Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,745
    Rep Points
    1,330.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Yes Reputation No

    Someone help me decide on my next car

    I know a lot of you have driven/own all the cars I'm looking at, so it would be great to hear some opinions.

    I have some time before I purchase one, but I feel it would be good to start looking for the right car (or at least decide what I want) soon. These aren't cars I can find locally, so I want to know what I want before I drive all over the country trying to figure it out lol.

    Here are the following cars (as of now) that I am considering:

    GTR (new)
    997.1 or 997.2 GT3 RS (used) - would prefer 997.2
    997.1 Turbo (used) - I like the 997.1 because you can make much more power on stock internals

    Now that I have the list, if anyone has driven any or all of these cars and can give me some feedback, that would be great! Obviously I need to drive all of these cars before I make the final decision, but if someone could help me narrow it down to at least two cars, that would be a huge time saver.
    Click here to enlarge


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,212
    Rep Points
    1,811.1
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Here's a question that well help determine which is the best option: What are you looking to do with the car?

    If you want a track toy, the GT3 obviously is the best option. If you want a pure HP sled, it's a coin toss between the GTR & Turbo P-Cars. If you want the all out, fastest machine that'll make lots of power really easily, then go for the GTR. If you want a car that's more rewarding to the driver (especially b/c you can buy it with a MT) and still has the German refinement, then a Turbo P-Car is the right choice.


    Chances are it'll also be easiest to find a fairly priced/low mileage GTR (vs the 997.1) because the R35 has essentially been the same car across it's entire life cycle (and the aftermarket has been thoroughly investigated) and has higher production numbers. Meanwhile, the 997.1 was only on sale from '07-'09, varied between 6MTs and the 5 speed PDK, and then you're stuck with the 997.2.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump


    "The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,745
    Rep Points
    1,330.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14



    Yes Reputation No
    It will see a little track time, but nothing like my M3 (which I will still own). I'm really looking for something that LOOKS good (which is not what I usually look for in a car) that is also a very rewarding driving experience. I'll be absolutely engulfed in work for the next few years and driving is the little bit of fun I will still have, so I really need it to be something I am very excited to get into every time I go for a drive. Thats how I feel every time I drive the M3 fwiw. The reason I am considering a GT3 RS even though I wont track it allll the time, is because I've really fallen in love with NA power. On the other hand, I love the fact that I can make turbo cars just insanely fast with a small amount of work.

    When It comes down to GTR vs. 911 turbo, I keep hearing that the 911 is just too soft. I guess I need to get in one and see for myself. I personally love the way the GTR looks, contrary to popular opinion. The only thing that is keeping the porsche in my list of options is the nice interior and 6MT. Very tough decisions lol
    Click here to enlarge


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    419
    Rep Points
    601.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    My business partner has a 997.1 turbo - I've driven it, it's fast as $#@!, but there are a few key things that would turn me away:

    1) I'm too big for it. The cockpit is cramped.
    2) It's too quiet & refined.
    3) More turbo lag than I thought there would be.

    If you're of smaller build, and like to go very fast in comfort, it would probably be the ideal car. But if you prefer something more obnoxious & raw, look elsewhere.
    ~

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,745
    Rep Points
    1,330.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
    My business partner has a 997.1 turbo - I've driven it, it's fast as $#@!, but there are a few key things that would turn me away:

    1) I'm too big for it. The cockpit is cramped.
    2) It's too quiet & refined.
    3) More turbo lag than I thought there would be.

    If you're of smaller build, and like to go very fast in comfort, it would probably be the ideal car. But if you prefer something more obnoxious & raw, look elsewhere.
    I'm 6'0" ~205 lbs. Are you much larger or smaller than I am? Your second point is what worries me.

    Thanks!
    Click here to enlarge


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    419
    Rep Points
    601.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    6'1" .. weight no clue these days, but not skinny or fat .. average for height I guess.

    As for the sound of the 997, the Turbo sounds even less aggressive than my old 335i. It's his biggest issue with the car, he hates the sound (or lack thereof). Having to drive along side my loud-ish M3 doesn't help either Click here to enlarge

    We've explored all kinds of exhaust options for his car, but the 997.1 has a single piece exhaust - no test pipes or similar are available (997.2 does have bolt-ons available). You basically have to either buy a full aftermarket exhaust, which cost $$$$ or straight pipes which sound like a tractor. I don't think many people would cut up a stock exhaust, replacement cost is up there.

    Now he is going to focus on engine sound instead - intakes, DVs, etc.
    ~

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,735
    Rep Points
    2,061.2
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Finally got to drive GT-R last month, brand new Black Edition. Honestly it lived up to the hype and much more. It really blew me away. I have driven a couple 911 turbos, manual and tiptronic. The GTR blew it out of the water. I haven't had a chance to drive a 911tt with PDK.

    I thought I test drove the GT-R pretty hard. The salesman got behind the wheel, precedes to tell me he use to be an old dirt tracker. Then drove like a maniac. The GT-R just pulled like a freight train in any gear at any speed.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jerzee
    Posts
    2,306
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    GT3 RS... I have driven them all and the most raw driving experience is the GT3, the Turbo is certainly a ton of fun and the GTR really defies logic on many fronts but the enjoyment isnt as high when you know most anyone can get the same performance from one. Vs the GT3 & Turbo require more driver skill.

    I actually drove a 2011 and 2013 GTR this week and I admit I like them just which it was more involved. The GT3 for me just says balance, speed, poise and style all at once.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,745
    Rep Points
    1,330.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
    6'1" .. weight no clue these days, but not skinny or fat .. average for height I guess.

    As for the sound of the 997, the Turbo sounds even less aggressive than my old 335i. It's his biggest issue with the car, he hates the sound (or lack thereof). Having to drive along side my loud-ish M3 doesn't help either Click here to enlarge

    We've explored all kinds of exhaust options for his car, but the 997.1 has a single piece exhaust - no test pipes or similar are available (997.2 does have bolt-ons available). You basically have to either buy a full aftermarket exhaust, which cost $$$$ or straight pipes which sound like a tractor. I don't think many people would cut up a stock exhaust, replacement cost is up there.

    Now he is going to focus on engine sound instead - intakes, DVs, etc.
    Yeah, I really want something that will make me grin when I hear it at WOT. I personally love the way the GTR sounds after hearing so many of them at the track. I think that kind of narrows it down to the GT3 RS and GTR for me. Although I would still like to drive one in MT, I dont think its a car I will be purchasing. Too bad the GT2 is so expensive lol.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
    Finally got to drive GT-R last month, brand new Black Edition. Honestly it lived up to the hype and much more. It really blew me away. I have driven a couple 911 turbos, manual and tiptronic. The GTR blew it out of the water. I haven't had a chance to drive a 911tt with PDK.

    I thought I test drove the GT-R pretty hard. The salesman got behind the wheel, precedes to tell me he use to be an old dirt tracker. Then drove like a maniac. The GT-R just pulled like a freight train in any gear at any speed.
    Wow, thats awesome. Did you feel very envolved when you were driving it or did you feel that it was "doing all the work?" @onurleft keeps telling me how unimpressive they really are, but I haven't been in one. There are so many great reviews about them, and thats what really catches my attention. If it truly lives up to the hype, it may be the perfect DD for me.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    GT3 RS... I have driven them all and the most raw driving experience is the GT3, the Turbo is certainly a ton of fun and the GTR really defies logic on many fronts but the enjoyment isnt as high when you know most anyone can get the same performance from one. Vs the GT3 & Turbo require more driver skill.

    I actually drove a 2011 and 2013 GTR this week and I admit I like them just which it was more involved. The GT3 for me just says balance, speed, poise and style all at once.
    So you would say GT3 > GTR > turbo? I'm not sure if you got to romp on the GT3, but how did the power feel? My main concern with the GT3 is that I will get bored with the 450bhp. I know the GT3 is much more fun on the track than the GTR and turbo, but do you think it would be more fun on the street as well?

    Thanks!
    Click here to enlarge


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,212
    Rep Points
    1,811.1
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Yes Reputation No
    With the GT3, the most with aftermarket bolt-ons & tuning you'll get is like 50-75 HP, so if you feel like it's not "that fast" and don't get turned on everytime you drive the RPMs into the 8k range, then the GTR might be better. Jotech list a "Stage 1 Package" (Exhaust, Intake & COBB PROtune) taking the car up to 580 BHP for ~$6k, and then a "Stage 2" (Bolt-ons + Upgraded Fueling) bumping you to 740 BHP for ~$10k.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump


    "The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The world...
    Posts
    1,331
    Rep Points
    1,202.2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Personal decision... swaying anyone on a question like this is useless.
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

    N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,745
    Rep Points
    1,330.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    Personal decision... swaying anyone on a question like this is useless.
    Okay, thanks for the help.
    Click here to enlarge


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,745
    Rep Points
    1,330.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    With the GT3, the most with aftermarket bolt-ons & tuning you'll get is like 50-75 HP, so if you feel like it's not "that fast" and don't get turned on everytime you drive the RPMs into the 8k range, then the GTR might be better. Jotech list a "Stage 1 Package" (Exhaust, Intake & COBB PROtune) taking the car up to 580 BHP for ~$6k, and then a "Stage 2" (Bolt-ons + Upgraded Fueling) bumping you to 740 BHP for ~$10k.
    Yeah, I've looked into it and I think the GT3 would end up being in the 425whp range while I could easily get the GTR around 600awhp. I hope to rent each for a track day before I purchase a car. Both cars are available during the exotic driving event @ NOLA. Too bad you only get 5 laps -_-
    Click here to enlarge


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,735
    Rep Points
    2,061.2
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forcefed Click here to enlarge
    Wow, thats awesome. Did you feel very envolved when you were driving it or did you feel that it was "doing all the work?" @onurleft keeps telling me how unimpressive they really are, but I haven't been in one. There are so many great reviews about them, and thats what really catches my attention. If it truly lives up to the hype, it may be the perfect DD for me.
    I drove the black edition, not sure how much of a difference that makes. As far as being involved, it isn't a GT3 RS that is for sure. But honestly no car really is like that. The GT-R didn't feel like the old "robot" comments you read. When I drove it, it moved around quite a bit more than I expected. I was hustling it a lot around corners, it felt alive to me. Steering was very responsive. I think the robot comments come from straight line acceleration. It simply puts the power down to the ground, no tires slip...nothing. It grips and goes, launching it is effortless (that is huge plus in my book, not a negative). I have a good friend that has a 997.2 GT3, he tracks it at least once a week. But it definitely isn't his daily driver. The GT-R could easily be driven everyday, it was actually very comfortable.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,267
    Rep Points
    32,709.2
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Nobody suggested an Aventador?

    Kidding, from that list 997.1 turbo.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,745
    Rep Points
    1,330.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Nobody suggested an Aventador?

    Kidding, from that list 997.1 turbo.
    LOL I wish. Any specific reason for your choice? After posting so much about various cars, I'm sure you have a good bit of knowledge on the 3 options I listed.
    Click here to enlarge


  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,267
    Rep Points
    32,709.2
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forcefed Click here to enlarge
    LOL I wish. Any specific reason for your choice? After posting so much about various cars, I'm sure you have a good bit of knowledge on the 3 options I listed.
    The 997.1 Turbo price will be pushed down a bit with the 991 turbo. Additionally, it has the GT1 block.

    The GT3 is the drivers choice. The GTR is the choice if you want your car to drive you.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jerzee
    Posts
    2,306
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forcefed Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, I really want something that will make me grin when I hear it at WOT. I personally love the way the GTR sounds after hearing so many of them at the track. I think that kind of narrows it down to the GT3 RS and GTR for me. Although I would still like to drive one in MT, I dont think its a car I will be purchasing. Too bad the GT2 is so expensive lol.



    Wow, thats awesome. Did you feel very envolved when you were driving it or did you feel that it was "doing all the work?" @onurleft keeps telling me how unimpressive they really are, but I haven't been in one. There are so many great reviews about them, and thats what really catches my attention. If it truly lives up to the hype, it may be the perfect DD for me.



    So you would say GT3 > GTR > turbo? I'm not sure if you got to romp on the GT3, but how did the power feel? My main concern with the GT3 is that I will get bored with the 450bhp. I know the GT3 is much more fun on the track than the GTR and turbo, but do you think it would be more fun on the street as well?

    Thanks!

    The GT3 was driven on the street along with the other two cars... For me I really loved the NA GT3, the throttle response was crisp and the RPM band is awesome IMO. It can tool along in commuter traffic, murder B roads or get used at the track as a weapon. Its happy to be your friend, a hooligan or anywhere in between. A few subtle mods can make it even better IMO. Coilovers, wheels/tires and an exhaust/intake/tune to eek out every last drop of power from it. The best compromise is the 911 Turbo if making more power is really your thing however as you can effectively tweak the Turbo to handle like the GT3 or hell convert to RWD for a budget GT2 LOL.

    The GTR is really a novelty its bloody fast, insanely efficient and defies most logic of speed and weight. But its a bit clunky in normal driving, its still heavy despite the illusion its handling & AWD give you and its a big car overall. Sight lines are horrible front, side and rear. And the car looks slab sided to me so once lowered on wheels/tires it doesnt always look good. Wheel choice and wing removal for me are the most important items to add so it has a visual punch. Then I would want to focus on weight reduction (rear seat delete, no spare tire, carbon fiber hood/trunk, lightweight leather seats) and serious suspension work. I would focus on power last

    I put serious thought into the GTR last week after a dealer offered me all the money for my FRC and a 2009 GTR with 8K for $58K... I drove the car for 24hrs and two things killed it for me.

    1. I felt like it drove me and not the other way around
    2. It was a unique light blue color I didnt really like
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    710
    Rep Points
    569.0
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Check out 6speedonline.com. This has been discussed numerous times from people who have made the switch.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

    Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,745
    Rep Points
    1,330.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by StinkyM Click here to enlarge
    Check out 6speedonline.com. This has been discussed numerous times from people who have made the switch.
    Thanks, I have looked at 6speed a good bit.
    Click here to enlarge


  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,745
    Rep Points
    1,330.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    The GT3 was driven on the street along with the other two cars... For me I really loved the NA GT3, the throttle response was crisp and the RPM band is awesome IMO. It can tool along in commuter traffic, murder B roads or get used at the track as a weapon. Its happy to be your friend, a hooligan or anywhere in between. A few subtle mods can make it even better IMO. Coilovers, wheels/tires and an exhaust/intake/tune to eek out every last drop of power from it. The best compromise is the 911 Turbo if making more power is really your thing however as you can effectively tweak the Turbo to handle like the GT3 or hell convert to RWD for a budget GT2 LOL.

    The GTR is really a novelty its bloody fast, insanely efficient and defies most logic of speed and weight. But its a bit clunky in normal driving, its still heavy despite the illusion its handling & AWD give you and its a big car overall. Sight lines are horrible front, side and rear. And the car looks slab sided to me so once lowered on wheels/tires it doesnt always look good. Wheel choice and wing removal for me are the most important items to add so it has a visual punch. Then I would want to focus on weight reduction (rear seat delete, no spare tire, carbon fiber hood/trunk, lightweight leather seats) and serious suspension work. I would focus on power last

    I put serious thought into the GTR last week after a dealer offered me all the money for my FRC and a 2009 GTR with 8K for $58K... I drove the car for 24hrs and two things killed it for me.

    1. I felt like it drove me and not the other way around
    2. It was a unique light blue color I didnt really like
    Thanks, this is the best comparison I have read so far. The GT3 RS really is my number one choice, hopefully I can find the right one for me. There arent many for sale and the "perfect" ones seem to sell pretty quickly. I've located a GT3 (not an RS) rather close, but I doubt they will let me test drive it. The local BMW dealership wouldn't even let anyone drive an M3 that was on the lot LOL.
    Click here to enlarge


  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The world...
    Posts
    1,331
    Rep Points
    1,202.2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forcefed Click here to enlarge
    Okay, thanks for the help.
    I've only discussed and argued this 100 times and the outcome in the end is the same. Drive all relevant cars and make a decision because it is as personal choice.
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

    N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    538
    Rep Points
    1,302.2
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,267
    Rep Points
    32,709.2
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by StinkyM Click here to enlarge
    Check out 6speedonline.com. This has been discussed numerous times from people who have made the switch.
    Sigh.... $#@! that.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,267
    Rep Points
    32,709.2
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    With the GT3, the most with aftermarket bolt-ons & tuning you'll get is like 50-75 HP, so if you feel like it's not "that fast" and don't get turned on everytime you drive the RPMs into the 8k range, then the GTR might be better. Jotech list a "Stage 1 Package" (Exhaust, Intake & COBB PROtune) taking the car up to 580 BHP for ~$6k, and then a "Stage 2" (Bolt-ons + Upgraded Fueling) bumping you to 740 BHP for ~$10k.
    Less than that unless you start with a 3.6 and then build the motor.

    The GT3 is HARD to squeeze power out of.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •