Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

I need HELP near West Virgina (Morgantown)

Well to make a long story short, picked up the new shop car had a blast at bimmerfest and started the trek back today. Got 500 miles or so out and the water pump took a $#@! on me. Barely makes any noise and bottom hose stays cold car overheats almost immediately. Needless to say I'm pretty frustrated. Anyone local that can swap a water pump for me or let me know who can do it for me. I would say the range I can drive is 5 maybe 10 miles. Don't want to hurt the engine. Anyone who is near here let me know. I can offer a discount on some turbos as an incentive of that's helps at all. Text me 510 329 7683 or email me.

Thanks in advance!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Sucks... Sure it's just not the 50amp fuse? Maybe if you hard wire the water pump to the battery you can get it working well enough to limp home. If the DME senses too much current being pulled it shuts it down (I think) but just because it's not operating efficiently doesn't mean it can't operate to move enough water to cool the engine during cruise.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't see much in that area but a few NAPA parts stores. You are 4 hours away from Tischer BMW which is one of the best BMW parts and service departments in the country. Only other thing I see is a place called:

All BMW Parts - Bavarian Auto Recycling Inc.
    Serving the WV Area.
    (877) 310-0804

NAPA Auto Parts - Morgan Auto Parts
    275 Don Knotts Blvd, Morgantown, WV
    304-296-4468

NAPA Auto Parts - Morgan Auto & Truck Parts
    1712 Mileground Rd, Morgantown, WV
    304-296-3626

NAPA Auto Parts - Morgan Auto Parts
    1820 Sturgiss Ave, Morgantown, WV
    304-296-4084

Hope you get some luck finding a local member. May be worth posting on some of the other boards. One member on e90 in morgantown named hsleiman
    Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (DO12/Aquamist Flow Sensor), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design Downpipes, BSH Catch Can, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

I Checked the one 40 amp fuse that has the fan symbol. Is there a seperate one for the WP? Lets know which one it is. I think I'm just screwed. Gonna have to ship car home an fly or next day a pump and have it changed locally, then start my journey back. Lame.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Tony -

So sorry! I don't know anyone near that area. And I just did a google search and came up dry.

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

The fuse is the 50 amp fuse in the DME box. you need a 7 or 8 mm nut driver to get the box.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

If you're able to get in the box you can make a jumper wire with some #10 or so and a male spade connector and rind terminal. you can then run 12vdc directly to the pump from the battery positive post on the strut tower. I'm not sure if this would work or not, but if you have the resources available to make a little jumper, I'd try it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

This was my car, and I feel absolutely horrible that this has happened. I replaced the thermostat in november, and if I had an issue with the waterpump I would have replaced it as well. If you want, I can drive the 5 hours and see if we can get this jumper to work.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Also, for cars 3/2007 on (N54 335), there appears to be a fuse in the junction box behind the glove box in addition to the fuse in the DME box.

Not sure of year or model of your car but assuming after 3/2007 build N54 335 then in the engine box with the ECU, its the big 50 amp fuse at the front left of the box if you are standing at the front passenger side of the car (F07). I think it is 40 amp for earlier than 3/2007. If the car is built from 3/2007 to 9/2007 then the junction box fuse is F78 location 30 Amp. After 9/2007 then it is F37 in the junction box (same physical location for both year ranges), also 30 amp. In addition to the coolant pump the junction box fuse also controls Camshaft sensors, coolant thermostat, ECM, Vanos valves, and Wastegate Valves. If the car was produced before 3/2007 I don't see that it would have a second fuse in the junction box for the coolant pump.
    Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (DO12/Aquamist Flow Sensor), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design Downpipes, BSH Catch Can, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have diagrams if you want them, let me know and I can email.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

I checked all fuses and hotwired the pump. No difference the pump runs the same speed and noise as with the regulated voltage which tells me its gone. I should be able to get a pump Tuesday morning.
    Last edited by Tony@VargasTurboTech; 07-21-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bobby Rahal BMW is about an hour away.

http://www.bobbyrahalbmw.com/index.htm

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Bummer. At least once it's fixed you won't have to worry about it possibly crapping out on the rest of the trip. If you need anything, let me know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Ugh that sucks, I'm still on my original water pump, I may change it out when I install the vtt's, hope everything works out Tony!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

That sux. I hope you get it all fixed up. I was stranded in the middle of nowhere when mine went out. Make sure you bleed the coolant system after you replace the pump. Key in the ignition, power on, hold accelerator pedal down for 10 seconds and you will hear the pump start running. Takes about 15 minutes to complete. Do it twice for good measure. Start the car between bleeds as you will run the battery down. Top off coolant between bleeds as well.
    2008 BSM 335i coupe - JB4, BMS intake, meth : Weekend warrior.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by indy99gpgt Click here to enlarge
    That sux. I hope you get it all fixed up. I was stranded in the middle of nowhere when mine went out. Make sure you bleed the coolant system after you replace the pump. Key in the ignition, power on, hold accelerator pedal down for 10 seconds and you will hear the pump start running. Takes about 15 minutes to complete. Do it twice for good measure. Start the car between bleeds as you will run the battery down. Top off coolant between bleeds as well.
    Power but no ignition, the HEAT needs to be at FULL and the fan needs to be at its lowest speed, mash pedal for 10 secs, 15 mins to complete. Tank cap screwed close and bleed screw open.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    Power but no ignition, the HEAT needs to be at FULL and the fan needs to be at its lowest speed, mash pedal for 10 secs, 15 mins to complete. Tank cap screwed close and bleed screw open.
    I have the factory procedure right here. It doesn't say anything about opening the bleeder. I did the procedure like 3 times today praying somehow I got air in there. No luck. Hotel in Morgantown. Woo Hoo!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

well I cant help, Im sorry.

but how was bimmerfest?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Hotel in Morgantown. Woo Hoo!!!
    Thats the beauty of being on the road. You sometimes wind up with interesting stories Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I sent you an email I have a spare pump in Pittsburgh, about an hour north on 79.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    I sent you an email I have a spare pump in Pittsburgh, about an hour north on 79.
    Now that's a good man!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Back on the road! Huge thanks to @jake@protuningfreaks!!! He had a shop that owed him a favor about 100 miles away. I called AAA they picked me up stopped at the dealer who honored shop price on the pump and coolant and took me to the shop. Threw it up on the lift, they loaned me
    some work clothes, and I got it swapped in right around 2 hours. Slipped the shop owner a Hundo and I was on my way. Cross swap an N54 water pump in rural West Virgina off my bucket list....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Nice!
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Ha, good thing you didn't run into any guys playing banjos.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Great! BTW, it was terrific hanging with you at Bimmerfest and hope that the rest of your journey is less challenging!

Neil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast