Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Unless I am mistaken the president can declare was for 60 days. You can do a TON of damage in 60 days and get yourself into a situation you can't 'easily or comfortably' get out of. I think he gets to prep all he wants and then congress has 60 days to get their ducks in a row and stop it...

I really hope Americans will not allow us to go to war again with no proof of WMDs or danger to American lives/way of life.

The "war" in iraq was only three weeks. Post Occupation is where the trouble really started!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    If they were ready to attack Iran I'm sure they would put out a report on their regime having chemical weapons, nukes, or that they club baby seals in their spare time. Then they would charge in and look for the evidence after the accusation.

I don't get it all. I don't know why they are pressing so hard for this. I don't even understand how they can prep for a war before even having congressional approval. The system isn't working.
    Well, they are working toward Iran, as Israel is threatening to pull the trigger and bomb the sites. And if Israel goes, then I guess USA is in too and they will come up with reasons as they go along.

I guess if we were in congress we can find out the military suppliers contracts ahead of time and invest in their stock. In either case congress members cannot be tried for insider trading I think, plus who will pursue if everyone is doing it? War makes money for them.

What does not make sense is that even if chemical weapon was used, and 300 people died, let's send all of our troops in, bomb everything suspect and kill some more people. In the end there will be many more dead.

If I was in Syrian opposition, wonder if that was the only way to push their agenda and topple Assad? You would "sacrifice" few, for the good of the all? As now it would look like Assad used chemical weapons, west will believe it and in the end opposition wins?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onisyndicate Click here to enlarge
    The "war" in iraq was only three weeks. Post Occupation is where the trouble really started!
    Yep, and after all of that is it actually better? I wonder if it was worth the cost?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by litxus Click here to enlarge
    Yep, and after all of that is it actually better? I wonder if it was worth the cost?
    $#@! no.

We spent a $#@! load of money that we didn't have. We killed more Iraqis in a few years then Saddam did in his entire 'evil' reign. The average Iraqi's life is far worse off now than before. While we didn't lose many American lives compared to the Iraqi losses the damage will go on for a LONG time. PTSD, all the IEDs that crippled American soldiers, the debt, the on going costs on our Military and Social services.

Oh and guess what, no WMD found. What a $#@!ing fail. Heads should roll.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Unless I am mistaken the president can declare was for 60 days. You can do a TON of damage in 60 days and get yourself into a situation you can't 'easily or comfortably' get out of. I think he gets to prep all he wants and until the 1st 'bullet' is fired that war hasn't started. Then congress has 60 days to get their ducks in a row and stop it...

I really hope Americans will not allow us to go to war again with no proof of WMDs or danger to American lives/way of life.
    He can just declare war for 60 days? I haven't heard that but maybe I'm wrong?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    He can just declare war for 60 days? I haven't heard that but maybe I'm wrong?
    War Powers Resolution of 1973 The War Powers Resolution requires the President to notify Congress within 48 hours of committing armed forces to military action and forbids armed forces from remaining for more than 60 days, with a further 30 day withdrawal period, without an authorization of the use of military force or a declaration of war.

Powers Resolution has been violated in the past by President Reagan in regards to the aid to theContras in Nicaragua and by President Clinton in 1999, during the bombing campaign in Kosovo. All incidents have had congressional disapproval, but none have had any successful legal actions taken against the president for violations.

During the Korean and Vietnam wars, the United States found itself involved for many years in situations of intense conflict without a declaration of war. Hence why they were called conflicts and not wars...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Powers_Resolution

So basically 90 days he can send forces over, after 60 they have to start withdrawing...least that is how I read it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    War Powers Resolution of 1973 The War Powers Resolution requires the President to notify Congress within 48 hours of committing armed forces to military action and forbids armed forces from remaining for more than 60 days, with a further 30 day withdrawal period, without an authorization of the use of military force or a declaration of war.

Powers Resolution has been violated in the past by President Reagan in regards to the aid to theContras in Nicaragua and by President Clinton in 1999, during the bombing campaign in Kosovo. All incidents have had congressional disapproval, but none have had any successful legal actions taken against the president for violations.

During the Korean and Vietnam wars, the United States found itself involved for many years in situations of intense conflict without a declaration of war. Hence why they were called conflicts and not wars...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Powers_Resolution

So basically 90 days he can send forces over, after 60 they have to start withdrawing...least that is how I read it.
    I don't know. Congress is signing a petition that any action without their approval would be a violation of the Constitution: http://www.bustle.com/articles/4339-...ss-approves-it

So maybe the U.S. won't strike Syria Thursday.

Dozens of House Reps, including Speaker of the House John Boehner, have published an open letter to President Obama, none-too-shyly informing him that if he approves military intervention without running it by Congress, he'll be breaking federal law. They're referring to a pesky 1973 law entitled the War Powers Resolution, which forbids the President to jump into conflict without running it past Congress first.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't understand how they can just do whatever the $#@! they want...

The United States reserves the option to go it alone on a possible military strike against Syria, the White House signaled late Thursday, after Britain’s parliament rejected going to war.

“As we’ve said, President Obama’s decision-making will be guided by what is in the best interests of the United States,” National Security Council Spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden said in a statement. “He believes that there are core interests at stake for the United States and that countries who violate international norms regarding chemical weapons need to be held accountable.”

http://news.yahoo.com/-u-s--ready-to...225630546.html

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Crazy

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That sucks. Was hoping he would try to bypass congress and get impeached for doing so lol.

We dont need to be there. There is one main oil pipeline going from iraq to syria, who knows maybe they want all that too?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    That sucks. Was hoping he would try to bypass congress and get impeached for doing so lol.
    There is not much of a precedent for that in recent history.

It's not just the President either. John McCain is so anxious to get in there and blow $#@! up, he doesn't want to agree to action in Syria unless the US has the clear objective to overthrow Assad.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...mendment-assad

The rebels are an amalgamated mess of secular and non-secular groups. If Assad goes, what then. Who are the only groups in the region with enough organization to take over the country? Remember how well democracy worked in Egypt?

I wonder what all the defense industry lobbyists have to say about action in Syria.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge

We dont need to be there. There is one main oil pipeline going from iraq to syria, who knows maybe they want all that too?
    ���� I thought the same thing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    There is not much of a precedent for that in recent history.

It's not just the President either. John McCain is so anxious to get in there and blow $#@! up, he doesn't want to agree to action in Syria unless the US has the clear objective to overthrow Assad.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...mendment-assad

The rebels are an amalgamated mess of secular and non-secular groups. If Assad goes, what then. Who are the only groups in the region with enough organization to take over the country? Remember how well democracy worked in Egypt?

I wonder what all the defense industry lobbyists have to say about action in Syria.
    Old man McCain needs to go the $#@! away.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Old man McCain needs to go the $#@! away.
    I've lost big time respect for him the last couple days.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    old man McCain has ties to all of the ammunition companies.

On a side note I read a thing on how there are two natural gas pipelines being built heading to europe. One from isreal and the other one from turkey and since we "control" Iraq. Syria is the last stop we need to control to stop the "Islamic" pipeline.

Does it sound familiar?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hm. Well we did go in and take iraqs oil, so maybe we want to take control their natural gas then?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Iraq is supposed to be the next Kuwait to bad an Iranian back jihad is destroying that country again!

Also if we struck Syria and topple Assad we'd need around 75k in troops on the ground to secure the chemical weapons so they don't fall into the hands of the approximate 25k Radical Jihadists in the Syrian free army.

So I don't know what is going to happen.

On a side note Obama became president to stop wars! Not win them or get involved in them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Im glad Russia has 'sided' with Syria. Hopefully that will tie Barack Hussein's hands enough to do nothing. This whole scheme might just be him covering his dumb ass anyways.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/put...ked-2013-09-06
    Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12