Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

My 8000 Mile 6 week Journey + Bad Luck with Cars of Late - PART ONE

I have had some real BAD luck (ironically since I joined Bimmerboost) with cars of late

My 540i was pummeled in a car park while my missus and I were in the hampton bays movie theatre watching "Gravity"........ some illegal alien asshat in a Ford pick up decided to swipe the front of my car which resulted in the front bumper assemblies, mounts etc being obliterated..... eventually this was all fixed up by Otis Ford here in Quogue, NY.

Then, 2 days later I was clobbered in my M6 in another car park by an illegal alien doing a hit run..... mother effer hit me at about 45 mph (in a car park)..... smashed up my feet and already broken hands pretty badly and wrote off my M6 (which I was in the process of selling as I had agreed a price with a guy but 2 days before)...... The asshat who hit me this time took off and still has not been caught by the Heat !

Before that I had just bought a very low mileage 2006 E46 M3 (10/05 build) that I was going to take to MaxPSI to turbo but after doing comp tests etc, and working out the price to redo bearings and get some VAC treatment I worked out it would be a $25k build and rebuild project just to get it all done properly so I sold that car the week before my 2 accidents... so I was down to no cars in early Nov after having 3 in late Oct

I then took off in a rental car (VW Golf piece of crap) to go to New Orleans and Texas with my dog on some business......

In the meantime I had my 540i fixed up by Otis Ford out here and then drove back south and did about 8000 miles in the last 6 weeks... just got back to NY 2 nights ago. My 540i looks almost new again except for one small pebble scratch and some wobbling under brakes from 50 mph down to 20 mph (probably need new engine mounts and another alignment, brakes etc)

We got back just in time for the Blizard

Click here to enlarge

On my trip we saw pretty much every bit of the USA southeast.. some magnificent countryside, some wonderful people, food, drink and fun and I also met some of the biggest gutter urchin trashy folks I have met anywhere in the world (in New Orleans)... and having been all over and lived all over the world in 25+ major cities and areas, that is some statement.

Trip 1 - New York to New Orleans (VW rental) - My dog and I took off down the US 95 and stopped overnight at the Borgata in Atlantic City where I played a little poker and actually won for a change..... of note are the roads between NY (terrible $#@!house roads including the LIE, the roads in and around NYC and the Staten Island expressways etc) versus the relatively perfect NJ roads around the GSP and US 95 south.

We took off on day 2 via Philly (fun town) and instead of doing the smart thing and heading west to get the 81 South I continued on the 95 via Baltimore and then god-awful Washington DC where I thought I would take the outer loop and ended up in a 100 mile 5 hour traffic nightmare. I have never liked DC and never will... the traffic and ridonkulous spaghetti loops of the 295, 495 and BWI make for a piss poor time all the time. The roads from DC down into VA are crap... really bumpy for the most part especially the 85 and then as soon as you hit NC it is all perfect again.

We ended up back on the 95 South via Richmond VA (the 'hood), then looped down the 85 South and ended up in Greensboro NC for the night. I would usually go all the way to NOLA in a day (all 1400 miles) but the rental VW was such an uncomfortable piece of crap that I could go but 500-600 miles in a shot. Then to make matters even better the front of the VW (being the bumper and assembly) fell off........... I was on the grass in mud with my tools screwing the thing on as best I could and instead of doing the smart thing and returning this car to the local Budget rent a car I thought I would persevere to NOLA. I really love North Carolina and have criss crossed the state many times.... beautiful woods, pretty girls and very friendly folks in general. In and around Burlington and Greensboro though it is just fast food restaurant or "chain" restaurant after one another. For the most part, the traffic on the 85 is excellent and one can sit on 80 mph in the 70 zones and low 70s in the 65 mph zones with no chance of being pulled up by the police.

We saw many Moostangs on the road as soon as we hit the Mason Dixon... obviously the car of choice for the southern lads and lassies Click here to enlarge

The next day we headed off on the 40/ 85 South via Atlanta... another piss poor city to drive around + through but as a Braves fan it was a must to just see the old TED, the home of my fave

Click here to enlarge

From the ATL we headed across towards Birmingham AL, to mind the politest city on earth (well where people are polite)..... I recall being mugged at GUN point 10 years ago outside a steak place by a young brother who asked, "Please sir may I have your money", my response as the gun was pointed right at my heart was, "Mate, you've got the gun you can have whatever you want"........ remembering said event we continued through the former murder capital of the south on the 20 towards the 59 and out to Tuscaloosa AL, where at dinner in an Applebee's (or was it a Chillis) some young lady in her mid 30's wearing Crimson Tide gear was kind enough to let me know that AL was the greatest place on earth and that A was the best football team in the world. I politely informed her of teams like Barcelona and MANU that may have some argument over her thoughts...... Once again the front of my car came off so we bedded down in a crappy Red Roof Inn for the night as I refixed said broken bumper again.

Day 3 we saw some very fast cars... a brand new F10 M5 passed me like I was standing still... I was going about 83 at the time in a 70 zone so he must have been doing over 110 mph. We also saw a few impromptu drag races between Moostangs and those god ugly Camaros. We headed down the pristine 20 Highway which becomes the US 59 and headed into Mississippi and all the pretty greenery..... stopped off in Hattiesburg for some chow and then got to New Orleans that day. I rented a house on Dauphine St in the French Quarter. We dropped off my stuff and then headed off to the excellent dive bar Deja Vu...... the next day I signed a deal (the reason for my travel) and then spent the next few days in a constant state of drunkenness either playing poker at the Harrahs (great dealers, many nice people and 3 of the biggest pieces of human excrement I have met anywhere on earth) or hanging out at irwin mayfields, Deja Vu, Yo Mama's and the excellent spots on Frenchmen St (3 Muses etc).

Day 7 we hopped into our rental car with my reinforced tightly screwed down bumper etc and took off back to NY, having accomplished mission 1..... which was signing a deal to manage some loot for a rich southern family and 2 renting a house for a few months.

We headed back to NY almost the same way except this time we took the Hwy 59 North all the way to Chattanooga, up to Knoxville (had to see where Peyton went to college) and then detoured to the very pretty Asheville area of North Carolina.... magnificent areas in and around the Smoky Mountains etc... we kept driving until I hit Chapel Hill NC... another very nice little town where we pulled up stumps for the day.......... The next day we headed back to the 85 and the 95 hitting Quogue NY the next night late.

All the while, we would stop every 60 minutes or so to play Frisbee with my border collie, Tuxedo... we must have seen over the last 10 years, every single rest stop between NY-Las Vegas-Chicago and the deep south.... Tux likes 'em all !

We hung out in Quogue with the crappy rental car for a few more days as my old 540i was repaired and then we headed on our 8000 mile 6 week journey repeating part of Trip 1 and adding in parts of Texas and then after leaving NOLA we headed to Florida and criss crossed the entire state north of Miami, ending up at my Aunts houses in Ft Lauderdale for Christmas.
    Last edited by Group.america; 01-03-2014 at 02:15 PM. Reason: typos
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

My 8000 Mile 6 week Journey in a 1999 MW 540i - PART DEUX

More to come

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    With my old 540i repaired and in almost immaculate (exterior) condition again we headed off back towards the deep south... this time leaving Quogue early in the morning and going a different route - choosing to head across the Bronx and the GW Bridge hitting the Hwy 76 out towards Allentown (one of my favorite Billy Joel album cuts)

We headed down the relatively bad 76 and hit the 81 South.... probably a mistake as it is only a 2 lane highway most of the way all the way down to almost Knoxville TN and the asshat truck drivers CUT YOU off to overtake even slower trucks... it makes driving more stressful.... a lot more dangerous and MUCH slower.... but we were so glad to be back in my beaut old E39..... this thing cruises at 75 mph and around 2300 rpm and makes such a nice sound if you plant it WOT... oh for the roar of the old NA V8s !

Also, put the old thing on cruise control and sink into those sumptuous leather seats.... kind of like driving whilst sitting on your favourite living room arm chair.... we drove for a few hours to get out of the NY/NJ traffic and stopped for our 1st Frisbee of the trip in Harrisburg, a nice little PA town with a great diner called "American Dream Diner"... superb service and nice coffee and eggs etc.

We headed onto the 81 South and ended up in West Virginia.... a magnificent place for scenery and the scene of several of the weirdest moments of my life (on several different trips)............. in 2005 on a drive back from Las Vegas to NY we headed via Nashville up into KY and then WV.... I got off the highway and headed for gas, stopping about 1 mile off the main highway in that part of WV. I asked the gas attendant how to get back onto the highway and he looked at me as if I were an Alien asking if I could eat his wife... weirdest dude I have met in my days... he ended up telling me where I could go for some good drugs (presumably Meth)..... but for the life of him he either did not understand my accent or had no idea what a highway was.......... anyway, this trip we zoomed on down through those pretty mountains around Harrisonburg WV etc and managed to escape those parts with our lives in tact !

This day we made it to Knoxville TN and overnighted at a Quality Inn and Suites (one of the nicer chain hotels for low budget driving tours of USA)......... we even found a Hooters with a particularly delicious young lass from the local TN university... on a scale of 1 to 100 I would give their wings at this spot a 55 and the aforementioned hottie a 93/100.
    Last edited by Group.america; 01-03-2014 at 02:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
    I recall being mugged at GUN point 10 years ago outside a steak place by a young brother who asked, "Please sir may I have your money", my response as the gun was pointed right at my heart was, "Mate, you've got the gun you can have whatever you want"........
    He actually said please may I have your money? Really?

Merging your threads.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sorry... will continue writing next week

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    From Knoxville we took a detour down off the US75/140 South to see the Fort Loudon National Park ... this is off the US 129 and a few miles (20 or so) from Knoxville... beautiful park especially if you head deep into it via the 129 then head south west on the US74 towards a town called Murphy... we had brekky here and played some Frisbee in the woods... even saw a rather fat racoon raiding a local diner's garbage bin..

From Murphy we headed back west to the north a little towards "Cleveland TN" and then onto the 75 and into Chattanooga and then the US59 south through some pretty country all the way to Tuscaloosa AL for a late lunch... some nice BBQ ribs in the SC style... vinegar based and not drowning in sauce... beaut stuff...

From here we took the same route back to NOLA the US 59/20 via Hattiesburg MS (Brett Favre country) and into the US 10 and back to New Orleans

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    After settling back into the abnormal life that is life in the French Quarter of New Orleans, I decided to go up market and try out many of the higher ranked NOLA eateries including GW Fins (excellent 88/100), Emerils (disappointing 37/100), Galatoires (Good 70/100), Cochon (Brilliant 85/100), Stellas (overpriced, overly self important, okay 55/100) and the best overall food at Herbsaint (90/100)..

see http://www.herbsaint.com/wp-content/...Menu-Jan14.pdf

Herbsaint does this really cool rabbit dish as a small plate and perhaps the best Pork Belly I have had anywhere as a main... in all I had 4 small plates and a main because the food was so good and my standard pudding, where I tried small bits of 3 excellent sweets... after a bottle of Chablis and a few snifters of other stuff, with tip my bill came to $212... which is crazy for one person... but my dog did like the leftovers from the "dog-bag"...... You could have 3 small plates and a glass of vino and get out of here for $70.

Overall, New Orleans is a great place to VISIT.... living here for any amount of time it is BAD, dirty, smelly, weird, very dangerous and perhaps the most small minded yet arrogant people I have met on earth. Indeed rating it against the other 30 places around the world I have lived would leave it a rather lowly 27th... just ahead of 3rd world $#@! holes in Honduras, Mali and the godawful Tunis... anyway more of that later......

In November we decided (well I decided because the dog doesn't care where we go) to head over to CAJUN country and the nice little town of Lafayette..... this is an easy drive via Baton Rouge along the Highway 10 West.... here you see how most of LA is really under water... swamps everywhere.... water everywhere. Here I encountered some really nice people and perhaps the most stupid, ignorant yet ARROGANT woman on earth.... I was in a little diner when she came up to me after hearing my accent (name tag in place - Eugenie)... asking if I was Irish (nope Australian love)... I then ask her if her Mum is a fan of the Royal Family... she looked at me strangely... I said, "You're named after the Royal Princess, Eugenie"......... "No", she says... "hers is spelled differently"... well actually it is spelled the same but this young nunce decided I was wrong and that the Princess was spelled Eugenia..... anyway, long story short, this young lady proceeded to tell me she was 100% French... okay, so I think she would speak a little and I rattled off some basic Francaise to which I was met with stony silence. So, I asked her if she was born in France... no, were her parents born in France no..... had she been to France... no.. okay, "So you are American", I said..... no, "I am French"..... see arrogant, ignorant, unfriendly.. that was my lasting image of Lafayette... a town of people who may have been French 300 years back but who still consider themselves French with zero knowledge of the real France.... this is like me saying I am English/Irish/Swedish as I am a 2nd generation Aussie... anyway... I did go to a BRILLIANT restaurant here

http://www.johnsonsboucaniere.com/our-menu.html

Excellent BBQ and Boudin

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Lafayette is good for about 1 hour.. so we went onwards towards Houston.. I have never been this way along the HWY 10 or to this SE part of the GREAT state of Texas.....

Wow, Houston is huge and kind of ugly like most huge cities... we bypassed downtown and headed onwards to Austin... taking the 71 Highway turn off outside the Attwater Chicken refuge (that's what it is called)..... we saw virtually no cars for 20 minutes so I floored the old V8 WOT and got her up to about 135 mph when my senses saved me..... slowing down to 75 just within a mile of state trooper radar trap..... very silly of me as a foreigner on a visa to do this as it would be an instant problem in this part of the states... possibly a felony and deportation someone told me.............

I did get passed by an Aventador along here and we stopped at the same gas station as the owner of the Lambo... a really hot 50 something blonde sheila from Dallas... she had been to Houston for business and had taken her car to be tuned there... raising it's horses from around 700 crank to she claimed 850 ... woo hoo... I got to sit in the car and this nice lass took me for a quick around the block spin.... awesome machine... scary power, but the car is HUGE..... wide and HUGE

Attachment 35815

This is not a pic of said blonde but these 2 would have looked great in said Lambo as well

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    BTW here is Princess Eugenie now... a bit of a looker

Attachment 35816

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have previously driven all over the other parts of Texas.... a lot of the "outback" here is like my native South Australia.... dusty, scrubby and dry... boring flat country.... I was pleased around Austin to see some curves (hills).....

We stopped for 2 nights in Austin and I ate and drank and listened to music and met some really nice YOUNG folks...... I am a fossil at 48... but if I were 28 I would head here for some of the nicest pxxxy I have seen in the old lower 48..... honey bunnies everywhere and so polite and friendly.... anyway of all the bars I hit up I liked one call Dirty Dog the best https://dirtydogbar.com/Home_Page.html

The best food I had here was some of the street food... a couple of nice college girls took me for some excellent grub at http://jalopyaustin.com/?page_id=6

Click here to enlarge

Overall.......... I love AUSTIN... having lived in Las Vegas, NY, parts of FL and NOLA, this town captures everything that is GREAT about this best country on earth

1. Brilliant music
    2. Brilliant food
    3. Smart, eloquent, nice folks
    4. People with great manners
    5. Normal very hot women
    6. Great weather
    7. Art and culture
    8. Sports
    9. Outdoors living

I think of all the cities I have visited in USA, this would rate with Charleston SC, San Diego and Sag Harbour NY as a fave

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    BTW here is Princess Eugenie now... a bit of a looker

Attachment 35816
    Attachment isn't working.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge
    I would like to be sandwiched in between them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Seems like a fun trip. Hi 5 sucks about the cars. You should've kept the m3. I've having the rod bearings done on my car tomorrow.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    Seems like a fun trip. Hi 5 sucks about the cars. You should've kept the m3. I've having the rod bearings done on my car tomorrow.

Yeah, I was thinking after winter of going back to look at E46 M3's or a later year E92 M3 but I really want to see what the new M4 can do.... plenty of time to think about it anyway while I work on the missus about buying a McLaren (she thinks I am a little boy with toys)

I think god wants me to keep my old E39 because every other car I have have owned worth anything here in USA has been either stolen and totalled or totalled by some asshat

Hope your new beast is going well...

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    From Austin, we headed up and on to Fort Worth (Dallas)...............

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, I was thinking after winter of going back to look at E46 M3's or a later year E92 M3 but I really want to see what the new M4 can do.... plenty of time to think about it anyway while I work on the missus about buying a McLaren (she thinks I am a little boy with toys)

I think god wants me to keep my old E39 because every other car I have have owned worth anything here in USA has been either stolen and totalled or totalled by some asshat

Hope your new beast is going well...
    I hear ya. No M4

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge