Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I compete in powerlifting, both equipped and raw, although I haven't done any equipped lifting in a long time. I have also done the "strength sports" division of the APA, which I'd hardly call strongman but they do have a strict overhead press as one of the events.

I pretty much have already accomplished what were my long term goals and am now slowly dropping weight while keeping a basic strength high enough so that I don't get depressed, haha. Compete for long enough and your idea of "strong" changes quite a lot. I may compete again at a lighter body weight but at the moment it doesn't appeal to me very much. I competed in the 275 lb weight class.

Powerlifting and strongman are wonderful sports. The community is extremely positive (in person, on line is still filled with idiots). It's a great experience, and much like taking your car to the track, it's all talk until you do it in a competition. I think anyone seriously interested in strength should do at least one competition, just for the experience.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I get it but my legs are actually quite nice. I guess my routine is based more about fat loss than adding muscle.

OOORLY? pics please
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
    OOORLY? pics please
    I officially present the gayest moment in the history of this board:

Click here to enlarge

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Wtf. Do you also shave your legs?
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No why would I shave them? It's not like swimming where that's worth a tenth of a second.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I heard DCT owners drive with their left foot out the window. Anything to reduce drag, right?
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Usually it's without pants to save weight.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Usually it's without pants to save weight.
    But then why would you wear anything? Every gram counts lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

You don't do any cardio?
    I count doing more than 5 reps as cardio Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    But then why would you wear anything? Every gram counts lol.
    You make a good point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SCGT Click here to enlarge
    I compete in powerlifting, both equipped and raw, although I haven't done any equipped lifting in a long time. I have also done the "strength sports" division of the APA, which I'd hardly call strongman but they do have a strict overhead press as one of the events.

I pretty much have already accomplished what were my long term goals and am now slowly dropping weight while keeping a basic strength high enough so that I don't get depressed, haha. Compete for long enough and your idea of "strong" changes quite a lot. I may compete again at a lighter body weight but at the moment it doesn't appeal to me very much. I competed in the 275 lb weight class.

Powerlifting and strongman are wonderful sports. The community is extremely positive (in person, on line is still filled with idiots). It's a great experience, and much like taking your car to the track, it's all talk until you do it in a competition. I think anyone seriously interested in strength should do at least one competition, just for the experience.
    I'm sure ou hit some impressive numbers in the 275's. Were you single ply or multiply? I agree, the community is great and very supportive.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nugs Click here to enlarge
    I count doing more than 5 reps as cardio Click here to enlarge
    I agree lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Justin@BoostAddictions Click here to enlarge
    I'm sure ou hit some impressive numbers in the 275's. Were you single ply or multiply? I agree, the community is great and very supportive.
    Never did a lot of lower body training equipped -the only equipped full meet I did was my first, 2004 I think, where I think I squatted 501.5 and deadlifted 47x. My best equipped bench was 650.3 in the AAPF, double ply back in late 2005 or so, I was using a double denim bench shirt. I cracked my forearm attempting a 705 bench in 2006 and decided that I liked raw lifting better.

Raw, my best competition numbers were a 500 raw bench done in the IPA in late 2010, a 600 deadlift done in the APA in 2007 right before I ruptured a couple of discs, lol. In the APA Strength Sports I believe i still hold their Strict Overhead Press record at 350 in the 275 weight class.

I'm just a walking injury now, tore my quad about 9 months ago and am finally back in the mid 4's squatting. Deadlift mid/upper 5's even with the disc issues. Bench press wise, I've been training with no partners, so no liftoff or spot (but in a cage for safety -the pins are set ~2" below my chest in case I tear something or miss a rep I'll get squished but not injured) I recently did 405 for 3 reps. Mid 4's probably do-able. Probably still good for low 300's strict standing overhead.

I'm on my way back down though. Just trying to have fun and get exercise in while work is crazy. It's a fun sport. If I can help shoot me a line. You're familiar with elitefts I saw, I am friends with Vincent Dizenzo and very good friends with Matt Rhodes.
    Last edited by SCGT; 11-14-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I officially present the gayest moment in the history of this board:

Click here to enlarge
    AAAAAHHHHH, I'm blind, LOL

You call that a leg my friend?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    haha oh boy...let the leg pics commence.

sorry not showing mine lol.

Since other crossfitters hi-jacked it, I will as well...Ive spent a lot of time on the weekends and 1-2 days a week working on Oly Lifts and such. Cleans are my favorite, still working on my technique a bit but my power cleans and hang cleans have gotten better in the last 2-3 months. I remember trying at 135 and almost putting my back out...now im up at 185 and I just have to learn to trust my legs more in getting under the bar. Squat cleans are always fun as well. Clean and Jerks Im still getting accustomed to the foot position and learning not to 'tightrope' myself.

Snatches, well thats a different story lol...stuck down at 75lbs for some odd reason lately, I think I picked up a bad habit somewhere. My 1RM is 120lbs, considering I havent really practiced it at all (almost hyper extended my elbows and it had me scared to try it again for a bit) Id say its not so bad. Train train train....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If I can help shoot me a line.
    I appreciate that. I do have a question about OHP training. I've been stuck at a body weight strict OHP for awhile now. With a log I can clean and press a bit more, but the barbell gives me trouble. How do you train your OHP? I have very long limbs. I've been trying to add some arm mass, since I know lock out is usually more difficult for me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I wrote an article about this a long time ago. It depends on many variables. The first glaring issue for a lot of guys is concurrently training the overhead press with the bench press. I'm not going to say that it can't be done -it can, I have, but I found heavy overhead work severely detracted from my bench press progress and vice versa. Staggering the intensity of these lifts depending on your goals will be essential.

As the overhead press is nothing more than an assistance movement for a powerlifter, I assume for you the bench press is nothing more than an assistance movement. Hence why most pro strongmen have lower bench presses compared to a powerlifter but far superior overhead presses.

Unless you're doing an accumulation phase (block periodization) I would not concurrently train both heavy. Simply put, don't forget that you're bench pressing to make your upper body stronger, and to make your overhead press stronger -so you don't really care about benching for the sake of benching.

Below is an old, not updated version of what i wrote when I wanted shoulder work but my focus was benching, you should consider pretty much doing the opposite of what I wrote here:
    Quite a few guys have emailed and PM'd me about bringing up shoulder strength to help the bench. Thank you. A lot of these ideas are modifications of what I have learned from Vincent Dizenzo, and were bounced off Matt Rhodes, but trial and error is also a huge part of it.

A couple of years ago when pondering my lack of a raw bench, I found that my shoulder strength was severely lacking. My speed has always been pretty good so I dropped speed work and incorporated direct shoulder work. As good intentioned as my move was, the first thing that happened is that my raw bench dropped about 30lbs. Not the results I was looking for. Frustrated, I tried to lower the volume on my direct shoulder work day keeping the intensity moderate to high and it seemed to help a little on the bench front, but still not the results I was looking for. I tried stopping the shoulder work when I had a lot left in the tank -nope, still too much like max effort work. Realizing that my shoulders were still a weak point I decided to over think everything and here is what I came up with.

We tend to use a bar in lieu of dumbbells because we use more weight, we get more of a carryover to our competition lifts, and in general we get better results. Along with these better results are a greater drain on our CNS and overall muscular fatigue. Reaching across to bodybuilding, many bodybuilders will tell you that the weight used is not always so important when it comes to growing -at least as compared to the powerlifting mentality that more (heavier) is clearly better. This in mind, I decided to try to use the least amount of weight I could to elicit a gain. The hardest exercise I could come up with was strict standing dumbbell overhead pressing for high reps.

When I first started doing them I was surprised to find that my triceps were my limiting factor and my shoulders were looking pretty jacked at the end of a workout. A few weeks into it I started getting some comments from people about me looking bigger even though I had lost a few pounds. All I did was the minimum I could on shoulder day. My shoulder work usually consisted of high rep standing strict dumbbell presses. Most of the time I was doing sets of 20. Without worrying too much about it I waved my progression. For instance at one point my best set of 20 was with the 75lb dumbbells:

Week 1: Work up to the 60's, do 2-3 sets of 20.
    Week 2: Work up the 70's, do 2-3 sets of 20.
    Week 3: Work up to a set of 20 with the 80's.
    Week 4: Work up to the 60's, do 2-3 sets of 20?

This worked for a while, after which I just went by feel. I didn't start going by feel until I was a couple months in. Other exercises I incorporated were standing strict 1-arm dumbbell pressing, not so strict standing dumbbell pressing, and doing any of the above with slightly lower rep ranges.

My Thursday is my shoulder day, I also do lat work on this day. To further reduce the weight I was using I started doing all my lat work first, ending with the standing strict dumbbell work when I was fatigued at the end of the workout. My bench kept going up and my shoulder strength did too. Interestingly enough, this seemed to help my shoulders feel better, I think it was just the very long warm-up. Nice note for those with shoulder issues.

Curious as to what my strict standing overhead press was doing, I gave it a shot one day and smashed 275 pretty easy. If I remember correctly, that was a big PR for me back then. Clearly the high rep dumbbell work was helping my shoulders get bigger, and the max effort bench work was carrying my strength. In other words, I don't have to do max effort shoulder work for my strength to go up.

I incorporate barbell overhead lifts when I feel like it, which isn't really that often. I have trouble doing heavy overhead work and not having it effect my bench work. I haven't done any seated barbell overhead lifts for a while. I used to do them often and liked them but end up tweaking my pecs when I do it. I'm not sure how, but that's another story. I do seated dumbbell presses every now and then, but find that I get so much more out of the standing presses -because they're so much harder- that I don?t often have a reason to do them seated. I'm sure given enough time I'll cycle back to more seated work.

I usually only do 1 pressing exercise. As I was prepping for my last contest, in which I was also competing in the overhead press, every other week or so I would do the bare minimum of barbell work and chase it with some volume with the dumbbells. I rarely do front raises, and I work my scapular retractors/rear delts 2-3 times per week (also high volume work).

The bottom line here is that I do a lot of very high rep standing strict dumbbell work and it's made my lifts go up pretty well. I keep the weight light, the reps high, the form strict, and the volume high. I hope this helps some of you.

Some questions I have been asked:

Q) I can't sleep at night without doing speed work. What do I do?
    A) I would do the shoulder work after speed work. Keep the speed work on the light side. Don't do twenty billion sets.

Q) I do repetition work on a second bench day. What do I do?
    A) I would make my second movement on your max effort day a repetition movement, and I'd just do the overhead stuff on the second day.

Q) I want to do max effort shoulder work. What do you think of that?
    A) I want to do it too, but I can't. It takes too much away from my bench. Vincent Dizenzo is able to get away with doing max effort/near max effort shoulder work, I am not. It's worth a try but don't be shocked if your numbers take a dive.

Q) So and so does no direct shoulder work and they bench 9000.
    A) I'm not them. My shoulders were weak, I have to do the work.

Q) What works better, volume or intensity?
    A) Who knows. For me, intensity works but at the expense of my bench. That leaves volume. We're (usually) not competing in overhead movements; do the minimum you have to do to keep your strength up.

Q) Do you do push presses?
    A) I did a long time ago. I liked them; 6 weeks of push presses made my seated military press go up 30lbs. I haven't done them for a while because I tend to go very heavy when I do them, which once again tends to take away from my bench (gasp). I have not experimented with keeping them moderate in intensity, or doing higher rep variations.

Q) It's wrong to do accessory movements (lats) before the main movement (shoulders).
    A) That's not a question. Also, I don't care.

Q) High reps won't build muscle, they're more for endurance.
    A) I don't care. Also, I disagree.

Q) You suck at writing these things.
    A) Agreed.

-Basic Shoulder Ideas by Chris Popovich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As far as lockout goes, a lot of that is obviously triceps, but also how tight you are in the bottom of the lift. Once you square away that, pressing against micro-bands or mini bands helped me. Also pressing with chains, but I set up the chains so they were completely suspended -the reason being to introduce instability, not for accomodating resistance. The bands work fast, but are really hard on you, so be careful. Sorry this is disjointed, I'm rushing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    sticky, what's your BF% at these days?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jameskshaffer Click here to enlarge
    sticky, what's your BF% at these days?
    I don't know but it's the lowest it has been since high school.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mramg1 Click here to enlarge
    AAAAAHHHHH, I'm blind, LOL

You call that a leg my friend?
    I don't know what you're talking about my legs are beautiful.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've lost motivation to maintain myself after a couple injuries and also while trying to get through the rigors of schooling, but I have trained a couple friends as well as a couple NCAA athletes during some time in sports medicine. The individuals were freak athletes, but their workout routines were for panzies so I implemented a more PL/SM type routine for them and the results were INSANE. Freak genetics + great routine = epic results, at first the athletes kinda thought I was an idiot and they were more worried about their "bicep pumps", but after a while they bought into the system and the results were amazing. They weren't competing, but the results from the routines carried over very well into their respective sports, I actually wonder if they've gone pro by now haha.

If it's not too personal of a Q to ask could you post up height/weight?

If you want to know something crazy in a period of a couple years, I lost 58 pounds (muscle), gained back 40(muscle), lost 35 again and finally gained back 25 in fat. It sounds impossible and nobody would believe me and I wouldn't expect them to unless they seen the transformations themself. I shrunk into a tall lanky person who looked like he's dieing of some illness and then in the same year blew back up and looked like I was on roids to people who had only seen the super skinny version of me, only to lose it all again after getting sick for real. I just haven't had the motivation to get back into my routines ever since.
    @SCGT - very good information and no bro science crap, refreshing to read posts like that on a forum compared to what I'm used to. Online forums are full of so much crap.

PS: I actually don't mind crossfitters, they are at least informed people, the p90x and insanity crowd are what drive me crazy.
    jb4+fbo+meth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dr. G Click here to enlarge
    Online forums are full of so much crap.
    Not this one...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not this one...
    Yeah, I was referring to most strength/fitness related forums.
    jb4+fbo+meth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As far as lockout goes, a lot of that is obviously triceps, but also how tight you are in the bottom of the lift. Once you square away that, pressing against micro-bands or mini bands helped me. Also pressing with chains, but I set up the chains so they were completely suspended -the reason being to introduce instability, not for accomodating resistance. The bands work fast, but are really hard on you, so be careful. Sorry this is disjointed, I'm rushing.
    Thanks for posting you're article and all that info. It it very informative. I can't rep you again but hopefully somebody else will.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dr. G Click here to enlarge
    If it's not too personal of a Q to ask could you post up height/weight?
    Are you asking me? I'm 6'0 210ish. I'm fairly lean so no where near filled out at this weight.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast