Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Maybe computer nerds will appreciate, couldn't boot into windows all weekend

So my laptop decided to suddenly stop letting me boot into windows. Why? Well, trying to figure that out was the fun part.

Obviously I need my computer so I start troubleshooting. I can boot into safemode, so that's good. I do windows sytem restore as I downloaded some updates and figured that might be the problem. Nope, still can't boot normally as it hangs before the logon screen.

Ok, can get into safemode that has me thinking I might need a driver update. So I download a videocard update from ATI for my crossfire setup, reboot, and no dice. Hangs again. Hmm, wtf?

Thinking maybe I had some malware. Run malware bytes, nope. Puzzled, scratching my head.

Since I can get into safe mode so I'm thinking something is loading during the boot that is causing the computer to hang. So I start disabling things one by one and rebooting. No dice, still hangs.

I eventually disable everything and still can't get into regular windows. WTF?

So I go into the BIOS and run the motherboard diagnostic utility. Boom, there it is, video card memory integrity failure.

Boot into safe mode. Try to use the built in function to switch to integrated graphics. Alienware made so the function won't work in safe mode. Genius guys, really.

So I manually disable the video cards in the device manager to force the computer to use the intel integrated graphics. There we go, can get into windows.

Now I can use the function key (why is there no manual way to do this anyway?) to set the laptop to use integrated graphics so I can apply the intel driver which allows full resolution.

Great success, yay, posting like normal.

This is just one of those times that makes me feel good I spent all those years as a kid building my own computers and often screwing them up only to figure out how to solve the problem and get it working again. If this was one of my friends or my mom they'd already be at the store buying a new computer saying theirs was broken.

On the bright side I have an excuse to upgrade the video cards now but I need more muscle anyway and I'll just go with a full blown new desktop. Will I build it myself or not is the question.

tl;dr - Computer wouldn't boot. Flex some rather basic troubleshooting skills. Success. New video cards needed looks like I'll get a whole new comptuer.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Build your desktop yourself you will get a better build for cheaper price than what alienware is selling them for.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Linracing Click here to enlarge
    Build your desktop yourself you will get a better build for cheaper price than what alienware is selling them for.
    I wasn't going to go with Alienware this time. Dell has watered them down.

I'm thinking Maingear.

A few hundred dollars more to not have to sit around all weekend with computer parts all over my floor and with the system already tested, wired, and with a warranty doesn't sound all that bad.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    A few hundred dollars more to not have to sit around all weekend with computer parts all over my floor and with the system already tested, wired, and with a warranty doesn't sound all that bad.
    That is my thoughts as well. It was fun when I was a teenager, now I have better things to do with my time honestly. I don't have the desire to overclock anymore even if it's easy and reliable. Also the time I would spend researching each component would just eat up too many hours. Last time I did a build I spent like 4-5 hours on power supplies alone.

Oh and F ATI, nvidia all the way.

Any idea what replacement cards would cost or upgraded cards if they would fit?

This makes me want to do a build. I need something that I can play DayZ on w/ full gfx on my 70''.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Any idea what replacement cards would cost or upgraded cards if they would fit?
    Looks like a 7970m runs about $450 each on Ebay. So, F that, I'll just get a new computer.