leasing my next car and adding a simple tune and some simple bolt ons..... return it in 3 years when I have thrashed the living bejesus out of it .... I have never leased b4
    My daily drivers have always lasted a long time... Isn't it odd? But perhaps its because we don't hot rod them the same way...
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 2300+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/
    Or the BX8 Enthusiast Group!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/353105035077862/
    Cars: 2005 E46 330i - Sold | 2007 E90 335i - Crashed | 2009 E93 335i - Current | 1996 E36 328i Sedan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Thats right...how often do you redline your DD? Lol

I just picked up a 2014 Ford Fusion ecoboost 4 cylinder DD....I love it. The my ford touch screen is sick and it gets 36 mpg...and it has a Aston Martin looking grill heh
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    how often do you redline your DD? Lol
    Daily.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I just picked up an Audi A4. Thing is mint for a 2002, loving that turbo spool. Quattro is the $#@!!

I think I have a new favorite car brand as I report that the A4 is a much better car in the snow than the bimmer I had. I never had interest in Audi but the more I look at the models they offer, man. I'm impressed. A8, aluminum frame and body, will never rust, are you kidding me? Perfect winter car IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wildride Click here to enlarge
    I just picked up an Audi A4. Thing is mint for a 2002, loving that turbo spool. Quattro is the $#@!!

I think I have a new favorite car brand as I report that the A4 is a much better car in the snow than the bimmer I had. I never had interest in Audi but the more I look at the models they offer, man. I'm impressed. A8, aluminum frame and body, will never rust, are you kidding me? Perfect winter car IMO.
    Just be vigilant with engine maintenance.if it's the 2.0, depending on how many miles you're going to want to do some carbon cleaning.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Is this a new username @Wildride? What was it previously?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is this a new username @Wildride? What was it previously?
    Alex325i. I thought you remembered I asked you to change it Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
    Just be vigilant with engine maintenance.if it's the 2.0, depending on how many miles you're going to want to do some carbon cleaning.
    It's the 1.8 T. Why does the carbon build up? @StinkyM mentions it in his post too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's the 1.8 T. Why does the carbon build up? @StinkyM mentions it in his post too.
    It's the direct injection. Audi has been having issues for years with direct injection. So far the best system is Toyota in the frs that I have seen. It uses a fuel injector but it's placement cleans as it sprays. I believe that's how it works, but if I am wrong correct me. I do know for sure it's the best system out there.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

I agree with this. I love the new s4.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If it's the 1.8T there are plenty of other precautionary maintenance you may want to do, depending on miles.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Alex325i. I thought you remembered I asked you to change it Click here to enlarge
    I get a ton of requests. I forgot what I changed it from.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast