Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Gaming PC Opinions Needed

I need to upgrade my PC. With all these new games coming out I need to be able to max them out on a 1080p screen with no less than 60fps. I need your opinions on what path to take.

Current specs:
    Corsair 850W PSU
    8GB RAM
    Sandy Bridge i7-2600k @ 4.0 Ghz
    NVIDIA 560Ti SLI 1GB VRAM each (About equal to a 580 in performance. Ran BF3 on Ultra very nicely.)
    $#@!ty CPU water cooler
    Win7 64 Ultimate
    128GB SSD
    Gigabyte Mobo (Forget exact model)

I'm looking at the 290X AMD and the 780Ti NVIDIA for graphics cards. Which would you choose? These are the most powerful GPU's from both manufactures with the AMD card being cheaper.

I'm considering the H100 CPU cooler because the one I have now is loud and is not cutting it for me. Thoughts?

Lastly, I think I am in a pretty good position regarding the CPU, but I can and will upgrade it if need be. Thoughts on this?

Thank you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why the hell is nobody commenting on this?
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd be all up in this as a pc'er. But have limited knowledge, as I mostly let someone else do this for me. I'll ask someone for you and get back to you.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The only thing you need to upgrade in your computer is the video card. 1080p resolution isn't very demanding on most video cards and a lot of the video games will render different results as far as getting your desired 60fps. The 2 new cards you listed are overkill for 1080p, they wont even break a sweat, it's like driving around in a car with 1000whp but it being governed to 100 mph. In these benchmarks the tester doesn't use anything less than a 1440 resolution and pretty much all the cards listed in the benchmark can push the games well over 60fps, on a 1080p monitor it's completely worthless to have that powerful of a card.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7492/t...80-ti-review/7

You have a 2600k that cpu will last you till Intel releases it's Broadwell and Skylake processors, with the latter one being released in 2015....possibly. And even right now those chips don't look very enticing since the objective of them seem to be less voltage usage and integrated video, not something a pc enthusiast looks too since they look into buying their own dedicated video card. AMD has a window here, and I would definitely like them to take advantage of it.

In the last few years we've seen the release of Sandy Bridge, which is what you have and what I currently rock, Ivy Bridge didn't give us any reason to upgrade in terms of gaming. Haswell is the current gen of CPU's and these showed that they do not overclock as well as Ivy Bridge and certainly the average gain in 2 fps in games over it's predecessors isn't worth upgrading the motherboard and cpu. You might as well give me the cash and let me kick you in the balls that's how much sense that makes.

Keep what you have and upgrade the video card, go with the new AMD or I would go with a GTX 780, that will be enough to blow through most of the video games out there even the ones that aren't optimized. I would also look into pushing that chip you got to over 4.5ghz or more, it should definitely have more in it. Just get a decent cooler if you're pushing air and not doing water cooling. My i2500k is currently running at 4.5ghz:

Click here to enlarge

If you're interested in pushing your CPU further in terms of OC then may I suggest this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835608018

I would also be wary of buying reference cards from AMD and Nvidia which will be the current launch cards for both the 290X and 780Ti. I got the 7970 reference card on release which was Feb 2012 and it only lasted me till September when it decided to just cease working. I'd rather wait a bit before the manufacturer irons out the possible issues that they missed early on.

My current video card is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127746 and I run a resolution of 1920x1200 which is the next step above the 1920x1080 which is what you have. The games I play rarely dip below 60 frames, but then again a lot of it does depend on how the developer optimizes the game at that point it doesn't matter which or how many video cards your rig has, a $#@!ty game will run like $#@! on any pc.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the bump @Sticky .

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
    The only thing you need to upgrade in your computer is the video card. 1080p resolution isn't very demanding on most video cards and a lot of the video games will render different results as far as getting your desired 60fps. The 2 new cards you listed are overkill for 1080p, they wont even break a sweat, it's like driving around in a car with 1000whp but it being governed to 100 mph. In these benchmarks the tester doesn't use anything less than a 1440 resolution and pretty much all the cards listed in the benchmark can push the games well over 60fps, on a 1080p monitor it's completely worthless to have that powerful of a card.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7492/t...80-ti-review/7

You have a 2600k that cpu will last you till Intel releases it's Broadwell and Skylake processors, with the latter one being released in 2015....possibly. And even right now those chips don't look very enticing since the objective of them seem to be less voltage usage and integrated video, not something a pc enthusiast looks too since they look into buying their own dedicated video card. AMD has a window here, and I would definitely like them to take advantage of it.

In the last few years we've seen the release of Sandy Bridge, which is what you have and what I currently rock, Ivy Bridge didn't give us any reason to upgrade in terms of gaming. Haswell is the current gen of CPU's and these showed that they do not overclock as well as Ivy Bridge and certainly the average gain in 2 fps in games over it's predecessors isn't worth upgrading the motherboard and cpu. You might as well give me the cash and let me kick you in the balls that's how much sense that makes.

Keep what you have and upgrade the video card, go with the new AMD or I would go with a GTX 780, that will be enough to blow through most of the video games out there even the ones that aren't optimized. I would also look into pushing that chip you got to over 4.5ghz or more, it should definitely have more in it. Just get a decent cooler if you're pushing air and not doing water cooling. My i2500k is currently running at 4.5ghz:

Click here to enlarge

If you're interested in pushing your CPU further in terms of OC then may I suggest this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835608018

I would also be wary of buying reference cards from AMD and Nvidia which will be the current launch cards for both the 290X and 780Ti. I got the 7970 reference card on release which was Feb 2012 and it only lasted me till September when it decided to just cease working. I'd rather wait a bit before the manufacturer irons out the possible issues that they missed early on.

My current video card is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127746 and I run a resolution of 1920x1200 which is the next step above the 1920x1080 which is what you have. The games I play rarely dip below 60 frames, but then again a lot of it does depend on how the developer optimizes the game at that point it doesn't matter which or how many video cards your rig has, a $#@!ty game will run like $#@! on any pc.
    Wow! Exactly what I needed to know, thank you. I haven't been keeping up and needed a refresher. Couple follow up questions/comments:

-I understand that those cards are overkill for my resolution, but my thought process was that it would "future proof" me for a few years, so I don't need to constantly swap out cards just to maintain decent frames. Is this a good move?
    -I would keep my 560ti SLI setup because the raw power is there for my resolution, but the problem is in the VRAM. I hit my limit early on so these need to go.
    -I've been very happy with my CPU thus far. Sounds like we are in a good position on that front.
    -Is that cooler you linked a better choice than an all-in-one liquid cooler such as the H100?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Processor: I'd definitely keep the Sandy Bridge. I've built a lot of gaming rigs and the Sandy Bridge is my favorite. There's no need to upgrade until Skylake. What the Sandy Bridge chip gives up to Ivy and Haswell, it more than makes up for in overclocking potential. 4.0 is conservative for Sandy even on air. If you want to spend some money, pick up a good water cooler and clock the 2600K to 4.6-4.8 easily.

As for the GPU, if you have the money I'd get the 780ti. The 290x is great but hits that thermal ceiling too fast and throttles down a lot. Fanboism aside, the 780ti is the fastest single GPU you can buy for gaming. It should easily hold you over on 1080p at 60fps. The 290x could also be a great candidate with an aftermarket water block or a non-reference design from MSI, Asus, EVGA, etc but it's too early to roll the dice on that IMO.

Upgrade to Windows 8.1 and run it on your SSD for noticeable improvement in boot speeds and OS performance. It's decently faster than Windows 7. And while I don't like Metro, you get used to it and with 8.1 you can boot straight to desktop.

P.S. If money is an issue then your current water cooler should be fine for getting the 2600K to 4.4-4.6 easy. Your only issue might be running out of VRAM at 1080p in some newer titles so any 2GB+ card like a 770 or a 7970/R9-280 should do fine. Obviously get the 780ti or R9-290X if you can afford it. I run 2 770's in SLI and I have yet to bump into the 2GB limit (remember VRAM does not stack in SLI) even in BF4.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why the hell is nobody commenting on this?
    I missed the thread..

Good advice has already been given here, so just to add some thoughts:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    -I understand that those cards are overkill for my resolution, but my thought process was that it would "future proof" me for a few years, so I don't need to constantly swap out cards just to maintain decent frames. Is this a good move?
    Always buy a graphic card you can afford, never one to future proof your PC.
    It does not work like that I'm afraid.
    You can spend $1000,- on video cards which will be outdated in 2 years time to a mediocre gaming card, due to games like Crysis, Battlezone and such.
    If your current screen setup does not exceed 1080p buy a graphic card that will accommodate your setup.
    Monitors typically last for 5 to 8 years so if you're not upgrading them it is a waste of money to buy a higher end graphic card now.
    Graphic cards devalue very fast when a new generation of GPU's comes knocking.

Overclocking your CPU can be done, but you need to know what you're doing there to keep your system stable.
    Upping clockcycle also stresses other components in the chain, your RAM will be the first to buckle so when you start overclocking these will probably need to be replaces unless you already spend the right dollars there..
    Some motherboards are better in it than others, although Gigabyte normally cope quite well. Be sure to install the last available BIOS flash before you start.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works