Close

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    56
    Rep Points
    83.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No

    e8x/e9x Fortune Auto Coilovers

    Hey guys.

    I'm working with Martin Motorsports and Fortune Auto to really nail down their new product line for the e8x/e9x chassis. They give you total options for spring rates, valving (street, strip, track, autoX), and ride height (stock-like, lowered, stanced).

    Just curious to see what all the community is interested in, so I can make sure that we have some representation in the development process.

    Additionally, Gary @ Martin Motorsports is willing to offer some discounts for those that get in early.

    Right now my big suggestions were:
    -Front travel needs to remain, even though most will drop their car substantially
    -Valving from 350-500f/700-850r spring rates
    -Rebound Adjustable with linear adjustment from 30% to 65% critically damped in low-speed rebound
    -Little crosstalk between rebound and compression adjustments
    -Use Ohlins DFV as example "shock dyno template"
    -Main uses will likely be street/track, stance, and drag applications

    Anything else?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Points
    1,522.3
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I really recommend looking at the front mounts, and trying to remove the weight of the vehicle from the spherical bearing (pillowball) and using something like a torrington bearing to support the weight of the car. If this is not done, it is almost certain play will develop in the spherical bearing leading to noisy mounts.

    If the spring hat rests on the bottom of the sliding portion of the mount using a torrington bearing, then the spherical bearing can control the position of the strut shaft, and the torrington bearing takes the weight of the car. Some o-rings on the inside and outside of the torrington bearing between the spring hat and the sliding portion of the mount could be used to keep dust and water out.

    Other than that, it's always good to see more options. what kind of price would the finished product be offered at?
    Eppur si muove.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    56
    Rep Points
    83.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    http://www.fortune-auto.com/apps/web...s/show/3772489#

    Something like that? These applications will have camber plates standard. Their design looks pretty similar to Vorshlag.

    List is going to be starting around $1500 IIRC.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Points
    1,522.3
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Reputation: Yes | No
    That design allows the spring to spin independent of the strut mount which is important for two reasons. First, when turning the front wheels this is necessary to prevent binding of the spring in a MacPhereson strut front suspension. Second, when the spring is compressed, it will naturally wants to unwind slightly which causes the top of the spring to rotate relative to the bottom, so the design above allows this to happen resulting in a smoother feeling suspension.

    I have never held the Fortune Auto camber plates in my hands, but it appears from the pictures I've seen that the thrust loads from the weight of the car are transferred through the spring perch and into the spherical bearing. This is what I am talking about preventing.

    Click here to enlarge
    (From http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...coilovers.html)

    Here you have to torrington bearing installed between the spring perch and the spring. In the image posted in the thread above, the bearing is installed between the spring perch and the mount. Either way it allows for rotation of the spring, but still transfers the thrust loads to the spherical bearing.

    If you can envision a version of the mount above where the green spring perch directly contacts the black slide and in between the is torrington bearing, that would be what I am talking about. The thrust loads would be transferred directly to the mount, and the spherical bearing would position the strut shaft.
    Eppur si muove.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    56
    Rep Points
    83.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Gotcha. I'm tracking now. I don't think I've seen that application for the e90 style top mount, yet. I've handled GC, Vorshlag, and TCK.

    I'll ask. Makes sense to me. I wonder what you lose in adjustability with that?

    Worst case, if you know of an OTS solution, I bet they can just omit the top mount, discount you, and then you can use the other camber plate

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Points
    1,522.3
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Doyle Click here to enlarge
    Gotcha. I'm tracking now. I don't think I've seen that application for the e90 style top mount, yet. I've handled GC, Vorshlag, and TCK.

    I'll ask. Makes sense to me. I wonder what you lose in adjustability with that?

    Worst case, if you know of an OTS solution, I bet they can just omit the top mount, discount you, and then you can use the other camber plate
    Really? The Ground Control website specifically states its plates have the feature I am talking about:

    The Ground Control camber plates feature two sets of bearings, a proprietary bearing, made to our specs by Aurora in the USA, which allows for articulation of the shock shaft. This spherical bearing is very understressed, as the Ground Control design does NOT support the weight of the car on the spherical bearing. Instead, the weight of the car is supported by a completely separate articulating needle bearing, which is also manufactured for Ground Control in the USA
    From http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=845/CA=165

    These are the race plates for the E90.

    I'm not saying the Fortune Auto coil overs are not any good, or that you are wrong. I just want to make sure we have good information here.
    Eppur si muove.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    56
    Rep Points
    83.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Lol. I'm not offended, just didn't realize GC had 2 lines of camber plates. These are the ones I looked at:

    http://www.ground-control-store.com/...p/II=897/CA=97

    I'll def ask next time I speak with Terry.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Points
    1,522.3
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Doyle Click here to enlarge
    Lol. I'm not offended, just didn't realize GC had 2 lines of camber plates. These are the ones I looked at:

    http://www.ground-control-store.com/...p/II=897/CA=97

    I'll def ask next time I speak with Terry.
    Sometimes on the internet comments can be taken the wrong way because you cannot judge a person's inflection based on their typing. And some people just like to be a-holes because they feel there are no repercussions because they are not likely to ever meet the person they are insulting.

    Those are GC's street camber plates. They have a poly isolation bushing which fully prevents noise at the cost of slightly more rubberyness, if you will. They also have a bearing that prevents spring bind when turning.

    That's the whole point of moving the thrust loads off of the spherical bearing. In time, the bearing will develop play, and that will create noise. That might be fine if you have a Honda (no offense to Honda owners) with no seats, carpet or exhaust, but for a German luxury sedan, it's unacceptable to me.

    I'm interested to see what Fortune Auto comes up with. Keep us posted.
    Eppur si muove.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    56
    Rep Points
    83.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    hahaha. It takes a lot for me to get butt hurt over something like an obscure mechanical part. I agree, though, the internet needs to HTFU.

    I absolutely see what you're saying re: loading up the monoball bushing. It makes sense. I've had my Vorshlags for 3 years and numerous track days and a wife that put the car into a curb front wheel first. Still no damage or noise. Although, Vorshlag makes note they have the biggest monoballs in the business. Double entendre intended.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,173
    Rep Points
    1,066.5
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    11


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    I really recommend looking at the front mounts, and trying to remove the weight of the vehicle from the spherical bearing (pillowball) and using something like a torrington bearing to support the weight of the car. If this is not done, it is almost certain play will develop in the spherical bearing leading to noisy mounts.

    If the spring hat rests on the bottom of the sliding portion of the mount using a torrington bearing, then the spherical bearing can control the position of the strut shaft, and the torrington bearing takes the weight of the car. Some o-rings on the inside and outside of the torrington bearing between the spring hat and the sliding portion of the mount could be used to keep dust and water out.

    Other than that, it's always good to see more options. what kind of price would the finished product be offered at?
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Doyle Click here to enlarge
    hahaha. It takes a lot for me to get butt hurt over something like an obscure mechanical part. I agree, though, the internet needs to HTFU.

    I absolutely see what you're saying re: loading up the monoball bushing. It makes sense. I've had my Vorshlags for 3 years and numerous track days and a wife that put the car into a curb front wheel first. Still no damage or noise. Although, Vorshlag makes note they have the biggest monoballs in the business. Double entendre intended.
    Did you ever get an answer for this? I'm looking to either buy stock M3 shocks and springs for a project I'm taking on or I was considering getting the FA 500/510 series coil overs. But I'd hate to buy something that is worse than stock suspension lol

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •