Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Will nitrous make turbo cars reach full boost earlier?

So let's say my car full boost at 4400rpm
    Will nitrous make hit full boost (lets say ) 4100-4200rpm or it will hit 4400rpm quicker?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Spool Click here to enlarge
    So let's say my car full boost at 4400rpm
    Will nitrous make hit full boost (lets say ) 4100-4200rpm or it will hit 4400rpm quicker?
    It will hit 4400rpm quicker, but honestly it's all in the tuning of when you will hit boost, or want to, and if the motor needs help, you can tune or ask the car to do many things, but doesn't mean it's capable of doing. Take large single turbo cars for example, in some cases guys go as far as using a shot of nitrous on the starting line to get the turbo spooling, it simply speeds up the process.

The real question is...what are you trying to accomplish?
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Simple old article highlighting the benefits of using nitrous to eliminate turbo lag: http://www.superstreetonline.com/tec...oxide_systems/

Just need to make sure you have a properly setup system that addresses your goals/needs
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No accomplish
    A dumbass told me that nos will shave rpm from full boost

What about higher compression will it shave rpm or hit my full boost quicker?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Its a very old and very common trick to use a small shot of nitrous on big turbo race cars to spool the turbo very quickly. That link posted is a great reference.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not sure how a CR changes anything, once you have a reliable system installed, you'll obviously tune the NOS shot specific to your setup (turbo size/CR/internals strength/etc etc)
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yea but...

can i have a... o say... 50 shot engaged at 1500-1800rpm and have it shut off at say 4000-4500 rpm?
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No accomplish

Well changing the compression or building the motor will absolutely have its effects, depending on what you do you will definitely change amount of air being moved at said RPM and causing turbo to spool faster, or slower depending on what you do.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
    yea but...

can i have a... o say... 50 shot engaged at 1500-1800rpm and have it shut off at say 4000-4500 rpm?
    Of course, that would get the thing spooled now. Just have a fuel pressure switch, hobbs pressure switch, and a throttle pedal switch, so it will only activate above a specific fuel pressure, boost pressure range, and only at full throttle. Example, fuel pressure switch set to 75 min to engage, boost set to engage above 5 psi and disengage at 20 psi, all this only happens if car is at WOT. Keeps everything safe and say bye bye to lag. But its nitrous, I have never been a huge nitrous fan.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Of course, that would get the thing spooled now. Just have a fuel pressure switch, hobbs pressure switch, and a throttle pedal switch, so it will only activate above a specific fuel pressure, boost pressure range, and only at full throttle. Example, fuel pressure switch set to 75 min to engage, boost set to engage above 5 psi and disengage at 20 psi, all this only happens if car is at WOT. Keeps everything safe and say bye bye to lag. But its nitrous, I have never been a huge nitrous fan.
    yeah me neither.. ive been toying with the idea for a while just for the drag strip. But its kind of a moot point since ill be swapping it anyway so i cant really justify setting it up as im just gonna blow this trans up anyway lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No accomplish

Higher compression, nitrous, these are things guys have used for a long time to help a motor respond quicker and spool faster. The fast Supras back in the day almost had to use nitrous off the line to get going by the time their huge turbos spooled.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yea but...

Sure you can but hitting nitrous at that low of an RPM is pretty hard on the rods.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Sure you can but hitting nitrous at that low of an RPM is pretty hard on the rods.
    I agree that that's too low of an engagement point. Nitrous creates real, instantaneous increases in torque. 2500-3000 rpm would be a more ideal rpm, unless it was a huge shot.
    I sprayed my E39 M5 for a long time with a 150 shot. It made 600 ft lbs of torque at the wheels on the initial hit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The other old timer trick was to help spool the turbo with co2 plumbed in. U could spool the turbo on the line before you even move.
    Click here to enlarge

I will quit being rude if you quit being stupid.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You can just use a 2-step nowadays, or that funky nozzle jet setup. Nitrous works great though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    You can just use a 2-step nowadays, or that funky nozzle jet setup. Nitrous works great though.
    yea but auto ;(

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yea but auto ;(
    With an auto you're already building boost. Higher stall...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    With an auto you're already building boost. Higher stall...
    That's not true. You are actually dead wrong about that because it is actually the opposite with the big turbo guys.

Paisley used to use nitrous while on the trans brake to spool his Supra on the line so he could leave the line with boost. His car was easily the hardest launching Supra of all time. He was the guy that used to do 500' long wheelies in his Supra in the late 90's. His was an automatic and he still needed to use nitrous back then. When he switched to a manual transmission he stopped needing to use the nitrous on the line to get it into boost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CaliBenz Click here to enlarge
    That's not true. You are actually dead wrong about that because it is actually the opposite with the big turbo guys.
    How is it not true? It's 100% true as there is load.

If it's a bigger turbo you will likely need a higher stall but the car is experiencing load so you're dead wrong.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    How is it not true? It's 100% true as there is load.

If it's a bigger turbo you will likely need a higher stall but the car is experiencing load so you're dead wrong.
    Obviously you're not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to these things but it's understandable why you would think that. Many forum racers would seem to think this way. Reading about what others do on the forum and going out and experiencing it yourself are two very different things altogether.

Getting a car up on boost with a manual transmission in a drag race is simple, just hit the gas, put it on a two step and retard some timing maybe. An automatic is a lot different. You may not be able to get it up on the two step in an automatic. You need to get over the hump where the turbos come into boost and bring the car up onto the converter.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Obviously you're not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to these things but it's understandable why you would think that. Many forum racers would seem to think this way. Reading about what others do on the forum and going out and experiencing it yourself are two very different things altogether.
    I'm sorry it's simple physics as when you're loading the torque converter sitting at the line you're creating load for the motor. So you're 100% wrong and you're not the sharpest knife yourself there. There's a reason automatic turbo cars leave the line harder, I wonder what it could be? I'd watch your next steps carefully as I don't like your tone not to mention you're incorrect.

Getting a car up on boost with a manual transmission in a drag race is simple, just hit the gas, put it on a two step and retard some timing maybe. An automatic is a lot different. You may not be able to get it up on the two step in an automatic. You need to get over the hump where the turbos come into boost and bring the car up onto the converter.
    Nobody said anything remotely along the lines of that there are not ways to get a manual car to build boost at the line. The fact remains automatic cars are generating boost at the line by creating load AKA brake boosting. You're in such a hurry to try to show you know something you aren't even realizing nobody is arguing against this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

0 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Not worth explaining this to you, you're too stubborn to ever understand, you probably never even stepped into a physics classroom in your life. It's all good, you keep thinking the way you do.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not worth explaining this to you, you're too stubborn to ever understand, you probably never even stepped into a physics classroom in your life. It's all good, you keep thinking the way you do.
    You're going to have a bad time here wannabe know it all. If you are going to take that approach you should learn what you're talking about first.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No accomplish

A higher compression with/or more displacement should shave rpm off your full boost target rpm.