Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Added some color to my Titanium Stud conversion

I really wanted to add some color to my titanium stud conversion and the first time I torched them they didnt turn out the best. I contacted "TEE" and he gave me some great advice. I got a bench grinder with polishing pads and some white polishing compound (Stick NOT liquid) and polished all bolts until they where literally chrome looking LOL!! PITIA!! The studs came out great!! I think the 1st time didnt go well becuse there was a residue because all turned out better after getting them polished. Also I noticed if you get the titanium to hot the color goes away.

Here are the results...bif thanks to "TEE" for his help!

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

This torch head was a godsend...much faster LOL!!

Click here to enlarge
    JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

That looks awesome the advice is to polish first then torch?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    That looks awesome the advice is to polish first then torch?
    yes, for sure...if you don't the color didn't come out...when touching you will see the purple and blue come out then back off and go to next section. Make sure to also do the stud and lug separate.
    JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Lol I could see myself welding stuff together trying to do this. BTW They look awesome!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    Lol I could see myself welding stuff together trying to do this. BTW They look awesome!
    lol! I got them red hot! They add a bit of color for sure!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Beautiful. They look awesome.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Be extra careful... I've seen these completely shear on a car and the wheel just took off.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tonester Click here to enlarge
    Be extra careful... I've seen these completely shear on a car and the wheel just took off.
    The Ti ones sheer off? Arent they supposed to be stronger than steel?
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    The Ti ones sheer off? Arent they supposed to be stronger than steel?
    Titanium is about half the weight of steel. Certain alloys can have strength exceeding the steel alloy used in class 12.9 (the strongest) metric fasteners. Titanium is also extremely corrosion resistant.

For something like wheel studs, I'd be more concerned about fatigue than I would be with something like strength. Without knowing the grade/alloy of the titanium used in the studs, it's hard to compare it to something like class 12.9 steel.

@robc1976 were your studs heat treated when you bought them?

They look awesome, by the way.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Extreme heat changes the properties of all metals. They are heated and cooled in specific cycles at specific intervals to get the desired strength vs elasticity they need. I would be very very concerned with taking something as important as wheel studs and heating them up red hot for something as arbitrary as to get some color on them. You have essentially changed the properties of the metal. They do this on the ends of tailpipes etc because I will admit it looks cool as $#@!. But the end of a tail pipe isn't holding the wheels on your car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tonester Click here to enlarge
    I had steel break also....I think it was cheap steel...not sure. These studs the maker has had on many cars with no issues for years....but you should always be careful.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by robc1976 Click here to enlarge
    I had steel break also....I think it was cheap steel...not sure. These studs the maker has had on many cars with no issues for years....but you should always be careful.
    on the stud I just got the very tip hot then cooled immediately. Lugs turned before getting red hot.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    Titanium is about half the weight of steel. Certain alloys can have strength exceeding the steel alloy used in class 12.9 (the strongest) metric fasteners. Titanium is also extremely corrosion resistant.

For something like wheel studs, I'd be more concerned about fatigue than I would be with something like strength. Without knowing the grade/alloy of the titanium used in the studs, it's hard to compare it to something like class 12.9 steel.

@robc1976 were your studs heat treated when you bought them?

They look awesome, by the way.
    I am changing studs every year more than likely....I will find it I'd they where heat treated....I am sure they where. I know lots of people use these abs have had no problems so that makes me feel better lol!

What do you mean by fatigue?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by robc1976 Click here to enlarge
    I am changing studs every year more than likely....I will find it I'd they where heat treated....I am sure they where. I know lots of people use these abs have had no problems so that makes me feel better lol!

What do you mean by fatigue?
    Fatigue as it pertains to materials science is the damage caused by cyclic loading of a material. So when you turn left, your front right tire/wheel/hub/studs are loaded. Then when you turn right, they are unloaded. Braking and accelerating would load the studs as well.

Think of it like bending a paper clip back and forth. This back and forth causes tiny cracks to develop, once enough cracks have developed the part will fail catastrophically.

Like steel, not all titanium is made equally, as there are many alloys. Without knowing which alloy is used it is hard to say if you would be better off with titanium or steel. Also like steel, some titanium alloys do not fatigue unless loaded past a certain point. This would be the fatigue limit of the material. I would guess the studs will not be loaded past this point in your application, unless you are screaming around a track or doing a lot of hard launches with really sticky tires, and even then I'm not sure.

If the guy you bought them from was reputable, I would think you'll be fine. However if the titanium was heat treated, torching them to red hot to get the coloring effect would be detrimental to the desired grain structure and thus the properties of the material.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    Beautiful. They look awesome.
    I really like them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    Fatigue as it pertains to materials science is the damage caused by cyclic loading of a material. So when you turn left, your front right tire/wheel/hub/studs are loaded. Then when you turn right, they are unloaded. Braking and accelerating would load the studs as well.

Think of it like bending a paper clip back and forth. This back and forth causes tiny cracks to develop, once enough cracks have developed the part will fail catastrophically.

Like steel, not all titanium is made equally, as there are many alloys. Without knowing which alloy is used it is hard to say if you would be better off with titanium or steel. Also like steel, some titanium alloys do not fatigue unless loaded past a certain point. This would be the fatigue limit of the material. I would guess the studs will not be loaded past this point in your application, unless you are screaming around a track or doing a lot of hard launches with really sticky tires, and even then I'm not sure.

If the guy you bought them from was reputable, I would think you'll be fine. However if the titanium was heat treated, torching them to red hot to get the coloring effect would be detrimental to the desired grain structure and thus the properties of the material.
    You always have such great posts! I got some info from ryan and copied a post of his from 2011. Also others have done the same to these bolts and no problems even with heavy burnouts, tracking, auto crossing. Ryan did state to let them go thru a heat cycle then re-Torque them.

Here is the info:

Ryan had new testing and and it's more like 9.1 or 9.2. He stated the "8.8 SAE grade comparison" is not exact.
    Post from Ryan 2011 and the (8.8 is not exact, it is more like 9.1 or 9.2)

this material is Grade 5 6AL4V, and I've got strength and yield test results, and have done some independent verification as well. Tensile came it at 915MPa, which is I believe around 130,000 PSI(My best approximation - materials scientists, please chime in if I'm way off here). So that would put it at about as good or better as a metric grade 8.8 bolt. Yield came in at 870, Which puts it at somewhere around 120,000 PSI. Rockwell hardness I've had tested at 2 different facilities, and averages 36, I believe the difference there is due to the different testing equipment and technique.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

You can have all the theory in the world, but real world testing really talks. You most likely have nothing to worry about, so don't be alarmed. I just wanted to point out that you have to be careful when heating metals, because the physical properties can change, unless the metal was normalized to begin with.

This is why people are cautious about powder coating forged wheels. The forging process creates a very specific grain pattern in the metal that cannot be achieved by casting and results in a stronger piece that can now be made lighter. However, this grain pattern can be erased by recrystallization. Powder coating involves baking on the coating at 350F or so for a half hour or so. Aluminum recrystallizes at a very low temperature relative to other metals. So low, that recrystallization can occur during the powder curing process. So don't powder coat your forged aluminum wheels! Click here to enlarge

Grade 5 titanium is a very well characterized material, and there is a ton of info on it online. Have a look sometime.
    Eppur si muove.