Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Opti-Coat, looking for experienced reviews

Anyone here used opti-coat? How did you like it? How long did it last, etc?

I read this review of how it performed over a 15 month period, looks SOLID! http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...15-months.html

BTW, detailedimage.com has it 20% off currently, $55. http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum...-Coating-P554/

I find i have less and less time to wash and detail my car nowadays, and i have another child on the way. I need a set-it-and-forget way to keep my paint protected.

Looking forward to your thoughts,

Thanks.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe it's not that popular yet?Click here to enlarge
    2010 E90 335i xDrive
    JB4 G5 ISO | BMS DCI | BMS OCC | Alpina Flash | LED Angel Eyes | Matte Black Kidney Grills | growing list....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Wish I could add something but I have ever even heard of the product. Going to look into it now though.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I've had it on for about 18 months now and still going strong. When I don't have time to do a proper wash I'll just high pressure hose it at a car wash and it looks 90% there.
    If you put it on the wheels as well then brake dust just rinses off.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nugs Click here to enlarge
    I've had it on for about 18 months now and still going strong. When I don't have time to do a proper wash I'll just high pressure hose it at a car wash and it looks 90% there.
    If you put it on the wheels as well then brake dust just rinses off.
    That's what i've heard, i think i will go ahead and pull the trigger. Thanks for the feedback.

Btw, did you apply it yourself? If yes, have any issues? Any tips?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

This isn't an experienced review - however, I have "heard" that it depends on how often you detail your car. And by detail, I mean claybar. Supposedly, if you use a rubbing compound on small areas and/or use a more-than-mild polish on the whole, OR (worse) claybar the car - it will blemish the opticoat/quartz/whatever... I have no idea how hard that is to fix, but I am guessing not easy since the stuff is pretty resilient.

I am curious how it goes, looking forward to hear about it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    That's what i've heard, i think i will go ahead and pull the trigger. Thanks for the feedback.

Btw, did you apply it yourself? If yes, have any issues? Any tips?
    I didn't do it myself, had it professionally applied.
    I made a mess of the boot trying to remove spoiler adhesive. Because it's like having an extra layer of clear coat I was able to have the scratches polished out and opticoat reapplied.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Haven't had a ton of time on mine but here are my impressions so far -
    Overall not the most "depth" or gloss but great with a decent wax over it
    Good initial protection
    Car washed off with a foaming attachment on my hose and normal wash. Only area that a mitt really was needed was around the wheel/rocker area. Next wash the same, makes cleaning a quick proposition
    SOOOOO easy to apply. I mist the car and walk away, and then when i come back it needs almost no wiping
    For 20ish dollars its great. Just remember that it lacks some of the shine and filling properties of a decent wax. This with a coat of decent wax should give some great results. I did a small test with some zymol and it looks and feels fantastic
    Its only been a month or so since i applied it but so far so good

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by manbeer Click here to enlarge
    Haven't had a ton of time on mine but here are my impressions so far -
    Overall not the most "depth" or gloss but great with a decent wax over it
    Good initial protection
    Car washed off with a foaming attachment on my hose and normal wash. Only area that a mitt really was needed was around the wheel/rocker area. Next wash the same, makes cleaning a quick proposition
    SOOOOO easy to apply. I mist the car and walk away, and then when i come back it needs almost no wiping
    For 20ish dollars its great. Just remember that it lacks some of the shine and filling properties of a decent wax. This with a coat of decent wax should give some great results. I did a small test with some zymol and it looks and feels fantastic
    Its only been a month or so since i applied it but so far so good
    Thanks for the feedback, mine should be here today, so sometime in the next few weeks ill try to take a weekend to tackle a full paint correction and application of the opti-coat. I've heard that some waxes have a hard time bonding to the Opti-coat, have you experienced any issues?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

The zymol seemed to adhere pretty well so i'd imagine anything similar (pinnacle, dod juice etc) would be ok. I just applied the opticoat, wiped it down, waited overnight and rinsed the car again and dried before i did it so im not sure if that helped. Only thing i can guess is maybe some people apply the wax too soon and it doesn't play nice or there is some residue from the opticoat that they dont see when applying it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Update-
    I have had this on for over a month now. Seems to be holding up well...i have the misfortune of many trees over half of my driveway and generally arriving after the good spots are taken so i had pretty significant oak sap/slime on the car. Its not nearly as sticky as pine but it came off easily, just the pressure from the hose seemed to remove that plus the brake dust that was on the car. I am happy with the protection factor so far. One thing to note is that even though it in itself may not look glossy after a while, its still protecting. Water still sheets off

I just followed up last night with a coat of adam's brilliant glaze and buttery wax. Will see how that lasts over the opticoat

Have you had a chance to try it yet?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Not yet, waiting for a good free weekend to come along. Weather is also getting cooler, finally. I can't wait Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Adams buttery wax did NOT hold up well over the optimum. I'm thinking that the more natural "plant oil" based carnauba waxes may adhere better. Not sure if some of theliquids use emulsifiers that ddon'tallow them to bond to slick surfaces

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I have had my s6 opti-coated for about 6 months. I love it. Optimum themselves say you need not apply anything else once you have the coating, but I can't leave well enough alone. I have been experimenting with a few different things and so far the best product for me was Chemical Guys v7 applied after a wash. It's a spray on polymer sealant. Cheap enough to use after every wash (although have been using it every other or 3rd wash). Leaves a nice gloss and slick coating
    Turbo S - FBO
    Tuned Audi s6 11.461@120.34 sold
    86mph @ 17psi MoTeC powered Seadoo RXTX

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Hybrid v7 is one of a few quick detailer so use often, great stuff and thanks for the feedback.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

I alternate between using Optimum spray wax or their quick detailer when drying my car. It always looks nice and shiny.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nugs Click here to enlarge
    I alternate between using Optimum spray wax or their quick detailer when drying my car. It always looks nice and shiny.
    For some reason, possibly just my climate, the Optimum spray wax always leaves behind streaks or "ghosting"
    Since switching to the Hybrid V7, I don't have that issue any more
    Turbo S - FBO

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I have a question about this stuff - I have been reading a bit/seeing it on forums/etc. - but am trying to understand if it's possible to remove. I know the question would be "why remove it?" - but am just curious if this is a semi-permanent thing to do.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

You can remove it by "compounding" it out with a buffer and something like meguiars 105
    Turbo S - FBO

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ecpchris Click here to enlarge
    For some reason, possibly just my climate, the Optimum spray wax always leaves behind streaks or "ghosting"
    Since switching to the Hybrid V7, I don't have that issue any more
    Yeah the spray wax will do that on mine if the paint is hot. Need to wash and dry in the shade and let the bonnet cool down if I've been driving the car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I've had opti on my s5 for about three months and no issues. The s5 was my daily and I'd rack over 300 miles a week. Road grime, bugs, and other crap wash out pretty easily provided you wash it off in the same day.

Couple of things to watch out for when applying:
    1). If you accidentally rub it on glass, wipe it off immediately to prevent it from drying and having to compound it off. The 2.0 is not made for glass.

2). After you apply rubbing it in two directions, use a thick chamois to rub even high spots. Again, high spots not leveled that dry need to be compounded flat.

3). Use lots of product to get the best protection. The label tells you one syringe should do several cars, then watch the demo video and the guy is soaking the applicator pad with heavy doses of the stuff. I tried light and heavy on my new car (s6) and heavy is much better.

4). It does not hide defects; correct paint before applying for best results.

Summary, it works great and even will resist some light maring from not washing your car properly. That said, it is not durable like a wrap so don't expect it to repel rocks nor leave bugs or tree sap on for weeks in the hot sun and expect it to wipe right off.

Its worth the cash...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wmetzler01 Click here to enlarge
    I've had opti on my s5 for about three months and no issues. The s5 was my daily and I'd rack over 300 miles a week. Road grime, bugs, and other crap wash out pretty easily provided you wash it off in the same day.

Couple of things to watch out for when applying:
    1). If you accidentally rub it on glass, wipe it off immediately to prevent it from drying and having to compound it off. The 2.0 is not made for glass.

2). After you apply rubbing it in two directions, use a thick chamois to rub even high spots. Again, high spots not leveled that dry need to be compounded flat.

3). Use lots of product to get the best protection. The label tells you one syringe should do several cars, then watch the demo video and the guy is soaking the applicator pad with heavy doses of the stuff. I tried light and heavy on my new car (s6) and heavy is much better.

4). It does not hide defects; correct paint before applying for best results.

Summary, it works great and even will resist some light maring from not washing your car properly. That said, it is not durable like a wrap so don't expect it to repel rocks nor leave bugs or tree sap on for weeks in the hot sun and expect it to wipe right off.

Its worth the cash...
    Your experience is appreciated.

Why no thread on your S5?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lol - S5 was sold to make way for my new S6.

I've got a new batch of opti this weekend, I'll post some pic after the detail.

Holding out for APR stage 2 for this august, will be hard to hold back the urge to preserve the warranty.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wmetzler01 Click here to enlarge
    Holding out for APR stage 2 for this august, will be hard to hold back the urge to preserve the warranty.
    Warranties are overrated.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Warranties are overrated.
    Unless you need one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast