Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

New car choices: focus st, ms3, impreza wrx

What do you guys think about these cars? Im test driving and trading my 07 335i this weekend... If theirs any other options you guys think compete with these 3 in terms of space, modability, or overall fun factor let me know.

So far im leaning towards the focus st. Cobb makes quite a nice selection of parts for it and the reviews ive seen people seem to love it. Let me know of cons or pros or anything else i should test.
    08 328i, totaled by women driver
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

I have driven the Focus ST with a cobb flash done by some other company thats up the power a good bit over the OTS maps for a few hours total and really liked it. Its a co workers car and hes cool with letting me take it out to grab food, etc...

Only other mod he did was upgrade the motor mount that ford later recalled due to prtetty bad wheel hop... its FWD but handles and feels pretty good/balanced and not too much tq steer.. The ford navi/sync is cool, seats are awesome but not for anyone with a wider frame or overweight.

But you will be down a ton of power and may miss it. It feels really peppy down low after his tune and is a fun car to drive. Feels pretty solid for sure but I would explore more options before going for a fwd tuner platform. BRZ with turbo kit is nice but Id never drive one without the turbo kit. A used STI, or evo 9 or 10 IMO are more in-line with your car now. Also 5.0 mustangs can be had cheap and offer a lot per $ spent. Used s4 or even a4 with a tune is comparable in speed/drivability as well at GTI's... all 4 cyl turbos will be similar in power now-a-days...

Id def take the ST over the ms3 though and over the standard WRX. Also look into 370z or g37s Sedan for another RWD car with good power.

His focus feels quicker than it is but if you are looking for a fun car that gets good gas mileage that unique i like the ST.
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I don't want to be a downer but just don't like any of those choices.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

I would rock a wrx over any of the other choices.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Why the downgrade? I would honestly just stick with the bimmer, easily better than the list, and quicker. I do like the newer STI's though, would definitely consider those, just not the hatch. Hatchbacks are...well...not sporty. lol STI, EVO, 5.0 mustang, Camaro are some other non-premium brand suggestions, obvious, but for a reason. I'd honestly do the STI, just drive one and you'll see why, they are a lot of fun. Focus ST sucks cause it's FWD, Mazda 3 speed sucks cause it's...well a Mazda and SLOW. can't even think about subaru unless it's an STI. True, the BRZ is cool with a turbo kit, but I dunno only 4-cylinders I'd even think about besides the CLA45AMG are the EVO and STI.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I'd get the Focus ST and throw on the CPE Atmosphere turbo kit when its ready. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I don't want to be a downer but just don't like any of those choices.
    This.

All you listed are a downgrade imo.

Why are you going for these?
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E91 Stockish and slow AF

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

a bit biased, but i'd suggest test driving a GTI. PLENTY of mods out for them, the TSI is pretty reliable with normal maintenance.

not to mention their fit and finish (especially on the Autobahn editions) are going to be much closer to par of a BMW than a ford, mazda or Subaru.

however, out of the box it'll be the slowest of the 3 listed in the title. a downpipe, intake and a Stage 2 tune really transforms the car though. Not to mention the dual clutch is pretty sweet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Ive had the 335i forr just about 3 years and its a lot of car for daily commuting, in fact more then i need. I want a 6mt as well and getting another one is out of the question it just to expensive for me right now (18 years old). It needs a lot of work as well, new suspension, trans is slowly dieing, as well as the interior pieces are rattling falling apart. I just want a new car i wont have to worry about as much thats fun to drive.
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Think the ST wins it for me! Gonna drive it and see how it is along with what else I listed. Dont worry guys ill still stay active on the forums Click here to enlarge
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mikolo-n54 Click here to enlarge
    Think the ST wins it for me! Gonna drive it and see how it is along with what else I listed. Dont worry guys ill still stay active on the forums Click here to enlarge
    It's perfectly fine you can post on fordboost or have you forgotten I plan to rule the world?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's perfectly fine you can post on fordboost or have you forgotten I plan to rule the world?
    Haha awesome. Ill make sure to post some nice in depth review after a month of owning or breaking in i plan on adding all the cobb goodies. Theirs a cpe kit coming for it??? That sounds like fun to me!
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

well...if your are going to give it up I would say the wrx then.
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E91 Stockish and slow AF

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    well...if your are going to give it up I would say the wrx then.
    I'll see how the wrx is, but I really don't like the interior and seats compared to the ST. How much can I get a new WRX Impreza for?? I know I can get the ST for 25-26 fully loaded.. Its gotta be a nice plush/comfort ride for everyday, I hear subies have a lot of NVH... This true?
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

My buddy has a FBO ST. beautiful car. Dynod 328hp recently. He's about to pick up a turbo kit. They're pretty fuel limited past 360hp right now because of DI. Pretty awesome little car. I hate FWD though. Sti is gonna be the funnest to drive. Boxer engine sounds awesome too. They max out around 400-450hp on stock motor though. Ms3 has been out a while now and has tons of parts for it. I've seen one smoke a GTR from a roll. I don't like their interiors though. And again FWD
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    My buddy has a FBO ST. beautiful car. Dynod 328hp recently. He's about to pick up a turbo kit. They're pretty fuel limited past 360hp right now because of DI. Pretty awesome little car. I hate FWD though. Sti is gonna be the funnest to drive. Boxer engine sounds awesome too. They max out around 400-450hp on stock motor though. Ms3 has been out a while now and has tons of parts for it. I've seen one smoke a GTR from a roll. I don't like their interiors though. And again FWD
    Nice thats more power from that chassis then I would ever need.. being a DD I don't think fwd will bother me that much.
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

One day I will get another n54, and I will do it right.. single turbo and all! If not the newer m3 when I got bank! My commute between school and work is just to much to have back breaking torque machine. Def want 6mt tho Click here to enlarge this will be my first 6mt car as well! I am very excite
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I haven't driven focus ST or MS3, but with any FWD car there is plenty of torque steer and not so much fun as RWD or AWD. I would stick with WRX and maybe even STi, although the later one might be priced a lot more. Also, did you check out the 2015 WRX as if I was getting one I might take a look a that one (might have to wait for that). Last, if you see any snow WRX hands down.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Why not get a used 5.0? It will run circles around all those cars including the majority of N54 cars in a straight or track, and it sounds amazing, is fun to drive, and is comfortable with the right options. You can get a low mileage one in the low 20's. I also think they look much better than any of those cars and have the potential for an easy 1000whp+.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    Why not get a used 5.0? It will run circles around all those cars including the majority of N54 cars in a straight or track, and it sounds amazing, is fun to drive, and is comfortable with the right options. You can get a low mileage one in the low 20's. I also think they look much better than any of those cars and have the potential for an easy 1000whp+.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdlgfe6UWtI
    I want something brand new, and I just don't like mustangs...
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mikolo-n54 Click here to enlarge
    I want something brand new, and I just don't like mustangs...
    I would say fix the issues with the 335i and you'd be happier with the handling and performance of your car.
    But it sounds like you already made up your mind you want a new ride, so non of our advices will stick Click here to enlarge
    Which is ok. They are your dollars after all.
    My choice between the cars you chose would be the Subaru if you really want a new one, and want to drive a manual. (Americans and manuals Click here to enlarge I still remember this was reversed with Europeans)

Go and have fun with the ST then Click here to enlarge
    I hope you enjoy it to bits.
    Last edited by DavidV; 12-11-2013 at 04:20 AM.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Am I correct in thinking that you guys did not get the 2.5 Turbo ST in the states?
    Click here to enlarge
    335i ~ JB4 ~ BMS ~ DCI ~ Active Autowerks CP & BOV ~ Borla Catback Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sparky68 Click here to enlarge
    Am I correct in thinking that you guys did not get the 2.5 Turbo ST in the states?
    Wasn't that a limited edition?
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

No we had them here ST1 ST2 and ST3, different trim levels but all with the 5 cylinder 2.5 turbo charged Volvo engine.
    The engine was the old T5 lump that the Police ran in the 850R Volvo and T5R Police cars. It was detuned for the focus ST but a remap got it straight back to 300bhp.
    Click here to enlarge
    335i ~ JB4 ~ BMS ~ DCI ~ Active Autowerks CP & BOV ~ Borla Catback Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Well I got the ST!! In tuxedo black. I absolutely love it!!! Just gotta get used to that 6spd as its my first manual. Car is incredibly easy to drive and has many great features I wish I had on the e90. The recaro seats are incredible as well. Thing packs a punch when standing on the throttle!
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast