Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Quaife LSD Installed on E550 Coupe!!!

Yesterday was the big day, and now I have an E550 Coupe with a Limited Slip Differential. Maybe even the very first in the world! This assertion has not been confirmed, but I'd like to think it's true Click here to enlarge

Anyway, the folks over at At Speed Motorsports (Hanover, MD) did a great job even though it took longer than the quoted 5 hours. That estimate was based on a C63 install a few weeks back. Apparently, the interface between the half-shafts and the differential is quite a bit different and necessitated the disassembly of the right-rear suspension and removal of the right half-shaft. But the process only added 2 hours to the project.

As advertised, there isn't any observable difference in regular driving. The Quaife is as smooth and silent as the stock unit. I haven't had the opportunity to really hammer on it (I'll give it a few miles to break in) but, during a "spirited" merge from a cloverleaf, the car was controlled and predictable without any interference from the e-nannies - a very new experience. The ESP light blinks a lot less, too.

I managed to get a few mid-install pics. Enjoy.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Letz hope it meets your expectations... enjoy!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So far, so good. I was making a fast left at an intersection this morning and, due to oncoming traffic, was a little heavy on the accelerator. All I got was one small chirp and I was gone! In the past, I would have had a good bit of wheelspin and then gone powerless as the ECU cut fuel - my biggest complaint about the car. Now if I can only get rid of that stupid rattle in the roof panel...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm a bit jealous, but very happy for you. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Impressive results so far on the street... do you plan on bringing it back to the track anytime soon?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I may do a Hyperdrive on November 2 at Summit Point, and I think another trip to MIR is warranted; maybe mid-October.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Actually, scratch the Hyperdrive - there are no more openings. I guess I waited too long to sign up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    MIR for sure!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Can't wait to hear your resultz... please keep us posted.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Awesome set of pics thanks for the update!

Regarding performance on the strip I don't think you will see too much of a difference there.

In turns as you posted though you will notice a large difference as you indicated. Regardless, must have upgrade on these cars.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Regarding performance on the strip I don't think you will see too much of a difference there.
    Precisely, although I can now do runs in dyno mode. Couldn't do that before since it disables traction control. I doubt there will be much of a difference but I guess we'll see.

In turns as you posted though you will notice a large difference as you indicated. Regardless, must have upgrade on these cars.
    Agreed, and it seems to be getting better as it breaks in. When I find myself 'sampling' its capabilities, engagement seems to be a little smoother each time.

It's a real shame that MB doesn't offer this as a factory option.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I agree that MB should offer the Quaife!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nawlinstornado Click here to enlarge
    Precisely, although I can now do runs in dyno mode. Couldn't do that before since it disables traction control. I doubt there will be much of a difference but I guess we'll see.

Agreed, and it seems to be getting better as it breaks in. When I find myself 'sampling' its capabilities, engagement seems to be a little smoother each time.

how you liking it so far? You need to drive the car hard with traction control fully off hold the button for 10 seconds. Than beat on it you'll love it when your slowly applying throttle thru a curve to help pull you through and go full throttle at the apex it will just hook and track straight .. And if ya do spin it will be a much more controllable drift

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I really don't get why they don't. Or at least make it part of a Performance Package since there is no E63 AMG coupe.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ezec63 Click here to enlarge
    how you liking it so far? You need to drive the car hard with traction control fully off hold the button for 10 seconds. Than beat on it you'll love it when your slowly applying throttle thru a curve to help pull you through and go full throttle at the apex it will just hook and track straight .. And if ya do spin it will be a much more controllable drift
    I'm absolutely loving it. The torque transfer was a little rough (though smoother than TC) the first few times it engaged, with each subsequent event getting a little smoother, but now I can't even tell if it's doing anything until the car starts to drift a little. Same with the TC light - it flashed a few times early on but, now that the diff is fully broken in, I only see it when the rear gets completely squirrelly. Seriously, I know the car is losing traction before the computer....which is AWESOME!!!

The car allows you to turn stability control off but not traction control, and there is no TC or ESC button - ESC is disabled via the instrument cluster menus. The only way to turn all the computer nannies off is to put the car in dyno mode. Full throttle anywhere in a turn, in any gear below 4th, results in a nice-to-serious slide/major oversteer. This car just has too much torque for the Conti ExtremeContact DWS all-season tires - even with the extra width. But they are just about worn out so they'll be replaced with Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position summer tires in the spring. Maybe they will allow me to get a little heavier on the right peddle. In the meantime, the factory wheels and tires are going back on for the winter; they are going to make for some interesting driving after getting used to all the extra traction Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I really don't get why they don't. Or at least make it part of a Performance Package since there is no E63 AMG coupe.
    That's my biggest frustration - no AMG model - but I wanted a coupe more than the engine. The least they could have done was offer the AMG appearance package with options for an LSD and wider wheels/tires. It already comes with different suspension and throttle tuning . The '12-and-up models really need them to tame the M278.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's my biggest frustration - no AMG model - but I wanted a coupe more than the engine. The least they could have done was offer the AMG appearance package with options for an LSD and wider wheels/tires. It already comes with different suspension and throttle tuning . The '12-and-up models really need them to tame the M278.
    You read about where they admitted it was a mistake they did not do an AMG model right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I read it and agree with them: big mistake!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dueclaws Click here to enlarge
    I read it and agree with them: big mistake!
    Too late. I mean an all wheel drive E63 coupe with the M157? Sign me up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I mean an all wheel drive E63 coupe with the M157? Sign me up.
    Damn... that would be very tempting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You read about where they admitted it was a mistake they did not do an AMG model right?
    Yep...bastards...