Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Exciting new BiTurbo developments from AMS /ALPHA Performance **PICS INSIDE**

Here is an engineering update about some exciting, soon to be released Alpha components for the M157 5.5L BiTurbo & M278 4.6L V-8 BiTurbo Mercedes-Benz line.

ALPHA Carbon Induction system

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

During dyno testing we found some big HP gains can be made from a custom designed turbo intake upgrade. We are currently working on the final design of the Alpha Carbon Induction System which consists of carbon fiber air boxes and carbon fiber intake tubes that will replace the stock air box in our E63 AMG. These will also fit all other models with the M157 engine, as well as the M278 engine found in the 500 and 550 class Mercedes. In addition to dressing up the engine bay, these carbon air boxes, coupled with the intake tubes, will open up the intake system by more than 30% over the stock system.

ALPHA Boost Cooler Upgrade package:

The high temperature of the intake charge on your Mercedes-Benz V-8 BiTurbo engine is the biggest bottleneck for performance. As you make multiple wide open runs in your AMG you quickly overwork the factory heat exchanger system and power output drops down significantly. To solve the biggest hindrance of power output, we are developing a unique package starting off with an auxiliary intercooler heat exchanger, that will supplement the stock system. In addition to the heat exchanger, it will include a large reservoir to increase the cooling capacity of the intercooler that DOES NOT mount in the trunk taking up valuable real estate or require any maintenance after installation.

This non-invasive, yet highly effective system for the E63 AMG (other BiTurbo models to follow) is designed to reduce the air intake temperatures which in turn increases the HP output of your M157. Best of all it will not require you to cut or drill holes to mount hardware, or run cumbersome lines underneath the vehicle like other options on the market.

The new Alpha Upgrade installs like an OEM unit and will require no further attention in the future. This system is a must for all M157 owners who want to perform basic engine modifications, especially those in warmer climates.

ALPHA Max-Flow Turbine Outlet Pipes (TOPS):

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

The factory turbine discharge pipes (the pipes that connect directly to the back of the turbo) were made to fit in the tight confines of the engine bay. The biggest drawback to this is their limited internal size which significantly increases back pressure and restricts power output. Thanks to our team of engineers and state of the art laser scanning equipment we have designed upgraded 3″ outlet pipes that are 50% larger than stock!

By casting the turbine outlet section, we are able to maximize the tight space allowed for this piping. By using three dimensions to make a higher volume, straighter path from the turbine housing to the downpipe itself, we achieved the best exhaust flow and power increases without sacrifice.

With a 100% cast stainless steel design they will not only offer big gains in flow and HP but also will fit as well and last as long or longer than an OEM piece. We retain the use of the factory top and bottom heat shielding in addition to a supplemental shield for maximum heat protection keeping this modification under the radar. These will fit models with the M157, as well as the M278 found in the 500 and 550 class Mercedes.

ALPHA V8 BiTurbo Downpipes:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

To keep the expelled turbine gasses moving down stream and complementing our Alpha Turbine Outlet Pipes, our Engineers are working on a upgraded set of downpipes. These 3 stainless steel pipes will not only increase HP significantly but wake up that quiet exhaust note. These will fit models with the M157, as well as the M278 engine found in the 500 and 550 class Mercedes.

All comments and questions welcomed

Eric

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Damn that's nice. Can we get some carbon turbo inlet tubes for the N54 plz Click here to enlarge
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Sick stuff, AMS is really branching out there with the 997 & Mercedes BiTurbo Alpha packages..... Nothing against them tho, I'd stick with Weistec/RENNtech for AMG mods & Protomotive/BBi if I was doing Porsche mods
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^^That being said, options are never a bad thing & AMS can def offer some research that neither of those companies can (pretty sure they're working on a billet block for the GTR)
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Thanks guys, the companies before us like renntech and weistec certainly earned their place in the market. I think you will find over time though that our products stand above the rest. We built our company on the quality, fit, finish, performance and reliability of our products. We take a great deal of pride in them.

Eric

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Are these pieces actually made already ? Looks like they are just CAD pictures...Also, you mention the Mercedes 500 and 550 engines...I wasn't aware that Mercedes still made a motor designated 500 - my understanding is that they are all now 550's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    Are these pieces actually made already ? Looks like they are just CAD pictures...Also, you mention the Mercedes 500 and 550 engines...I wasn't aware that Mercedes still made a motor designated 500 - my understanding is that they are all now 550's.
    Theyre still labeled as 500 in some countries in Europe same 4.7 TT motor different name

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Promoted to the front page with intro paragraph and formatting changes:

Here is an update from AMS Performance regarding Alpha products in the pipeline for the Mercedes-Benz M157 and M278 twin turbo direct injected V8's. There is an Alpha Carbon Fiber airbox that will fit both the M157 and M278 motors. An intercooler upgrade currently slated for just the M157 is also under development. A downpipe upgrade will fit both the M157 and M278 which is great news considering the integrated cats suck a lock of power.

Full details along with pictures from AMS below.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ezec63 Click here to enlarge
    Theyre still labeled as 500 in some countries in Europe same 4.7 TT motor different name
    Exactly still 500 in Europe and other places and 550 in the USA.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ALPHA Performance Click here to enlarge
    Thanks guys, the companies before us like renntech and weistec certainly earned their place in the market. I think you will find over time though that our products stand above the rest. We built our company on the quality, fit, finish, performance and reliability of our products. We take a great deal of pride in them. Eric
    Great products would love to see some dynos / track times ! Any plan on upgrading the MCT Transmission ? I doubt it can hold the power with these upgrades plus upgraded turbos

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ezec63 Click here to enlarge
    Great products would love to see some dynos / track times ! Any plan on upgrading the MCT Transmission ? I doubt it can hold the power with these upgrades plus upgraded turbos
    The transmission will have to be addressed at some point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thank you everyone! Not to worry full testing will be done and disclosed on all of these products just like we do with everything we make.

Also the transmission program is already WELL underway. Building 2000hp GT-R's taught us a great deal about what these transmission call for. The good news is at least the stock trans is going to be fine for a full tilt ALPHA 9 setup making about 700-740 whp or awhp from what we have seen after breaking things down in the trans.

Eric

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ALPHA Performance Click here to enlarge
    Thanks guys, the companies before us like renntech and weistec certainly earned their place in the market. I think you will find over time though that our products stand above the rest. We built our company on the quality, fit, finish, performance and reliability of our products. We take a great deal of pride in them.

Eric
    If you guys are looking for someone to showcase your goods on a 550, we should talk Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice looking products.
    I see that the downpipes fit the M157 & M278 500/550 and understand why that might work for the sedans, but
    will the downpipes for the M278 fit the E 500/550 Coupe?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @ALPHA Performance,
    Can you guys do a differential swap? Maybe I can drive up and have some other work done at the same time.... My installer fell through about 5 minutes ago.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nawlinstornado Click here to enlarge
    @ALPHA Performance,
    Can you guys do a differential swap? Maybe I can drive up and have some other work done at the same time.... My installer fell through about 5 minutes ago.
    I see no reason why they could not.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

From what we can see the downpipes will fit the E500/550.

For the differential swap please email me at eric@amsperformance.com we have done a few already

Eric

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

For the differential swap please email me at eric@amsperformance.com we have done a few already

Eric
    Email sent.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I dont think I got your email. I didnt see anything in my inbox about a differential.

Eric

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Thanks for posting.
    I hope AMS is ready to apply these same mods to the upcoming redesigned C63. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I dont think I got your email. I didnt see anything in my inbox about a differential.

Eric
    @nawlinstornado

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @ALPHA Performance,

I sent it Wednesday at 11:56am eastern to the email address you provided above (eric@amsperformance.com). The email would have come from a .mil address, but it may have ended up in your junk filter.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nawlinstornado Click here to enlarge
    @ALPHA Performance,

I sent it Wednesday at 11:56am eastern to the email address you provided above (eric@amsperformance.com). The email would have come from a .mil address, but it may have ended up in your junk filter.
    @nawlinstornado did you get a reply?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    @nawlinstornado did you get a reply?
    Nope. Not yet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

@ALPHA Performance,
    I still haven't received a response, so I'm assuming that you never found my email. No worries, I've already scheduled my diff install with At Speed.

I'm very interested in all the parts you listed as fitting on the M278 (intake, outlet pipes, down pipes, and intercooler upgrade). When are these going to be available? Have you guys settled on pricing yet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast