Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Tuned 2012 BMW 335i vs 2013 Cadillac ATS by D3! - Head 2 Head Ep. 39

On this episode of Head 2 Head, Motor Trend's Mike Febbo pits two tuners against each other. In one corner, the BMW 335i loaded with an M3 performance kit. In the opposing corner, the Cadillac ATS tuned by D3. Because both cars are modified, Mike seeks out third party analysis from European Auto Source. Following a dyno session, the contenders head out for some dynamic testing & real world driving impressions. Do the combined forces of Cadillac & D3 have what it takes to out-tune the German powerhouse that is BMW's M division? Find out on this episode.

This is why i subscribe to the Motor Trend Channel on you tube. It gives me great info on stuff I might consider doing!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

The ATS is nice.... just looks to "old person caddilac" for me still. Its annoying, I want to like it, but it doesnt' have the curb appeal the bmw does, or even the audi's and mercs these days.

The "tuned" 335 is actually just the bmw powerkit, which gives only 30 or so crank hp...so not much of a tune, but to be fair supposedly the ats doesn't have any increased hp either.

It seems to me bmw has "toned down" the current gen 335, its less of a performer than the e9x 335. Maybe that's to make room for a ///M335? Or to increase the gap for the new m3/m4. If I were in the market, i'd buy a e92 335 over the current gen for sure.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I don't like the ATS I didn't even like the CTS or even the -V. I gave respect to the V. But I remember when It came out and Chevy was saying they created an M5 killer. But it was a super charged lsa motor. Not a N/A LS7. Oh well. I'd still take the e92 335 over either or the 135i cause it is lighter!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    When I was shopping for a new car I looked at the ATS and CTS (with the larger motor options). In the end, neither could hold a candle to the overall package I got in my e90 335. And that was before I new about all the tuning potential of the N54. I just happened to luck out, but I'm over the moon with all the modding options of the N54. And on that note, I also believe that BMW mellowed the current 3 series compared to the e9x models.
    2010 E90 335i xDrive
    JB4 G5 ISO | BMS DCI | BMS OCC | Alpina Flash | LED Angel Eyes | Matte Black Kidney Grills | growing list....