Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,751
    Rep Points
    31,550.6
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No

    The Lara Soft FaceBook controversy and was I trolling? AKA should we be politically correct zombies scared of personal responsibility?


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,751
    Rep Points
    31,550.6
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,751
    Rep Points
    31,550.6
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    So big chick doesn't look like this:

    Click here to enlarge

    And what? Wants me and the rest of society to pretend like she does to spare her feelings? My point is the chick should know she looks nothing like that.

    What the $#@! is wrong with people?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,751
    Rep Points
    31,550.6
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    She de-friended me. Why does that happen whenever someone can't argue their point well?

    Funny how she wants me to accept this woman's appearance yet she doesn't want to accept a different point of view from her own. Hypocrite?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    169
    Rep Points
    142.6
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    @Sticky,

    Regardless of what you think about her physical appearance, she didn't ask for an opinion and therefore any spoken or written negative comments are really just insults. Haven't you ever heard the phrase "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything." Today's society spends so much time criticizing that we rarely take the time to look inward and realize what jackasses we really are.

    If she had put herself on the internet hoping for some notoriety, then I would say she asked for what she got. But some $#@! put that picture on a website without her permission or knowledge. Why? Probably to make themselves feel like they are better, or maybe just ok.

    I thought it was very interesting in the article you linked that she didn't get upset when the picture was first posted. It wasn't until the cruel comments started that she got upset. "... they hadn’t really thought of me as a person. Why should they? These images are throwaways, little bursts of amusement to get through a long workday. You look, you chuckle, you get some ridicule off your chest and move on to the next source of distraction."

    This is the problem with the internet; it dehumanizes people. We insult and degrade never realizing there is a person on the other end feeling the abuse. "We all know the awful humiliation of a person laughing at you. But that feeling increases tenfold when it seems like everyone is laughing at you. Scrolling through the comments, the world imploded — and took my heart with it."

    What's the big deal about an overweight chick dressing up like a character she's a fan of? Nothing at all. Is she physically attractive? Certainly not, and I'm sure she's aware of it. But she doesn't deserve the internet beat-down that she got.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    169
    Rep Points
    142.6
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    She de-friended me. Why does that happen whenever someone can't argue their point well?
    Probably because your argument stemmed from the assumption the girl wanted attention. She didn't, and wasn't the one posting the pics. Some $#@! decided it would be funny to degrade another human being and your argument is that the girl deserved it. Not cool...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    331
    Rep Points
    0.1
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    6 out of 6 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I think it is absolutely ridiculous to take the stance that she can dress however she wants and everyone else should keep their opinions to themselves. So, if I paint my face black and wear some NBA $#@! because I want to look like Michael Jordan, should I be upset when a bunch of black guys beat the $#@! out of me? Uh, no. I should have been smart enough to think about the possible negative reactions that might accompany my "outfit." Would you ever go to your corporate job in a pair of cut off jean shorts and an 80's era shirt that showed your stomach and had cut off sleeves...as a man, and expect to not be ridiculed or sent home for being, oh...I don't know...INAPPROPRIATE!

    Plain and simple, freedom of speech goes both ways. If you want to exercise your freedom to look like an asshat, then expect others to exercise theirs by calling you out on it. /thread

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,751
    Rep Points
    31,550.6
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nawlinstornado Click here to enlarge
    What's the big deal about an overweight chick dressing up like a character she's a fan of? Nothing at all. Is she physically attractive? Certainly not, and I'm sure she's aware of it. But she doesn't deserve the internet beat-down that she got.
    My whole point is people are acting like everyone is being so mean to her blah blah blah but she is taking zero responsibility in bringing the comments on by choosing to dress up that way in the first place.

    She should put some of the blame on herself and not on others.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,751
    Rep Points
    31,550.6
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mycoupe Click here to enlarge
    I think it is absolutely ridiculous to take the stance that she can dress however she wants and everyone else should keep their opinions to themselves. So, if I paint my face black and wear some NBA $#@! because I want to look like Michael Jordan, should I be upset when a bunch of black guys beat the $#@! out of me? Uh, no. I should have been smart enough to think about the possible negative reactions that might accompany my "outfit." Would you ever go to your corporate job in a pair of cut off jean shorts and an 80's era shirt that showed your stomach and had cut off sleeves...as a man, and expect to not be ridiculed or sent home for being, oh...I don't know...INAPPROPRIATE!

    Plain and simple, freedom of speech goes both ways. If you want to exercise your freedom to look like an asshat, then expect others to exercise theirs by calling you out on it. /thread
    This.

    She's not taking responsibility and trying to make others feel sorry for her.

    She doesn't look like Lara Croft. She shouldn't dress like Lara Croft. If she does, she shouldn't be surprised when people call her Lara Soft.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,751
    Rep Points
    31,550.6
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nawlinstornado Click here to enlarge
    Probably because your argument stemmed from the assumption the girl wanted attention. She didn't, and wasn't the one posting the pics. Some $#@! decided it would be funny to degrade another human being and your argument is that the girl deserved it. Not cool...
    My argument stemmed from a personal responsibility standpoint.

    I didn't say anyone deserved to be abused. I said she has culpability in what happened. It's pretty simple and obvious to me.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    169
    Rep Points
    142.6
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    My argument stemmed from a personal responsibility standpoint.

    I didn't say anyone deserved to be abused. I said she has culpability in what happened. It's pretty simple and obvious to me.
    You're going to have to explain this to me. Just wearing something is "asking for it?" So when a woman gets raped, she needs to accept responsibility for the clothes she wears? I have to call bull$#@! on this one. It's a costume, it's for fun, she wasn't saying she was a Lara Croft double.

    Again, if she posted it on a website herself, that would be asking for it. But she didn't, someone else did. Her actions did not warrant the harassment she's gotten.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    169
    Rep Points
    142.6
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mycoupe Click here to enlarge
    Would you ever go to your corporate job in a pair of cut off jean shorts and an 80's era shirt that showed your stomach and had cut off sleeves...as a man, and expect to not be ridiculed or sent home for being, oh...I don't know...INAPPROPRIATE!

    Plain and simple, freedom of speech goes both ways. If you want to exercise your freedom to look like an asshat, then expect others to exercise theirs by calling you out on it.
    I agree, but there is no need to be insulting or cruel. The internet has made people feel just a little too comfortable acting like the 4th grade bully. It almost seems like we are losing all trace of maturity and decency.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,751
    Rep Points
    31,550.6
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nawlinstornado Click here to enlarge
    I agree, but there is no need to be insulting or cruel. The internet has made people feel just a little too comfortable acting like the 4th grade bully. It almost seems like we are losing all trace of maturity and decency.
    My Halloween costume this year is a speedo and medals. Im michael phelps and when people make fun of me for not looking like him society is to blame. Because the internetz did it.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,751
    Rep Points
    31,550.6
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nawlinstornado Click here to enlarge
    You're going to have to explain this to me. Just wearing something is "asking for it?" So when a woman gets raped, she needs to accept responsibility for the clothes she wears? I have to call bull$#@! on this one. It's a costume, it's for fun, she wasn't saying she was a Lara Croft double.

    Again, if she posted it on a website herself, that would be asking for it. But she didn't, someone else did. Her actions did not warrant the harassment she's gotten.
    Did she put on the outfit herself or did the internet make her?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    169
    Rep Points
    142.6
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    My Halloween costume this year is a speedo and medals. Im michael phelps and when people make fun of me for not looking like him society is to blame. Because the internetz did it.
    Not the internet, just people. Cruelty is a choice, and one we should strive not to make.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    331
    Rep Points
    0.1
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    That is like being told you're going to a comedy club, but you are not allowed to laugh at any jokes that aren't politically correct.



    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nawlinstornado Click here to enlarge
    Not the internet, just people. Cruelty is a choice, and one we should strive not to make.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,454
    Rep Points
    1,751.4
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mycoupe Click here to enlarge
    I think it is absolutely ridiculous to take the stance that she can dress however she wants and everyone else should keep their opinions to themselves. So, if I paint my face black and wear some NBA $#@! because I want to look like Michael Jordan, should I be upset when a bunch of black guys beat the $#@! out of me? Uh, no. I should have been smart enough to think about the possible negative reactions that might accompany my "outfit." Would you ever go to your corporate job in a pair of cut off jean shorts and an 80's era shirt that showed your stomach and had cut off sleeves...as a man, and expect to not be ridiculed or sent home for being, oh...I don't know...INAPPROPRIATE!

    Plain and simple, freedom of speech goes both ways. If you want to exercise your freedom to look like an asshat, then expect others to exercise theirs by calling you out on it. /thread
    and now we can close the thread.
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E91 Stockish and slow AF

    Got Boost?

    Click here to enlarge

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,454
    Rep Points
    1,751.4
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nawlinstornado Click here to enlarge
    Not the internet, just people. Cruelty is a choice, and one we should strive not to make.
    Is society supposed to be super nice to everyone? Where does it say when our country was founded that we needed to be nice to everyone and not call people out?

    It's a fat chick dressed up as a teenage video game sex symbol. WTF did she expect?

    People usually do things like she did as a joke. Like a fat person dresses up like richard simmons, or a skinny guy going as a sumo wrestler, etc. She has a 'joke' costume on and was made fun of. If she was comfortable with herself & her body, like she pretends to be mind you, there would be no problem.
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E91 Stockish and slow AF

    Got Boost?

    Click here to enlarge

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    331
    Rep Points
    0.1
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Agreed.


    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Is society supposed to be super nice to everyone? Where does it say when our country was founded that we needed to be nice to everyone and not call people out?

    It's a fat chick dressed up as a teenage video game sex symbol. WTF did she expect?

    People usually do things like she did as a joke. Like a fat person dresses up like richard simmons, or a skinny guy going as a sumo wrestler, etc. She has a 'joke' costume on and was made fun of. If she was comfortable with herself & her body, like she pretends to be mind you, there would be no problem.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,751
    Rep Points
    31,550.6
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nawlinstornado Click here to enlarge
    Not the internet, just people. Cruelty is a choice, and one we should strive not to make.
    I'm not advocating cruelty. I'm advocating awareness and personal responsibility.

    Does she have the freedom to dress like that? Yes. Just as I have the freedom to point out she looks nothing like Lara Croft. I'm not being cruel about it but I wouldn't dress like that...

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,751
    Rep Points
    31,550.6
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    It's a fat chick dressed up as a teenage video game sex symbol. WTF did she expect?
    Bingo.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,198
    Rep Points
    1,800.2
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I'm gonna side step a little, but it's gonna make full circle --- There's a similar dispute going on in the CrossFit community. If you follow their Twitter account, it's pretty clear that they're not afraid to stand their ground & state their position. Founder Greg Glassman has openly stated that CF was built on "self-responsibility" values and this is reflected in their libertarian-views. If you want to get better and stronger, you need to put the work in, diet correctly and know when to say "no" to something. Nothing is going to come to you, especially if you really want to succeed at a hire level -- This not only applies to CrossFit, but essentially every venue in life (your relationships with other people, your career, etc).

    Point being, in today's society people are so wrapped up in being politically correct, not hurting each other's feelings, and waiting for praise/good things to come to them, we completely overlook the part where people need to accept reality and take ownership (and accountability) for their actions, decisions & statements. If you're a girl and decide to dress as a Laura Croft, a Playmate, or a Hooters girl, you better own it and be prepared for any potential "backlash".
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump


    "The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,751
    Rep Points
    31,550.6
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    I'm dressing up as Samuel L Jackson and blaming society for not seeing I'm black on the inside.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    169
    Rep Points
    142.6
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Here's a test: would you walk up to that girl on the street, in front of your mother, and say "you're a big, fat, stupid whore and you should die?" I'm thinking you probably wouldn't, and that's the whole point.

    Unlike the examples you provide, she didn't do anything offensive to society. She's just a fat chick trying to dress like a hot cartoon character for Halloween. It's funny, and I snickered. But hurling insults and telling her she should kill herself? Come on, guys. That's just a $#@!ty way to be.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    169
    Rep Points
    142.6
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mycoupe Click here to enlarge
    That is like being told you're going to a comedy club, but you are not allowed to laugh at any jokes that aren't politically correct.
    Seriously? You compare laughing at a comedian's politically-incorrect jokes to hurling insults at some fat chick? Come on, dude. That's just crazy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •