Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Genetically Modified Food

Can someone please explain to me what all the hatred of genetically modified food in general is about? Secondly, explain all the hatred for Monsanto as well.

I am relatively ignorant of the topic but there has been a lot of noise about it lately.

Here's the extent of my knowledge:

(1) Companies, like monsanto, breed plants like corn to do things like need less water, be resistent to herbicides, etc...
    (2) to do so, they breed plants like people breed dogs ie. find two dogs that are really good at swimming/retrieving and, after a long period of careful breeding, you eventually get a Labrador retriever.
    (3) I prefer seedless grapes to grapes with seeds. The same goes for oranges and watermelons.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Genetically modified vs selective crossbreeding

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by .blackgt. Click here to enlarge
    Genetically modified vs selective crossbreeding

Please explain.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    cross breeding of plants to yield desired results, such as small seeds or bigger fruits, has been done since the dawn of agriculture. Seedless oranges and seedless grapes, for example, are the result of cultivating naturally occurring seedless plants. The navel orange is descended from a seedless orange tree found on a plantation in Brazil in the nineteenth century. This tree was a mutation, that is, something in its genetic material had spontaneously changed, resulting in this unique plant. Orange growers propagated new trees from the original navel, so that all the navel oranges available in markets today are descended from that Brazilian tree. This is how plant breeding works.
    Genetic Modification, on the other hand, involves taking genes from one species and inserting them into another. For example, genes from an arctic flounder (which obviously are resistant to cold temperatures) may be spliced into a tomato to prevent frost damage, allowing yields later into the season. Organic fruits and vegetables CANNOT be raised using genetic modification! This is yet another benefit of choosing organic. Not all foods are genetically engineered.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Genetically modified food is a huge can of (figurative) worms. From ethically questionable patents on plants & microorganisms, the leverage of Big Agra over local farmers, the clout of the food industry over the FDA, and censored reports on food safety, at the very least you have to ask why other countries have either banned or require labeling of GMO foods (UK, Germany, Italy, Japan, China, Brazil).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Something that should not be fed to humans.....
    John 3:16

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fieldysnuts8 Click here to enlarge
    Can someone please explain to me what all the hatred of genetically modified food in general is about?
    I have no idea. I have someone on my facebook feed who does nothing but post about this so I blocked them.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    from what i've read they add something like pesticides to things like corn seeds so that bugs that eat from that plant will die and eventually the others will know not to eat from those plants but the problem is, is that the pesticide or w.e it is can be found in humans because it doesnt disappear as they claim. their seeds also have to be replanted every year which farmers dont like and i think when the wind blows the seeds around they kill the other non modified seeds
    m3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If as much time and effort went into making bigger and more potent weed we would have tomatoes the size of pumpkins.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I have no idea. I have someone on my facebook feed who does nothing but post about this so I blocked them.
    LOL I think everyone I know complains of someone like that... Im not on there though...

however in college I took a Environmental Pollution course and it was rather disturbing... I remember specifically Mansanto was getting $#@!ed at in one video I watched about their economical tactics which involve bullying with money and monopolizing and purposely putting organic farmers big or small out of business to the best of their powers. Furthermore tests were done locally to residents and many had alarming urine test results...

also hydrofracking video drove me crazy.... in a small town where they drill for natural gas a private company came in to follow up on residents complaints of their water being flammable. And sure enough it was and it was VERY flammable and many reported to have been drinking it without any warning from any local gov't or the company doing the drilling. Even still they refused to take blame after the water test came back extremely toxic.

I believe this is a scene from that film.

09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    LOL I think everyone I know complains of someone like that... Im not on there though...

however in college I took a Environmental Pollution course and it was rather disturbing... I remember specifically Mansanto was getting $#@!ed at in one video I watched about their economical tactics which involve bullying with money and monopolizing and purposely putting organic farmers big or small out of business to the best of their powers. Furthermore tests were done locally to residents and many had alarming urine test results...

also hydrofracking video drove me crazy.... in a small town where they drill for natural gas a private company came in to follow up on residents complaints of their water being flammable. And sure enough it was and it was VERY flammable and many reported to have been drinking it without any warning from any local gov't or the company doing the drilling. Even still they refused to take blame after the water test came back extremely toxic.

I believe this is a scene from that film.

http://youtu.be/XMS8VsG2LSY
    I'm glad people are watching this, definitely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah now a days there is a trend of breeding the plan to get some best products.
    Seedless grapes have been produced, and various other fruits such as oranges, mangoes, melons, and peaches have been made more tasty and delicious through the breeding.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Sticky How does one have 0 post after they made a post. Lord voldemort?
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    @Sticky How does one have 0 post after they made a post. Lord voldemort?
    OT doesn't count.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    OT doesn't count.
    Damnit ive been wasting time
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I say google / youtube the topic and you will find out many crazy things. Not sure but "food inc" might be one of the movies on the topic. The way I see GMO (mostly Monsanto) is to control the market, once they (farmers) buy your seeds you can engineer whatever to make them buy more of your seeds and other products. In other words, they are hooked on your crap and money in the bank. Like all things follow the money trail... There are many other "controversial" topics, like the federal reserve (not a government institution). As well as things Nikola Tesla worked on and I think the key defining moment for our generation was that J.P. Morgan said to Nikola Tesla in 1900s or so "if you cannot put a meter on it, it will not work". In other words, if you invent something where you "can't put a meter on", then how are you going to collect money?

But hey, most people believe the news 100% (holy truth) and say you are crazy if you ask whyClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inter1032 Click here to enlarge
    from what i've read they add something like pesticides to things like corn seeds so that bugs that eat from that plant will die and eventually the others will know not to eat from those plants but the problem is, is that the pesticide or w.e it is can be found in humans because it doesnt disappear as they claim. their seeds also have to be replanted every year which farmers dont like and i think when the wind blows the seeds around they kill the other non modified seeds
    Close...monsanto $#@!s with farmers who happen to be near other farmers growing gmo crops. When the wind blows over the gmo plants begin to grow on their fields amd eventually monsanto demands that they pay royalties even though they didnt intentionally plant something derived from their labs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Damnit ive been wasting time
    If you want to waste time, OT is the best place to do it Click here to enlarge
    Who cares about post counts anyway?
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    If you want to waste time, OT is the best place to do it Click here to enlarge
    Who cares about post counts anyway?
    Click here to enlarge I'm trying to catch up to sticky LOL. Your rep points are as much as your post, damnit.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge I'm trying to catch up to sticky LOL.
    That will never happen I guess.
    Unless Sticky dies and leaves you in charge of the XXXBoost forums.
    And that will probably never happen either Click here to enlarge

Your rep points are as much as your post, damnit.
    That is a lot of work, I can tell you.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works