Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Tuning my S63, want honest input on various tuners

Hey everyone..... I'm looking for honest full disclosure info on tunes you have or have had on your S63 or E63 Biturbo. I know vendors have their "cheerleaders" and that's totally cool. What I'm looking for is have you guys had any CEL's or Limp Mode issues? Most people, I've found being a vendor myself on other forums, don't disclose the full story. They only post up the positives and not the negatives. I'm not looking to make my S an all out race car. I'm not looking to swap turbos, do a tranny upgrade, swap in a LSD..... I just want to do a tune, spark plugs, and maybe air filters. I've contacted a few companies and they all say no codes and yada yada yada.... yet I've read on other forums about people having these issues. I
    just looking for straight forward and honest answers. Thanks in advance y'all.
    2012 Mercedes S63.... lowered, 22" Vossen CV3's, tune and times coming soon.

2007 Jeep GC SRT8 Turbo.... too much to list.
    8.95 @ 156.99

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Go with Weistec, they have the most experience with these cars of any tuner. I have not heard of anyone having CEL issues with a tune only car. I run their tune on my M156 Black Series and it's perfect. No issues whatsoever.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    Go with Weistec, they have the most experience with these cars of any tuner. I have not heard of anyone having CEL issues with a tune only car. I run their tune on my M156 Black Series and it's perfect. No issues whatsoever.
    Thank you for replying. I will check their site out again. Kinda glanced over it a bit this morning.

I live a few hours north of Renntech and have thought of running down there one day. Anyone have any thoughts about them?

8.95 @ 156.99

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Here's a feature on both cars tuning the same motor
    Weistec's E63

RENNtech's CLS63

Weistec has done phenomenal things for the M156, but IMO it's too early to say either is a clear winner on modifying the M157. Regardless, both of them will give you a very polished product, so for you it might come down to customer service (Weistec is in CA, RENNtech is out of FL)
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Can't go wrong with Renntech either especially if they are close to you. But if you are just looking for an ECU tune, the M157 ECU is VERY easy to remove and send to Weistec. Probably looking at 2 days turnaround time. Either way you can't go wrong.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

5 out of 5 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    In all honesty, I'm probably going to buy a spare ECU and have that tuned. You never know what can happen. Lol. I'll be glad to always have my stock one to go back to.

I hate being a noob today. Wish I could give you guys some Rep. points. Appreciate the answers.

8.95 @ 156.99

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TurboJeep Click here to enlarge
    In all honesty, I'm probably going to buy a spare ECU and have that tuned. You never know what can happen. Lol. I'll be glad to always have my stock one to go back to.

I hate being a noob today. Wish I could give you guys some Rep. points. Appreciate the answers.
    Repped.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Thank you for replying. I will check their site out again. Kinda glanced over it a bit this morning.

I live a few hours north of Renntech and have thought of running down there one day. Anyone have any thoughts about them?
    This is exactly what I was going to say. Since Renntech is local they make a lot of sense for you.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with @Weistec , Renntech ( @m54b25 ) , or AMS ( @ALPHA Performance ).

These are the three pushing the M157 right now and all three happen to be here.

It depends what your goals are. Just a tune, turbo upgrade, etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Thanks again for the info. I am leaning towards Renntech because they are only 4 hours away from me. Again, my goal isn't too nuts. Mostly just a tune and maybe removing the secondary cat or first muffler whatever it's called. Pretty sure I'm going to do the plugs and air filters too but that's about it. I've still got 94K miles of warranty left. Lol. I'd still like to keep it.

8.95 @ 156.99

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Thanks again for the info. I am leaning towards Renntech because they are only 4 hours away from me. Again, my goal isn't too nuts. Mostly just a tune and maybe removing the secondary cat or first muffler whatever it's called. Pretty sure I'm going to do the plugs and air filters too but that's about it. I've still got 94K miles of warranty left. Lol. I'd still like to keep it.
    That's very logical and if you look in the M157 engine section you will see many Renntech threads so you can get an idea of what they offer.

A tune is a great place to start on this motor and offers BIG gains.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Get the tune, filters and down pipes from weistec for probably the same cost as a Renntech tune...

I'm not even joking.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    There are no secondary cats in the M157. Each downpipe has two catyltic converters (pre and post) on a single metal di catyltic metal. If you wanted to move one of them, you would have to move both

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

In that case I can understand why Weistec says so much engineering went into their DP's.

It seems the M278/M278 guys will really benefit from a manifold upgrade.