Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Can anyone define and explain over revs and the differnce between the stages of them?

What is the difference between stage 1 over rev?

stage 2 over rev?

stage 3 over rev?

stage 4 over rev?

how serious is each?

also i know the rev limiter stops the car from over rev'ing when accelerating so it is only possible on downshifts correct?

Thanks
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It depends on the car in question, all stages of over revs are not applicable to all cars.

The stages refer to how the ECU records it and it is displayed to the dealer. So if you have a Stage 3 over rev and are asking for some warranty work, you are in a bit of a predicament.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    using a manual gearbox e9x m3 for instance ... do you know what would make it stage 1, 2 , 3, or 4?
    Current:
    14 Viper TA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    using a manual gearbox e9x m3 for instance ... do you know what would make it stage 1, 2 , 3, or 4?
    Yes, the level of the overrev. I don't know what the break down is, but going 100 rpm over is not recorded in the same manner as 500 rpm over is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Yes, the level of the overrev. I don't know what the break down is, but going 100 rpm over is not recorded in the same manner as 500 rpm over is.
    Most serious over REVS happen in two ways.
    A.You miss a gear and go into neutral -usually no big deal as the limiter on the car will handle that pretty well.
    B.Miss a shift-Instead of going from 4th to 5th you go from 4th to 3rd-this mistake can take out valves.
    But I have never heard of it referred to in stages.
    Learned something today.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i was reading on 6speed and when people are buying used cars they have the ecu checked for over revs and they were refering to them in stages. I.E. - the carrera gt had a stage 4 over rev of 1 second which woulld mean X revolutions past rediline. Wanted to know how high a stage 4 would be and so on
    Current:
    14 Viper TA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd like to know this, too. I'd also like to know what constitutes an overrev. I hit the rev limiter when going from 2nd to 3rd gear the other day. Does that count? It wasn't an "over" rev given that redline was not exceeded. At least in my opinion.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Porsches count them in stages. For some reason they dont really mean $#@!..I had a 996 that pulled a 'level 4' over rev and nothing was wrong with it....beats me how sensitive they have these stages setup.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The stages are different on all the motors too. There was a breakdown posted for the 996 and 997 somewhere.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    On a 997 C2S they range from Stage 1-6.

Here is something I found:

A Type 1 is an over-rev condition that thru to engines own inertia or power stroke has exceeded redline and the DME has fired the ignition during above redline and the condition has recorded the individual firings. It also records the time (Total Hours) and is revised at each event.

A Type 2 is an over-rev condition when an external force has caused the engine to speed beyond the redline threshold such as down shifting to a lower gear and engine matches the rpm of the transmission input shaft.

The difference between the two may sound subtle, but is more involved.

In a Type 1 condition, such as when one misses and up-shift. The engine is in a free-wheeling state and the internal energy is acting on the rotating and reciprocating mass. The crankshaft is unloaded for a brief moment and there is still some force on the top of the piston during most of the 4 stroke cycle.

Type 2 conditions are not healthy for the rod and rod bolts, although there must be some design reserve before yield. When one down shifts to a gear which leads to an over-rev condition, there is little energy pushing down on the head of the piston to keep the rod in a compression mode. The crankshaft is pushing violently on the rod and then jerking the piston and rod assembly back towards the crank centerline. The rods are primarily designed for a compression mode, meaning forces enacted on the top of the piston and imparting energy into the crankshaft via the connecting rod. The connecting rods and bolts really don’t like the dynamics in a stretching mode and this condition leads to material yielding. This is the condition that causes the rod bolts to fail. They yield during the stretch. The connecting rod can also yield due to stretch, but that is seen more with Aluminum Connecting Rods.
    So what does a Type 6 overrev do? Probably sends you back in time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    interesting...ill have to find the rest
    Current:
    14 Viper TA