Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Powerlifters and Strongmen?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Powerlifters and Strongmen?

*Sorry, No Crossfitters*
    Nothing Personal, Just not interested in your lifting (unless you're competing in PL or Strongman).

Anybody on GermanBoost compete in Powerlifting or Strongman? I remember there was an Icelandic guy here that did strongman.

I did my first Strongman show last fall. Just trying to gain some weight (and Strength) before my next. Was also thinking of doing my first PL meet this winter. Just signed up at PL gym last month, and loving it. Trying to talk the owner of the gym into getting some strongman stuff, no luck yet lol.
    Click here to enlarge
    Differential Lockdown Braces for E9x & e8x
    Authorized Dealer of: BMS, Evolution Racewerks, ETS, and more

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1708 Post(s)

Not near there yet but I know you take your lifting pretty seriously. How did you do?

By the way what does your workout schedule look like or consist of? I don't do legs because of cardio which... uses legs.
    Like BoostAddict on FaceBook, get +20 rep and tacos*: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...-FaceBook-page

* Tacos sold separately

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I do CrossFit, but I really enjoy the Olympic/Powerlifts -- Power Cleans, Snatches, Deadlifts, Yoke Walks, etc. The gym I go has lots of the Strongman stuff (Atlas stones, Sleds, etc) so it's fun to just mess around with it.

If you're looking to gain weight, I'd check out Eat to Perform and anything related to Louie Simmons / Westside Barbell. If you've got some time, there's the Barbell Shrugged iTunes podcast which has interviewed Paul Nobles, head of Eat to Perform (EP # 64), and Louie Simmons (#68), both are really good and while the podcast is geared for CrossFitters, there's lots of solid weightlifting information/discussion in the podcast series.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not near there yet but I know you take your lifting pretty seriously. How did you do?

By the way what does your workout schedule look like or consist of? I don't do legs because of cardio which... uses legs.
    In my first strongman show? I came in first in my weight class (180-200). It was a smaller local comp so had more weight classes. At a national level lightweight is up to 105kg (231lbs). I'm working my way up to that now. I"m pretty lanky so I got room to grow for sure.

I follow what called Westside Principles, written by Louie Simmons. It's not really a set routine, but more of a guideline. It's fairly difficult to explain, but basically you alternate exercise, and intensity while focusing on bringing up weaknesses. It's more advanced because it requires you to know what you need.

Basically this is my week:

Monday: Squat Variant, secondary squat movement, then assistance work. Generally Lat Work

Tuesday: Bench variant, secondary bench movement, then assistance. Upper back and triceps

Thursday: Deadlift Variant, Secondary DL, then lat work

Friday: Overhead Press variant (Mostly strict presses), secondary movement, then tricep work.

Saturdays: Optional Event day. Haven't been doing it lately.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    I do CrossFit, but I really enjoy the Olympic/Powerlifts -- Power Cleans, Snatches, Deadlifts, Yoke Walks, etc. The gym I go has lots of the Strongman stuff (Atlas stones, Sleds, etc) so it's fun to just mess around with it.

If you're looking to gain weight, I'd check out Eat to Perform and anything related to Louie Simmons / Westside Barbell. If you've got some time, there's the Barbell Shrugged iTunes podcast which has interviewed Paul Nobles, head of Eat to Perform (EP # 64), and Louie Simmons (#68), both are really good and while the podcast is geared for CrossFitters, there's lots of solid weightlifting information/discussion in the podcast series.
    You're lucky you have access to those Implements. I'm jelly. Also check out Mark Bell's Powercast podcast. He's been helping a lot of CF guys lately, and has had guests such as Kelly Starrett. It's got a ton of info.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

Yea, the gym owner is a former Mr Universe competitor, so he's into weightlifting "toys". And since you're following the Westside Barbell training routine, you already know it's all about box squats lol.

I'll download Mark Bell's podcast, always open to some new insight.

EDIT -- Just realized this is Mark Bell from Bigger, Faster, Stronger

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

3 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    OP knows his stuff. He motivated me to get going in June or July and im a long way from trying to compete or anything but i went from a weakling only benching 175x1 to putting up 245x5 on my 5th set of 5 reps.

Im doing a 5x5 its called madcow 5x5

that or stronglift 5x5 is a good place to start for anyone who wants to ease into this.

@Justin@BoostAddictions glad you started this as i have slacked of last week due to travel but im re-motivated seeing this haha
    @Sticky legs are my weakness too but once you get into squats and finally get yourself to do them all the way down they arent so bad
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    CrossFit got me into powerlifting. I love it. I was in great overall shape when I was in the Marines, but never really what I considered to be strong. Now half of my garage is full of strength equipment. My power cage ties with the 335i as my favorite toys.
    07 335i FBO Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

5 out of 5 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    If your not doing legs (not cardio) youre simply not working out. Squats and dead lifts are essential, doesn't have to be heavy but squats, DL and lunges are essential, functional and the foundation of all movements.

Good luck to the power lifters competing. Tought! I just hit 405 on my Deadlift. But my squat isn't nearly as strong
    Current:
    13 E92 M3 ZCP
    - WSIR 1:33:9 / BW C13 2:03:5 / ACS 1:56:7
    (Stock besides wheels/tires - Rs3)
    WSIR 1:32:8 / BW C13 1:59:2 / ACS 1:55:1
    (KW ClubSport 3 way / Rs3)
    WSIR 1:30:9 / BW C13 1:57:7
    (above plus Apr Wing)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1708 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Justin@BoostAddictions Click here to enlarge
    In my first strongman show? I came in first in my weight class (180-200). It was a smaller local comp so had more weight classes. At a national level lightweight is up to 105kg (231lbs). I'm working my way up to that now. I"m pretty lanky so I got room to grow for sure.

I follow what called Westside Principles, written by Louie Simmons. It's not really a set routine, but more of a guideline. It's fairly difficult to explain, but basically you alternate exercise, and intensity while focusing on bringing up weaknesses. It's more advanced because it requires you to know what you need.

Basically this is my week:

Monday: Squat Variant, secondary squat movement, then assistance work. Generally Lat Work

Tuesday: Bench variant, secondary bench movement, then assistance. Upper back and triceps

Thursday: Deadlift Variant, Secondary DL, then lat work

Friday: Overhead Press variant (Mostly strict presses), secondary movement, then tricep work.

Saturdays: Optional Event day. Haven't been doing it lately.
    You don't do any cardio?
    Like BoostAddict on FaceBook, get +20 rep and tacos*: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...-FaceBook-page

* Tacos sold separately

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1708 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    If your not doing legs (not cardio) youre simply not working out.
    My sore back today disagrees.

* Tacos sold separately

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    You don't do any cardio?
    If your diet is clean and not $#@! then you don't need cardio. He's working out enough as his routine shows. My buddy who has been lifting 15 years and is built like a brick $#@!house has never done any cardio in that entire time. And he doesn't need to, he's like 230+lbs with a 36 waist.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1708 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
    If your diet is clean and not $#@! then you don't need cardio. He's working out enough as his routine shows. My buddy who has been lifting 15 years and is built like a brick $#@!house has never done any cardio in that entire time. And he doesn't need to, he's like 230+lbs with a 36 waist.
    Well my diet is amazing as in bacon bacon bacon. So I need the cardio. But then that creates quite a conundrum with the leg routines.

* Tacos sold separately

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    If your not doing legs (not cardio) youre simply not working out. Squats and dead lifts are essential, doesn't have to be heavy but squats, DL and lunges are essential, functional and the foundation of all movements.
    I was going to post this exact thing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    You don't do any cardio?
    Not really. My event days usually have some sort of cardio involved. I've always been a decent runner, even without training I can run 2-3 miles without stopping.

Yup squats and deads are essential to setting a good base for yourself. If they are causing you back pain, you are either not doing them right, have weak abs, weak lower back, flexibility issues, or a combination of them all.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1708 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Justin@BoostAddictions Click here to enlarge
    Yup squats and deads are essential to setting a good base for yourself. If they are causing you back pain, you are either not doing them right, have weak abs, weak lower back, flexibility issues, or a combination of them all.
    No they don't cause me any back pain. The point I was making is my back is sore from lifting which mean you certainly can get a workout without lifting with your legs.

* Tacos sold separately

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

Well my diet is amazing as in bacon bacon bacon. So I need the cardio. But then that creates quite a conundrum with the leg routines.
    Cardio doesn't = elliptical/treadmill/running. If you do the high intensity lifts at a moderate weight (say like 4 powercleans every min for 10 mins @ 60% your max), you'll prob burn more calories then you would running for 10 mins.

I have ~4 slices of bacon with 3 eggs every morning with some greek yogurt and have been cutting weight. Take my lifting schedule right off the Nor Cal CrossFit website (http://nccflab.com/), which usually includes a strength component (heavy squat/bench/deadlift/powerclean/snatch), some heavy rep work (3 reps of some exercise every min for xx mins) and/or a repeated exercise timed (5 rounds of 10 pullups + 5 squat cleans as fast as possible). If your back hurts, it's prob from a treadmill (awful for your knees/ankles/lower back), bad form/abuse, and/or a weakness.

The only "cardio" I do is rowing, and that's maybe once a week.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

^exactly. People breakdown over time, injury, sitting too much, lack flexibility and your body starts adapting to these things and you don't function as the human body is supposed to. We are made to run jump squat hop lunge hunt food and carry it back. But since times have changed most of us sit at a desk all day. Even if you're just doing body weight you should squat and lunge. The pump creates huge amounts of circulation thru the body. Health benefits are exponential.
    Current:
    13 E92 M3 ZCP
    - WSIR 1:33:9 / BW C13 2:03:5 / ACS 1:56:7
    (Stock besides wheels/tires - Rs3)
    WSIR 1:32:8 / BW C13 1:59:2 / ACS 1:55:1
    (KW ClubSport 3 way / Rs3)
    WSIR 1:30:9 / BW C13 1:57:7
    (above plus Apr Wing)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    No they don't cause me any back pain. The point I was making is my back is sore from lifting which mean you certainly can get a workout without lifting with your legs.
    IJS Brah

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1708 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Cardio doesn't = elliptical/treadmill/running. If you do the high intensity lifts at a moderate weight (say like 4 powercleans every min for 10 mins @ 60% your max), you'll prob burn more calories then you would running for 10 mins.
    I understand that but the point is you can keep your heart rate up over an extended period and with weight lifting you have to allow yourself more rest.

* Tacos sold separately

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1708 Post(s)

IJS Brah

Click here to enlarge
    I get it but my legs are actually quite nice. I guess my routine is based more about fat loss than adding muscle.

* Tacos sold separately

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1708 Post(s)

^exactly. People breakdown over time, injury, sitting too much, lack flexibility and your body starts adapting to these things and you don't function as the human body is supposed to. We are made to run jump squat hop lunge hunt food and carry it back. But since times have changed most of us sit at a desk all day. Even if you're just doing body weight you should squat and lunge. The pump creates huge amounts of circulation thru the body. Health benefits are exponential.
    This is good advice here. I'm going to figure out how to incorporate a leg routine.

I'm going to have to buy a home gym looks like.

* Tacos sold separately

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

I understand that but the point is you can keep your heart rate up over an extended period and with weight lifting you have to allow yourself more rest.
    Word, but it's been proven that repeated cycles of high intensity are more effective than prolonged moderate intensity, regardless your goal (muscle/strength gain or fat burning).

Honestly, shop the Rogue website. Get a barbell, weights & an adjustable rig (so you could do bench/squats/etc) and you've got a home gym. Could do pulls ups right off the rig & bench press from the floor, just need the space & since you live in CA I'd be outside in the shade.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

This is good advice here. I'm going to figure out how to incorporate a leg routine.

I'm going to have to buy a home gym looks like.
    EliteFTS and Rogue Fitness sell really nice equipment

EDIT: Benzy beat me to it
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

Lol, it's just great $#@!, lifetime warrantied & made in Ohio. If I had the money/space in my garage, I'd be all over a Chan Bar, a Yoke/Rig & some bumper plates + iron.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast