Close

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,904
    Rep Points
    31,882.8
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No

    Ok, so here is the full Autocar 991 Turbo S versus McLaren MP4-12C drag race video

    So the other day Autocar put this same video you will see below up only to take it down quickly. Well, before they took it down someone managed to make gif's of the race outcome. As those gif's circulated the internet it seems Autocar decided they might as well put the video back up since their McLaren MP4-12C and 991 Turbo S drag was being viewed one way or another with no possible way to pull down all the gif's on all the websites in the world before people saw them.

    Click here to enlarge

    Yes, the road is very narrow and this is not what one would consider a safe drag race despite the road being empty. Obviously if one is to drag race it should be done at a dedicated drag strip offering greater width, safety barriers, and safety crews.

    The 991 Turbo S is stated as being 377 pounds heavier than the McLaren MP4-12C. Additionally, on paper it is rated at 64 less horsepower. On that same paper this should be an easy win for the McLaren. Paper does not race though, cars do.

    The launch of both cars is somewhat odd. They seem to be babied out of the hole and then they get on it once moving. No revs are heard before they "launch." Was launch control used? It does not look like it. It also appears to be a very short race without the McLaren getting a chance to stretch its legs.

    Does this video really show the capability of both of these cars in a drag race? Not really. Narrow road, no launch control, short run favoring all wheel drive, etc. Come to your own conclusion.


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Louisville ky
    Posts
    716
    Rep Points
    551.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Ehh drag races like this are almost pointless. It looked like poor road conditions so the all whelk drive will hook up and take off better than the rear ever could. Take these car to a drag strip and it may be a really close race. At the end of the day te mclaren is a track car that can be drivin on be street and this 911 is a street car that can be tracked so on public roads the 911 wins 9times out of 10
    E46 323i-rip
    e46325ci- sold
    e85 z4-sold
    e46-m3-ripClick here to enlarge
    fj cruiser- sold
    e90 325i-sold
    e30 325i vert-current
    http://theworstdrug.com/25

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,904
    Rep Points
    31,882.8
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G0TB00ST? Click here to enlarge
    Ehh drag races like this are almost pointless. It looked like poor road conditions so the all whelk drive will hook up and take off better than the rear ever could. Take these car to a drag strip and it may be a really close race. At the end of the day te mclaren is a track car that can be drivin on be street and this 911 is a street car that can be tracked so on public roads the 911 wins 9times out of 10
    You can live with both of them everyday and the McLaren is actually quite comfortable and the suspension is likely even softer. It's a true everyday supercar.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    515
    Rep Points
    621.9
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You can live with both of them everyday and the McLaren is actually quite comfortable and the suspension is likely even softer. It's a true everyday supercar.
    Carbon fiber tub, active hydraulic body control (making for an exceptionally smooth ride in comfort mode), blistering strait line speed, shoots flames, ect....

    It doesn't get much better.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    London and USA
    Posts
    2,061
    Rep Points
    1,444.9
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DFM Click here to enlarge
    Carbon fiber tub, active hydraulic body control (making for an exceptionally smooth ride in comfort mode), blistering strait line speed, shoots flames, ect....

    It doesn't get much better.

    A++ Click here to enlarge
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive


    Click here to enlarge



  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Park Ridge, IL
    Posts
    233
    Rep Points
    16.8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    The Turbo S sounds like a toy when they rev their engines to show off their exhaust. That MP4 just sounds amazing.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    1,104
    Rep Points
    1,398.3
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SLV335I Click here to enlarge
    The Turbo S sounds like a toy when they rev their engines to show off their exhaust. That MP4 just sounds amazing.
    I know mine sounds much like a angry vacuum cleaner..
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •