Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Race Cars: Mustang vs GTR at Thunderhill!

If you want to see some top of the line FAST race cars battling each other watch the two vids below. Top one is from the mustang looking back and the second one is the gtr looking forward. These two vids are from the same race! Enjoy!

The Cars:
    GOTO Racing GTR ~ The GTR is a Pro Grand-Am car, carbon wide body, 500-600rwhp, 3600lbs, butloads of racing mods, huge hoosier slicks, etc etc. 90k for the car, probably another 20k in mods. = $110k

Griggs Mustang ~ The mustang is an 04 Cobra (WITHOUT IRS) but with the full GR40 suspension setup, making 600hp and only 440tq, 3250lbs, solid axle, DOT R6 Tires, and GR 4 on 4 brakes. 30k car, plus 20 mods= $50k

The Results:
    The GTR's best lap was a 1:49.681.
    The Griggs Mustang ran a 1:49.625.

The GTR ran slicks, while the Griggs Mustang was on DOT's tires.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

To be honest, this makes me want to start road course racing. Longer battles, greater intensity, more driver skill.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

nice find man, makes you wanna go to a track ASAP lol. i love these kinds of videos and even better when we have both car's angles.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Griggs machines always impress me. What motor is the cobra running?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlargeSick!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

This is an older video that I thought the racing enthusiast may enjoy. The items that I like about this video is the pure skill it takes to drive this fast with traffic that are also racing the course. Add to that the great competition between these two is awe inspiring. The missing link that I have never seen before is the 2 vids of the same race covering two different angles which recreates the atmosphere this race had. I never get tired of watching these race!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

That was a great pair of videos! It goes to show not all the money can make a good race car.

The GTR is trying to use new technology to beat 50+ years of racing history. IMO he couldnt come close. The driver of the Mustang was setting every turn up almost perfect..slow in fast out. While the GTR guy just used his paddle shifters and humongous brakes to cut to the corner early, and round the corner slower as a result. That Mustang was putting bus lengths on him at every turn despite the less hp and torque, with an 'ancient' suspension design.

Not to mention it looked under damped in some corners..watching the GTR from the Mustangs view it looked to have the 'honda bounce' in the turns.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

^ Weight is the killer. And that car has been taken over by COBB. More power, less weight and a lot faster. No such this as ancient doo-dah in racing.